• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a real frazetta?

16 posts in this topic

Saw this auction on ebay and was surprised at how low the bids are.Was thinking of bidding, but something about the sharpness in the shadows is making me hesitant. Is this real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140921145430&afsrc=1

Total fake. Run away. This bozo has been hawking fake Frazetta's right and left. There's been a lot of discussion about the seller on Comicart-l. Do not be fooled and do not bid.

Scott

Saw this auction on ebay and was surprised at how low the bids are.Was thinking of bidding, but something about the sharpness in the shadows is making me hesitant. Is this real?

Total fake. Run away. This bozo has been hawking fake Frazetta's right and left. There's been a lot of discussion about the seller on Comicart-l. Do not be fooled and do not bid.

Scott

Thanks for confirming Scott! Everything felt wrong about this, but I wasn't 100% and didn't want to insult anyone if it were real. running far away.

It closed at $2200+.

As for reporting it as a fake, there's a report item choice, but it's hard to get eBay to take it down unless you are the artist or rights holder. It's a "my word vs. your word" problem.

Auction ended over 2k. I reported it anyway (there's a 'report item' tab on the listing), and I know others have reported his other items in the past, so if the buyer doesn't do something stupid like wiring the money, they should still have some protection.

I reported those as well. Of course, it is just my opinion that they are fakes and Ebay has no obligation to stop the seller. Possibly if more people report the problem it would make a better case? It can be difficult to locate the category:

Report Item>Copyright and trademark>Counterfeit Item>Counterfeit, Fake or Replica Items

I have been in contact with this seller for the past two months explaining to him that in my opinion these are not original Frazetta sketches. He feels confident that they are (Boston gallery receipt as well as what is purported to be a letter from Ellie stating that they are authentic). Despite what is stated by countless fans and collectors, he is sticking to his guns and continues to sell.

Unfortunately, Ebay will do very little as the product has shipped and transactions like these continue to make the company a handsome profit. It is my view that situtations, such as this has caused the company to shield the theives, even more by encrypting the winner bidder's ID.

The trouble is, the seller continues to have 100% feedback! I seriously doubt the post inspection service would care enough to get involved.

Three thousand dollars for a fake!!!

Scott

I'm assuming it's been determined a fake since it bears little resemblance to his other workstudy and loose watercolors?