• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You might be a Golden Age fantatic if...

43 posts in this topic

...if you search for an air freshener that smells like old comic book paper! insane.gif

Mothballs are still one of my favorite smells because the first collection I bought (when I was 15) was stored in a cedar chest with mothballs. I still have several of those books and I get a huge memory rush when I smell them. cloud9.gif

At work, mine is Worlds of Fear #6 on one system and Strange Suspense Stories #22 on the other. I also have color copies of such delights as Superworld Comics #1, The Perfect Crime #22 ("You dope peddling days are over, Cokey!") and others. The work folk get a kick out of it and "Cokey" is now in common usage!

At home I have a 1931 DRACULA castle stairs scene on one and a 1931 FRANKENSTEIN lab scene on the other. 893applaud-thumb.gif

A guy at work came by my desk one day and asked if I like old comics. He had seen my National Comics #16 (Uncle Sam vs the Nazi skeleton) wall paper. I told him I was a colledtior and he asked if I was interested in buying some of his books he had as a child (he was in his early-50s). He came to work the next day with a/b 10 books... FF12, Avengers 4, ASM 14-20, junk like that... all VF-ish. Unfortuantely I was not in the position to make him a fair offer. I did, however, give him a bunch of fullbacks and mylars to keep them in instead of an old paper sack.

... if you think that 48 pages isn't "giant" -- heck, it ain't even average.

... if you think that taking 6 issues to tell a story is 5 3/4 issues too long.

... the phrase "in a timely manner" makes you want to smach in some Nazi's skull with your shield.

....you don't feel that trolling, flaming and other sorts of antagonistic posting are integral parts of participating on these boards. Sorry, I just came here from Comics General.

....CGC doesn't mean having to pay multiples of guide.

....Your SA and BA books seem to flop around in their mylars because you thought their was only one size.

....Your books may have been one of millions but are now scarce in any grade

.... If you don't know what the comic authority is.

.... If you have a picture of wertham in your office with devil's horns and fangs drawn on it.

You might be a Golden Age fantatic if...

FF stands for Famous Funnies (not Fantastic Four)

MM stands for Marvel Mystery (not Miracleman)

SS stands for Silver Streak (not Silver Surfer)

GG stands for Green Giant (not Green Goblin)

West smirk.gif