• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1939 Newsreel - behind the scenes of Fleischer Studios

17 posts in this topic

That really is cool. The attention to detail is one reason Fleischer made some of the best cartoons ever. It would be doubly cool to see the same type newsreel with a Superman cartoon :cloud9:

And all those sweet young ladies working on the production line...

...are great grandmothers now :luhv:

I wish I was 19 in 1939. But then again, I'd be dead now, so never mind. :insane:

I wish I was 19 in 1939. But then again, I'd be dead now, so never mind. :insane:

If you knew then what you know now your family would be really set up.

If you knew then what you know now your family would be really set up.

God if only.

It would be doubly cool to see the same type newsreel with a Superman cartoon :cloud9:

Oh man, that would be sweet.

There are some cool Fleischer Superman 'model sheets' on the net. Probably about as close as we'll get to 'behind the scenes' for Superman.

superman.jpg

21704fl.JPG

SupermanSM.jpg

599280_3596915923957_1426491811_n.jpg

the Fleischer Studios turned out some of the most beeyootiful animated films. :cloud9:

+1 I have a video of old Fleischer Superman cartoons, and they are pretty amazing :applause:

the Fleischer Studios turned out some of the most beeyootiful animated films. :cloud9:

+1 I have a video of old Fleischer Superman cartoons, and they are pretty amazing :applause:

i like the undersell on the "this looks like a job for Superman" line too, nowadays it'd have over the top emphasis on the first syllable of Superman

Thanks for posting the video.

The narrator mentioned the studio was in Miami. So I checked Google, and sure enough, the facility still stands today. The facility is currently a City of Miami police station. It was well located in the 1940s and 1950s, very close to Wilcox Field (what is today known as Miami Int'l Airport). I'm sure the facility flew a lot of cartoonists and executives back-and-forth from New York and LA at the time.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-culture/fleischer-studio-in-miami-now-a-police-station-20042.html