• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who represents 21st century comicbook artists the best?

62 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations of artists who represent the current generation of artists because I'm looking to branch out from nostalgia, which for me would be anything before 2000. I want to find out if comics art by the newer generation of artists in 2013 has any appeal to me.

I still read new comics but only those by artists I know and love from my younger days of collecting, many of which are still the most popular artists around.

I'm always scrolling CBR comic previews looking for art that excites me don't know if it's that coloring has gotten to muddy or just that internet previews have such low quality resolution but i'm not finding any. I know they are out there though.

Realistically the stuff i really love is just way too expensive for me. I don't want to buy art just for nostalgia purposes nor do i want to continue reading comics like that. I'm looking for the new life blood, if there is any (for me) in comics art.

So my question is, who would you say the artists defining comics in 2013 are? Besides Jim Lee and the other iconic artists of the 70's-90's still working. I'm looking for artists who didn't really hit their prime until after 2004 because that's when my tastes stop evolving and I'd like to remedy that, without buying every book on the stands. I figure people who take the time and effort to seek out original art are the guys and gals most likely to really appreciate the question so...Thanks for your help if you choose to offer it.

Jim Lee is actually still really popular. This is hard to answer, as there are a ton of really great artists around these days, each with distinctive styles.

My favorite mainstream (superhero) artists are:

Jae Lee

Mike Mignola

Steve McNiven

John Cassaday

Bryan Hitch

Indy artists would be:

Geoff Darrow

Jeremy Bastian

Paul Pope

(I'd buy anything they 3 guys drew)

Note that none of these guys are cheap. And modern art in general is more expensive than you might expect.

In my view, you shouldn't rely on other people to tell you what to buy. Buy what you like! :makepoint:

Come on dude, that's not what I'm doing. My a lot my favorite artists today were my favorites in 1992, I'm trying to get out of what people call nostalgia collecting and check on the new school talent not just for original art collecting but for comics as well.

Jim Lee is actually still really popular. This is hard to answer, as there are a ton of really great artists around these days, each with distinctive styles.

Jae Lee

Mike Mignola

Steve McNiven

John Cassaday

Bryan Hitch

Indy artists would be:

Geoff Darrow

Jeremy Bastian

Paul Pope

Note that none of these guys are cheap. And modern art in general is more expensive than you might expect.

Thanks matt, Those guys were all rock n roll 10 -15 years ago. I love I'm looking for newer artists to check out. I miss the days of going to my LCS and finding 4 or 5 new artists I liked. I know a lot of the guys I grew up on say from 1986-2000 are still rockstars in comics, I'm looking for new ones to become a fan of. Sean Gordon murphy is one I discovered through this board, I really dig him.

So it sounds like you no longer read comics and want to know who is hot? I think the best way is to just read comics again (this coming from someone who stopped reading due to space and time)

I must be old, I didn't think McNiven and Cassaday were hot 10-15 years ago, I thought they were more recent.

A couple of other names that are established with distinct styles are Jim Cheung and Coipel. I like Nick Bradshaw too, but many people think he is just an Art Adams clone.

Malvin

So it sounds like you no longer read comics and want to know who is hot? I think the best way is to just read comics again (this coming from someone who stopped reading due to space and time)

I must be old, I didn't think McNiven and Cassaday were hot 10-15 years ago, I thought they were more recent.

A couple of other names that are established with distinct styles are Jim Cheung and Coipel. I like Nick Bradshaw too, but many people think he is just an Art Adams clone.

Malvin

Astonishing X-men started 10 years ago and john was already high profile from planetary and Captain America.

I still read comics but my tastes became cemented in stone about 10 years ago. I know what's hot mostly because it's the same people I grew up reading for the most part. I already dig that stuff, I'm looking for new blood to get into to jump start my excitement about comics art again.

Nick Bradshaw is very art adams, but it's cool looking. I like it.

Like hell I am joking MattBird. Keep an eye out for his cerebus related material he does you would do quite well as it is very undervalued. It might not be that common but for the quality and price you cant beat it. That guy has a sense of humor that he incorporates into his artwork that goes way over most people's heads which might explain why I must be joking. Do you have a problem with Cerebus?

Keep an eye out for Dave Sim. You cant match him when he is on top of his game

I assume you are joking. :makepoint:

He may or may not have been joking, but his statement was accurate. Dave Sim, on top of his game, was as good as it gets in comic writing, art, layout, creativity, the works. Not sure he's particularly representative of the 21st-century artist, though. :)

Like hell I am joking MattBird. Keep an eye out for his cerebus related material he does you would do quite well as it is very undervalued. It might not be that common but for the quality and price you cant beat it. That guy has a sense of humor that he incorporates into his artwork that goes way over most people's heads which might explain why I must be joking. Do you have a problem with Cerebus?

so you think Dave Sim qualifies as "an artist defining comics in 2013...who didn't really hit their prime until after 2004"? (as the original poster asked)

Since Cerebus ended it's 25+ year run, Dave Sim has hit his prime, and is helping define comics in 2013?

Or perhaps you never read the original post? :)

Keep an eye out for Dave Sim. You cant match him when he is on top of his game

I assume you are joking. :makepoint:

He may or may not have been joking, but his statement was accurate. Dave Sim, on top of his game, was as good as it gets in comic writing, art, layout, creativity, the works. Not sure he's particularly representative of the 21st-century artist, though. :)

yes, he was very influential 30 years ago, I grant you that. But that's not what we're talking about. :)

Jae Lee

Mike Mignola

Steve McNiven

John Cassaday

Bryan Hitch

Indy artists would be:

Geoff Darrow

Jeremy Bastian

Paul Pope

Thanks matt, Those guys were all rock n roll 10 -15 years ago. I love I'm looking for newer artists to check out. I miss the days of going to my LCS and finding 4 or 5 new artists I liked. I know a lot of the guys I grew up on say from 1986-2000 are still rockstars in comics, I'm looking for new ones to become a fan of. Sean Gordon murphy is one I discovered through this board, I really dig him.

In that case, check out Riley Rossmo, Nick Pitarra, and some of the other Image artists. May be more what you are looking for.

In my view, you shouldn't rely on other people to tell you what to buy. Buy what you like! :makepoint:

Come on dude, that's not what I'm doing. My a lot my favorite artists today were my favorites in 1992, I'm trying to get out of what people call nostalgia collecting and check on the new school talent not just for original art collecting but for comics as well.

Sounds like you just need to read more comics!

My 2c and also some of my personal favorites:

Mark Brooks

Paolo Rivera

Adi Granov

Stuart Immonen

Gabriele Dell'otto

Rafael Alburquerque

Some of these guys like Stuart were around for a while, but only exploded in popularity in more recent times

Also agree with Coipel and Cheung -- love their work

okay, now that's some good stuff fellas, a bunch of guys in there I never heard of, at least 4 I'm gonna pick up a stack of books from based on net images, hopefully a few of those I'll like enough to buy some art from.

Don't know how long Lenil yu has been around, but I just saw a cover to avengers 14 and it's insane.