• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: Those of you with non CGC high grade books

60 posts in this topic

One thing I find quite amusing, is that in this thread and others, the same tenets of CGC grading are offered:

The only reason to CGC a comic is if you're going to sell it!

I only buy and sell CGC books for profit, and none stay in my collection for long.

I buy raw, CGC them, and then flip.

After constantly hearing stuff like this from the CGC Forum side of things, it really makes me wonder who's buying all these books, for what reason, and for how long. The market sure seems healthy, but I really wonder how many longterm, hold-em, CGC collectors there really are?

One thing I find quite amusing, is that in this thread and others, the same tenets of CGC grading are offered:

I only buy and sell CGC books for profit, and none stay in my collection for long.

After constantly hearing stuff like this from the CGC Forum side of things, it really makes me wonder who's buying all these books, for what reason, and for how long. The market sure seems healthy, but I really wonder how many longterm, hold-em, CGC collectors there really are?

I'm one of them. Don't get me wrong -- I own a ton of raw books too -- but I love my slabbed books just as much. Especially the ones without slab damage.

but slabbed or not, doesn't everyone, in one form or another, subscribe to the competitive collecting theory.

foreheadslap.gif Nope, I just like collecting comics from the time when I was a kid.

Then why did you complain so much when the "9.8s" (in reality, one 9.8) from Metro wasn't minty fresh? And why pay a "premium" for the so-called 9.8 in the first place?

makepoint.gif

hi.gif

I have alomst 100 CGC comics (about half of which I've bought on eBay, the other half I've submitted myself). I've never sold any, and don't plan to!

I'm one of them. Don't get me wrong -- I own a ton of raw books too -- but I love my slabbed books just as much. Especially the ones without slab damage.

me too! I just like buying high grade books...raw or slabbed, I dont care if the price is fair.

For books in my collection, they are either CGC'd or in a pile to be sent to CGC. Certifying my raw copy tells me where I stand from a liquidation standpoint and lets me know if my search for a better copy needs to continue.

Obviously, I temper my submissions, as I would prefer to buy more comics-although this year hasn't been favorable in that regard.

Certifying my raw copy tells me where I stand from a liquidation standpoint and lets me know if my search for a better copy needs to continue.

Maybe getting yourself a grading guide would be cheaper. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Then why did you complain so much when the "9.8s" (in reality, one 9.8) from Metro wasn't minty fresh? And why pay a "premium" for the so-called 9.8 in the first place?

makepoint.gif

I'm not sure if you know this or not (if not, then you're probably the only forum member) but I'm kind of a Byrne fanatic, and am working to get all of his 70's books in NM or better. I buy tons of his early work, have boxes and boxes of multiples, and will probably continue to buy even more.

I had a list as long as my arm of "NM+ Byrne" comics I was going to buy from Metro, and assumed that any 9.6 or 9.8 comic would hit the NM designation. But being careful, I decided to try a test run....

I want you to trust me on one thing:

I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE VF to VF/NM BYRNE COMICS, ESPECIALLY AT PER ISSUE PRICES ON PAR WITH BYRNE 10+ ISSUE NM LOTS ON EBAY.

I went to Metro expecting quality, not more quantity.

makepoint.gif

I'm not sure if you know this or not (if not, then you're probably the only forum member) but I'm kind of a Byrne fanatic, and am working to get all of his 70's books in NM or better. I buy tons of his early work, have boxes and boxes of multiples, and will probably continue to buy even more.

I had a list as long as my arm of "NM+ Byrne" comics I was going to buy from Metro, and assumed that any 9.6 or 9.8 comic would hit the NM designation. But being careful, I decided to try a test run....

I want you to trust me on one thing:

I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE VF to VF/NM BYRNE COMICS, ESPECIALLY AT PER ISSUE PRICES ON PAR WITH BYRNE 10+ ISSUE NM LOTS ON EBAY.

Then why did you have a 9.0 among the comics you ordered? And a 9.2 as well? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

For books in my collection, they are either CGC'd or in a pile to be sent to CGC. Certifying my raw copy tells me where I stand from a liquidation standpoint and lets me know if my search for a better copy needs to continue.

I'm a similar collector. I haven't actively been buying books for a couple of years, and the most of my collection was purchased roughly 15 years ago. I start CGCing some of my better books to test how CGC grades. Since then, I've been selling a few of my books from each CGC batch to cover the grading fees.

I don't plan on selling most of my books (sorry FFB), but like having them in the CGC holders. I also really appreciate the restoration check, especially since my Brave and Bold 28 came back restored and trimmed(!) and my beautiful ASM 50 has color touch.

These forums have educated me quite a bit...now I'm careful about handling the books to avoid slab damage, and the boards have also guided me on which books to sell. For example, should I sell a midgrade GA Batman, or a 9.0 Hulk 102 or ASM 129? Since it'll be easier to pick up the Hulk or ASM later, I've been selling those, if I need the cash.

OK lets say it is 1 yr from now and cgc turnaround times are down to a reasonable 30 days. As a newbie and only CGC collector, I am curious as to what the reasoning would be to not have your books graded. I am only speaking of BA or older books with this question. Some, albeit not all stories can be purchased in some form of TPB or reprint at this point so why would you not want to continue to preserve your "babies" for the next generation and know for sure whether what you have is extremely valuable to all (blue label 9.0 or better, best copy in existence, etc. ) or merely valuable to you ( PLOD, but a sweet copy of a classic or favorite cover/story). Not looking to start a war, just curious as one collector to another. confused-smiley-013.gif

Time for my 10 cents worth of opinion - I haven't got any of my collection slabbed because I see cgc as a tool for selling your books.

If the time comes and I want to get rid of them,then I would start sending them off.

Plus the fact I'll have to ship them to the States and then CGC would have to ship them back, yadda,yadda,yadda

Bet that would take more than 30 days 27_laughing.gif