• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resto: Proposed Definition

108 posts in this topic

I wish THIS were CGC's accepted definition of comic book restoration - whaddaya think?:

BLUE LABEL:

Given to any comic that has had no foreign substance added to it, or original material removed from it, ON PURPOSE FOR THE PURPOSE OF IMPROVING IT'S APPEARANCE

-- Stains, al la coffee ring: not added on purpose...gets Blue

-- Tape: added on purpose, gets Purple (see below)

-- Doodles...decreased grade, but Blue (not done to improve appearance)

-- Date stamp...possible decreased grade, but Blue (not added to improve appearance)

-- MVS/coupon missing...Blue, but downgraded & noted on label (not removed to improve appearance)

-- 1/2 page or less missing...Blue but downgraded and noted on label

-- More than 1/2 page missing...Incomplete designation

-- Pressed...Blue (no material added or removed)

PURPLE:

Given to any comic that has had a foreign substance added to it or original material removed from it in order to improve it's appearance:

-- Tape...Purple

-- Color touch...Purple

-- Glue...Purple

-- Trim: Material removed in order to improve appearance...Purple

QUALIFIED:

Lose this label: downgrade all "qualified" flaws under a Blue/Purple label, and note on label

Can't agree on tape. It repairs, but doesn't restore.

+1

I also wouldn't downgrade for date stamps, but I see your point. I just like date stamps, myself.

I'd do away with the different colored labels. There are some great books sitting in PLODs.

Blue label should exclude any Restoration or "Modification". Perhaps a Pink label should be introduced to include "Modification" if pressing and spine relocation is not considered Restoration.

I wish THIS were CGC's accepted definition of comic book restoration - whaddaya think?:

BLUE LABEL:

Given to any comic that has had no foreign substance added to it, or original material removed from it, ON PURPOSE FOR THE PURPOSE OF IMPROVING IT'S APPEARANCE

-- Stains, al la coffee ring: not added on purpose...gets Blue

-- Tape: added on purpose, gets Purple (see below)

-- Doodles...decreased grade, but Blue (not done to improve appearance)

-- Date stamp...possible decreased grade, but Blue (not added to improve appearance)

-- MVS/coupon missing...Blue, but downgraded & noted on label (not removed to improve appearance)

-- 1/2 page or less missing...Blue but downgraded and noted on label

-- More than 1/2 page missing...Incomplete designation

Completely Agree with you up to here

-- Pressed...Blue (no material added or removed)

I feel "detectable/registered known" pressing should be moved to Restoration OR

1. It is mentioned on the Blue label

2. A Completely different label is introduced called PLATINUM that is ONLY for comics that have NEVER had ANYTHING whatsoever "detectably" done to them in ANY way (Added/Removed/Processed) to enhance or improve their appeal, appearance, value, grade, quality, condition, durability or lifespan.

Sent this recommendation to Paul.

PURPLE:

Given to any comic that has had a foreign substance added to it or original material removed from it in order to improve it's appearance:

-- Tape...Purple

-- Color touch...Purple

-- Glue...Purple

-- Trim: Material removed in order to improve appearance...Purple

Agree 100% but need to add some

QUALIFIED:

Lose this label: downgrade all "qualified" flaws under a Blue/Purple label, and note on label

Agree 100%

tape really sucks. I hate finding it on comics I buy. I just hate seeing it. I don't care if it keeps the cover or pages together or hides tears preventing them from spreading. If it's in the case, what do I care that the covers are detached or the tears are visible since it'll never get touched anyway. But the unsightly appearance of tape and the chemical stains they produce over time are horrible.

How would u say tape differs from glue (to repair tear)?

Tape doesn't even attempt to return something to its original condition. Glue can be invisible at a cursory glance.

2. A Completely different label is introduced called PLATINUM that is ONLY for comics that have NEVER had ANYTHING whatsoever "detectably" done to them in ANY way

hm interesting...

That would essentially replace the blue label, so what's the purpose?

All one colour, use words to explain what is detected (meaning accurately detected with consistency).

It doesn't get simpler than that.

The definition of "restoration":

1. the act of restoring; renewal, revival, or reestablishment.

