• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May C-Link Auction

38 posts in this topic

I have no doubt that at the time and time pressure to get the book out on time who knows who worked on a comic, really, but this...the credits....is all we have to look back on .....but I would say those are probably 90% accurate so yeah maybe you're right.

So the Wolvie 3 cover sold for a smidge under 50K in 2010. Hmm. Is it worth a lot more now?

In some ways 2010 seems like another era. I feel like it could just as easily go for 75K as it could 45K.

Yeah I am really interested in how this sale will compare to the earlier one. I am pretty sure this is not one of the pieces released by MIller in the last few years but was in the hands of a longtime collector, and IIRC this preceded those. Much more MIller around now, but then again as you say 2010 is another era.

So the Wolvie 3 cover sold for a smidge under 50K in 2010. Hmm. Is it worth a lot more now?

In some ways 2010 seems like another era. I feel like it could just as easily go for 75K as it could 45K.

Yeah I am really interested in how this sale will compare to the earlier one. I am pretty sure this is not one of the pieces released by MIller in the last few years but was in the hands of a longtime collector, and IIRC this preceded those. Much more MIller around now, but then again as you say 2010 is another era.

This was another era too, I suppose:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=971957

This was another era too, I suppose:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=971957

More like an apparition.

Also interesting is there is apparently no consensus on the inker of this cover. I don't see it being Royer, but either Giacoia or Verpoorten is plausible to me.

Just curious, why do you say it's not Royer?

Could be Royer. His inking usually seems a little smoother than this to me. Just a subtle sort of more-tied together look. I'm discounting the looseness of Cap because he is so beaten up that it's appropriate, but The Skull's clothes and the rock overhead seem more like Giacoia or Verpoorten to me.

I asked Mike and he said, "To the best of my memory- Hey...it was over 35 years ago- I think this [cover] is Verpoorten's inks.

Why can't I tell? Beats me."

lol

Well I would definitely call this a weaker example of a Cap Kirby, or Kirby piece in general. Not his best effort IMO.

I agree - the published cover looks pretty good, but I'm afraid the OA is just one of those examples that looks like a hot mess in B&W. I'll guess $24K for the ending price, though I would personally value it a bit lower.

I'm going to guess $45-$50K for the Wolvie 3. Beyond $60K I would be surprised. It's a memorable cover, though I'm not sure there will be more demand for it this time around than 3 years ago unless a couple of noobs decide they have to have this as an instant collection cornerstone. I see that it's a No Reserve sale, so it'll be interesting to see where the market is on this one. hm

Well I would definitely call this a weaker example of a Cap Kirby, or Kirby piece in general. Not his best effort IMO.

I agree - the published cover looks pretty good, but I'm afraid the OA is just one of those examples that looks like a hot mess in B&W. I'll guess $24K for the ending price, though I would personally value it a bit lower.

I'm going to guess $45-$50K for the Wolvie 3. Beyond $60K I would be surprised. It's a memorable cover, though I'm not sure there will be more demand for it this time around than 3 years ago unless a couple of noobs decide they have to have this as an instant collection cornerstone. I see that it's a No Reserve sale, so it'll be interesting to see where the market is on this one. hm

I wouldn't say hot mess, but whereas a lot of Kirby actually looks even better to me in B&W, this one seems to lose focus without color.

I feel the same as you on the Wolverine. Based on other Miller sales we are seeing, I will be surprised if the owner turns a big profit on this cover at this time. Especially considering it needs to go for something like 60K just to cover fees and break even.

Hey, was that your 9,999th post?!? :applause: