• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You might be a Golden Age fantatic if...

43 posts in this topic

In the spirit of "Blue Comedy TV" and Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a Redneck If", let's get a list going for us golden oldie collectors!

..if you think anything printed after 1955 is passé.

..if you have a golden age comic book computer background or screensaver

..if you have some sort of anti-Nazi posters hanging in your basement, including swipes from comic book covers

..if a .12 cover price immediately turns you off

..if the "Comics Code Authority" makes you giggle and think "Not on my books!"

..if you know what "D-9-25" or "C-8-14" means scribbled in pencil on the front cover.

Off the top of my head, while trying to get some work done today. Others?

...if you remember numbers by thinking of Golden Age covers, or a sequence of covers.

For example, my phone number is:

Batman #7 (bullseye cover)

Batman #23 (chess cover)

Action #82 (eagle cover)

Action #51 (Prankster cover)

Does anyone else do this? crazy.gif

[quote

..if you have a golden age comic book computer background or screensaver

Arrgh! My wallpaper at work is Jumbo Comics #114.

... when you can go into and out of a comic store in less than 30 seconds: "Got any golden age?" "Nope." "Thanks, bye."

... when the majority of your collection is VF or lower.

At work, mine is Worlds of Fear #6 on one system and Strange Suspense Stories #22 on the other. I also have color copies of such delights as Superworld Comics #1, The Perfect Crime #22 ("You dope peddling days are over, Cokey!") and others. The work folk get a kick out of it and "Cokey" is now in common usage!

At home I have a 1931 DRACULA castle stairs scene on one and a 1931 FRANKENSTEIN lab scene on the other. 893applaud-thumb.gif

...if you find a copy of New Adventure #24 with a spine split sealed and you don't think twice about paying full guide for it anyway, because, come on, a little restoration on a 1930's comic? No biggie.

...if you accidentally put a modern comic in a Golden Age mylar sleeve and then stare dumbfounded at it as if it were a DC Digest or a Fawcett Miniature. They charge $3.95 new for a flimsy little thin comic like that???

...if you find a copy of New Adventure #24 with a spine split sealed and you don't think twice about paying full guide for it anyway, because, come on, a little restoration on a 1930's comic? No biggie.

...if you accidentally put a modern comic in a Golden Age mylar sleeve and then stare dumbfounded at it as if it were a DC Digest or a Fawcett Miniature. They charge $3.95 new for a flimsy little thin comic like that???

...not to mention all the ADS in the new books! What, only 14 pages out of 32 that is actual comic book? 893frustrated.gif

My screen save is the animation sequence from the 1966 Batman series.......

You are GA if............

You haven't bought a duck book since 1959 because they are reprints.

You only get a hard on if a woman has pointy tits.

You smell a comic book before buying.

HG starts at 6.0.

Always the third thing I do when looking at a comic. thumbsup2.gif

I took a big sniff of a comic I was considering purchasing yeasterday that I didn't know had water damage (I hadn't looked at the interior or back cover yet), and almost fell over from the odor! 27_laughing.gif

Always the third thing I do when looking at a comic. thumbsup2.gif

I took a big sniff of a comic I was considering purchasing yeasterday that I didn't know had water damage (I hadn't looked at the interior or back cover yet), and almost fell over from the odor! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.giffrown.gif27_laughing.gif Always start with a delicate, almost effete, sniff. This serves two purposes: it prepares you for any rude surprises and also helps the preserve the nose for more sniffing through the day!

Way too funny,

My wife's birthday is Dancing Alfred Cover (Batman 22), My annivesary is Batman Eagle (Batman 17), my son's Birthday is Batman/Robin on motorcycle jumping through flaming ring (Batman 25). I thought I was the only one that did that!!!.

Actually I did sell one of them. Guess which one. devil.gif

Funny you say 1000 to one. With what I got for the Hulk 181 I could have only bought 40 of the All-Winners. Guess those old books just aren't all they're cracked up to be.

confused-smiley-013.gif