2. the state or fact of being restored.

3. a return of something to a former, original, normal, or unimpaired condition.

4. restitution of something taken away or lost.

5. something that is restored, as by renovating.

Tape is not restoration. You do not add tape to where tape was before, because it was never there.

Glue is not restoration. You do not add glue to where glue was before, because it was never there.

Color touch is restoration. You are adding color to where color was before, because it was originally there.

Replaced staples are restoration. You are adding staples to where staples were before, because they were originally there.

Etc. Pretty easy formula to determine what is or isn't, by definition, a restoration attribute.

I think the problem is that CGC refers to their PLOD as "restored" and everyone seems to want another label that should encompass things that fall under "repaired" like tape or glue - those are two completely different terms and should not fall under the same label category.

All one colour, use words to explain what is detected (meaning accurately detected with consistency).

+1

Multiple colors don't make sense. Resto has no clear definition, and tries to assign intent. Why not just list the defects and grade the book?

Yeah, I'm also in favor of all one color.

Okay, fine, colour.

Tape doesn't even attempt to return something to its original condition. Glue can be invisible at a cursory glance.

would you agree that putting tape on to a detatched cover to reattach it moves the book closer to its "original condition" vs the book with no cover?

I think the semantic gymnastics around "restoration" gets old. Just change the Purple label to "Restoration/Conservation" and then we can included tape and other things that some dont consider restoration, but most would agree should not be considered "universal" either

would you agree that putting tape on to a detatched cover to reattach it moves the book closer to its "original condition" vs the book with no cover?

I think the semantic gymnastics around "restoration" gets old. Just change the Purple label to "Restoration/Conservation" and then we can included tape and other things that some dont consider restoration, but most would agree should not be considered "universal" either

No, I wouldn't. Comic covers are attached with staples.

The definition of "restoration":

1. the act of restoring; renewal, revival, or reestablishment.

2. the state or fact of being restored.

3. a return of something to a former, original, normal, or unimpaired condition.

4. restitution of something taken away or lost.

5. something that is restored, as by renovating.

Tape is not restoration. You do not add tape to where tape was before, because it was never there.

Glue is not restoration. You do not add glue to where glue was before, because it was never there.

Color touch is restoration. You are adding color to where color was before, because it was originally there.

Replaced staples are restoration. You are adding staples to where staples were before, because they were originally there.

Etc. Pretty easy formula to determine what is or isn't, by definition, a restoration attribute.

I think the problem is that CGC refers to their PLOD as "restored" and everyone seems to want another label that should encompass things that fall under "repaired" like tape or glue - those are two completely different terms and should not fall under the same label category.

Balls, you are a scholar and a gentleman. Well posted.

Your last point that much of the problem is that those Purple labels only encompas "restored" is part of the problem.

So there are 4 states a comic can be in (and some can be combined)

1. Virgin. Nothing has ever been done to the book, either in restoration, conservation, or optimization.

2. Restored: Attempts to return the comic book materials to their original state by repairing something or returning something that was previously there.

3. Conserved: Adding something to a book that was not originally present in an effort to maintain the books current condition or improve it.

4. Optimized: Pressing and the like. Not adding materials (either new materials or replacing original material) but thru an act of manipulating the existing book material to improve the book's overall condition.

To me if the book has had #2 or #3 done, it should be grouped together since they are non Virgin (true universal).

#4 is tough because it is tougher to detect and requires some "soft" assessment to give a best guess if a book has been Optimized. Some would want to see Optimized books noted or segmented just like the Restored books.

Obviously a book can be both Restored and Conserved, and could even be Optimized (or any mix of #s 2,3 and 4) But any of those three mean the book is not #1 Virgin.

(and if it was just Options 1,2,3 and CGC didnt try to determine optimization I'd be fine with it since Im less concerned with non conservation, non-restoration acts)

No, I wouldn't. Comic covers are attached with staples.

So just so I'm clear. A book with no cover is closer to original condition than one that has a cover and it has been reattached with tape?

You just changed my mind on that one.

But if you are gluing a tear, you are restoring the paper to make it appear whole again, to look like it originally did.