• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I showed a co-worker the trailer yesterday. She knows nothing about comic books but she watches a lot of movies. She's 20.

1st she's like oh god. :eyeroll: I said just watch it.

She laughed when she realized it wasn't a serious movie. When she saw John C. Riley she said " that guy is funny " and it made her pay more attention because she saw someone familiar.

She watched the whole thing, said she would probably see it and then immediately googled Chris Pratt lol

So, I think it did it's job in getting her to at least pay attention.

Highlighted parts explain why Marvel/Disney makes ridiculous amounts of money. Because they "get it". :headbang:

I showed a co-worker the trailer yesterday. She knows nothing about comic books but she watches a lot of movies. She's 20.

1st she's like oh god. :eyeroll: I said just watch it.

She laughed when she realized it wasn't a serious movie. When she saw John C. Riley she said " that guy is funny " and it made her pay more attention because she saw someone familiar.

She watched the whole thing, said she would probably see it and then immediately googled Chris Pratt lol

So, I think it did it's job in getting her to at least pay attention.

Highlighted parts explain why Marvel/Disney makes ridiculous amounts of money. Because they "get it". :headbang:

Totally...

Any "investor" less excited after seeing the trailer is just not thinking.... when your characters are a raccoon and a tree?

hm Could there be a connection?

Super-heroes are popular because of audience projection - they see Spider-man swinging on his web, Superman flying, Batman jumping from roof to roof, Iron Man beating the out of a tank, and they identify with that primal urge to be bigger, stronger, faster - especially kids.

I see a talking raccoon and a walking tree, and I think that Disney just bought the LOTR franchise.

I see potential, and lots of it. A trigger happy raccoon jumping all over the place and firing bullets into oblivion is incredibly entertaining. Kids are going to eat this up! From the trailer, it looks like Groot and Rocket will be side-kicking quite a bit, and their chemistry together is probably going to be very fulfilling. So, I think there is a lot more there than just a talking raccoon and a walking tree. Ninja Turtles are the prime example of how you can take a relatively boring creatures and turn them into immortal icons of pop culture.

Spider-man, Superman, Batman, Iron man, etc, are amazing characters to watch in action, and we love those characters, but there is nothing necessarily new or refreshing about them. Not anymore anyways.

I think the antiheroes from GOTG just might offer us something new and refreshing, especially Groot and Rocket. I could be dead wrong, but this is coming from a guy who was never big into GOTG, and thought that the movie was going to be horrible before even watching the trailer.

http://www.hsx.com/security/view/GOTGX

"investors" weren't impressed. "stock" down 12% since the trailer release.

The Hollywood Stock Exchange, or HSX, is a web-based, multiplayer game in which players use simulated money to buy and sell "shares" of actors, directors, upcoming films, and film-related options. ...

NOT REAL MONEY...

I don't think there is any doubt that the movie will make box office, as Disney will pump a lot of money in advertising and promotion, guaranteeing a huge take just on the first week alone.

And since you brought up TMNT, GotG wil need to make more $$$ than all the TMNT movies combined, just to make a profit, so you'd be far better off comparing this to X-Men, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, etc.

The Hollywood Stock Exchange, or HSX, is a web-based, multiplayer game in which players use simulated money to buy and sell "shares" of actors, directors, upcoming films, and film-related options. ...

NOT REAL MONEY...

:roflmao:

:gossip: That's why he used quotations.

And your point is? (shrug)

People bet on these companies based on their ability to make bank, and if these participants dropped the "stock" right when the trailer debuted, then they did not view in a positive "money-making" fashion.

It's like a new release game demo, immediately dropping it out of the "Top 10 Most Anticipated Games" - that is not positive news, regardless if it's not "REAL MONEY".

I don't think there is any doubt that the movie will make box office, as Disney will pump a lot of money in advertising and promotion, guaranteeing a huge take just on the first week alone.

And since you brought up TMNT, GotG wil need to make more $$$ than all the TMNT movies combined, just to make a profit, so you'd be far better off comparing this to X-Men, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, etc.

In comparing GOTG to TMNT, I wasn't referring to the cultivated financial profit the turtle films have benefited from, nor am I suggesting that GOTG will share the same success as TMNT. In fact, I doubt that will happen. I'm implying that you can take something as simple as a talking raccoon and a walking tree and turn them into enormously popular icons. TMNT proved that a long time ago.

I don't think the non-comic-reading public is going to embrace this.

I disagree to some extent, however, I think the $800,000 worldwide ticket sales number someone threw out earlier is way too optimistic. Thor only did $450 million worldwide, and Thor 2 brought in $639 mil, which was an impressive increase for the franchise, but that had a lot to do with the popularity of the Avengers. With no immediate tie-ins to the Avengers, this movie would do well to hit $350-$400 million worldwide, but will probably do closer to the $263 million of the 2008 Hulk film. I don't like the fact that it opens so late into the summer, so I think that's another headwind it will have to face.

