• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book does this belong to?

27 posts in this topic

Sorry no scans at the moment. But hopefully they'll be up soon.

Here's something I found among my books. I got this DAREDEVIL #82 with a terrible miss cut. Left side of the front cover has a good 1/4 inch white showing. Flip the book over to the back side and along the left edge shows part of another cover.

Anyone know what book that belongs to? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm real courious to know what was printed next to Daredevils.

Are you sure it's not the same issue? I would imagine that at the printer's a sheet of the same cover would be printed. Then each individual cover is cut and attached to the book. So with a miscut, the other cover would belong to the same issue.

Does that make sense?

Sheets of covers were commonly printed with several different titles on a single sheet.

It's a different book.

*Probably* one from the same publisher from the same month. (this could or could not be true.)

I'd say it isn't a Marvel comic because it's missing the banner. DC came to mind as that semi-circle could be a 25 cent logo. But then again, it doesn't look like a "complete" circle. More like a title letter in the logo. confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Doesn't seem to be enough room for a CCA box. The boxes were pretty big on early 70s DCs. I'm thinking the cover wasn't a DC or Marvel... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The first thing I thought when I saw that cover was...

CHARLTON

Doesn't seem to be enough room for a CCA box. The boxes were pretty big on early 70s DCs. I'm thinking the cover wasn't a DC or Marvel... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The first thing I thought when I saw that cover was...

CHARLTON

thumbsup2.gif Yep...first thing I thought of also....except I doubt they would be on the same cover stock as Marvels because of their notoriously cheap production record... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

It would be quite time-consuming,but heres hw to solve te problem.

1) Find the month/year of the title.

2) determine which other issues came out that week and a week after.

3) go to a site such as Mile High or My Comic shop and compare covers.

I've seen two other Marvels like this and the misprinted cover was from a DC.Two is not enough to establish a pattern but it shows the cover doesn't have to be a Marvel.

Good luck,keep us informed thumbsup2.gif

I'm sure we had another similar example on these boards a year ago where a sliver of a DC cover got cut on a Marvel book or vice versa. Trouble is, I cannot remember any key words to do a search. Seems like drbanner was involved in tracking down the book... maybe JC too? confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, and weren't Charltons printed in Connecticut instead of the Sparta (Illinois?) plant used by DC, Marvel etc?

It would be quite time-consuming,but heres hw to solve te problem.

1) Find the month/year of the title.

2) determine which other issues came out that week and a week after.

3) go to a site such as Mile High or My Comic shop and compare covers.

I've seen two other Marvels like this and the misprinted cover was from a DC.Two is not enough to establish a pattern but it shows the cover doesn't have to be a Marvel.

Good luck,keep us informed thumbsup2.gif

Cover date is December, 1971, which makes the Superman 246 guess wrong, too late.

Further, it cannot be a Charlton, as Charltons were printed in Derby, Connecticut, while Marvels (and DCs) were printed at World Color Press in Sparta, Illinois.