I think we are far enough along in the Marvel movie cycle for them to do something like this; use B and C level character (and actor) talent and get enough people to come watch it because it has something to do with Marvel/Avengers continuity. You can't bank on Avengers forever, especially when actors like Robert Downey are commanding tens of millions of dollars per film.

If the storyline line is palatable, the CGI looks slick enough (it does from the trailer), and the general audience is entertained, it should be a moderate win for Marvel.

It's presenting itself as a comedy, and there's not one laugh-out-loud moment in the trailer. There's no draw for the general public.

Thor had action for the male audience, and Hemsworth for their dates.

Again, we disagree. :foryou:

Keep in mind, we aren't talking about Shakespeare here, but just an entertaining summer, popcorn flick. All you need to do is build enough interest to get a good first weekend, and make enough people feel they got their money's worth for it to get good word of mouth. As long as the studio supports the movie with commercials and tv spots (and they will!), its going to do well enough riding on the back of the brand. I bet if you take 10 average movie goers that would normally watch a super hero/sci-fi flick and ask them if they would go see the movie based on the trailer alone, 6 would say yes. That's all Marvel is shooting for.

I'm still of the opinion that John Carter would've been a decent summer popcorn film if 1). it was actually released in the summer and 2). the studio didn't position themselves a year ahead of time for it to be a massive bust/write-off. How the studio promotes the film is as important as the film itself.

I agree with you about John Carter. The studio dropped the ball promoting that film the way that they did(or didn't).

But this trailer doesn't know who it's trying to appeal to. It certainly doesn't have the structure and pacing of an action film trailer. It just kind of lumbers along from one "humorous" scenario to the next, and the jokes fall flat. From a 2 hour film, the best they could offer us in the trailer is the middle finger joke and the headphone joke?

No eye candy for men or women, no epic tone(which Marvel trailers usually do very successfully), no great action scenes, and humor that falls flat. What's the draw for the general public?

Shirtless dudes, shirtless Gamora? (shrug)

People bet on these companies based on their ability to make bank, and if these participants dropped the "stock" right when the trailer debuted, then they did not view in a positive "money-making" fashion.

It's like a new release game demo, immediately dropping it out of the "Top 10 Most Anticipated Games" - that is not positive news, regardless if it's not "REAL MONEY".

Opinions vary. :whistle:

SuperHeroHype.com poll

How would you rate the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer?

10 out of 10 37.95% (1,931 votes)

9 out of 10 20.11% (1,023 votes)

8 out of 10 18.2% (926 votes)

7 out of 10 8.96% (456 votes)

6 out of 10 4.28% (218 votes)

5 out of 10 3.89% (198 votes)

4 out of 10 1.61% (82 votes)

3 out of 10 1.51% (77 votes)

0 out of 10 1.28% (65 votes)

1 out of 10 1.16% (59 votes)

2 out of 10 1.04% (53 votes)

CHA-CHING !!! :headbang::applause: (thumbs u

I'm actually surprised at how poorly Bendis' writing is on this book.

Bendis writing poorly on a team book is actually one of the least surprising thing I have ever heard.

;)

Now that I reflect on that, his All New X-Men started out great, but really stalled out - thankfully, it started to pick up a bit with the new Trial of Jean Grey. So, I hope he gets his mess together on that crossover.

I dislike his GOTG as much as I loved the DnA run. "Blam! I killed you." may be the worst catch phrase ever.

Why does everyone always misquote this? It's "Blam! Murdered you!".

Not that it's much better still.

NOT REAL MONEY...

:roflmao:

:gossip: That's why he used quotations.

:eek:oops didnt notice the quotes..

Opinions vary. :whistle:

SuperHeroHype.com poll

How would you rate the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer?

10 out of 10 37.95% (1,931 votes)

9 out of 10 20.11% (1,023 votes)

8 out of 10 18.2% (926 votes)

7 out of 10 8.96% (456 votes)

6 out of 10 4.28% (218 votes)

5 out of 10 3.89% (198 votes)

4 out of 10 1.61% (82 votes)

3 out of 10 1.51% (77 votes)

0 out of 10 1.28% (65 votes)

1 out of 10 1.16% (59 votes)

2 out of 10 1.04% (53 votes)

CHA-CHING !!! :headbang::applause: (thumbs u

Exactly.

Strangly Chris Pratt was up on the trailer. Despite my thinking he was a bit of a weak link in what we've seen so far.

Pratt on HSX