• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

based on int'l BO openings this weekend compared to other superhero movies this summer, GOTG looks like it will do $370-430mm int'l (w/ China being the wildcard since no release date is set there).

$600MM WW looks like a lock, $700MM WW possible.

If Friday's results represents the days and weeks ahead for Guardians at the box office...

Boxoffice.com Saturday Update: Guardians of the Galaxy

Interesting comparison of Guardians of the Galaxy's $37.8 MM Friday.

• Captain America: The First Avenger's $25.7 MM (47.1% better)
  • Thor: The Dark World's $31.9 MM (18.5% better)
  • Amazing Spider-Man 2's $35.2 MM (7.4% better)
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past's $35.5 MM (6.5% better)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier's $36.9 MM (2.4% better)
  • Godzilla's $38.4 MM (1.6% less)
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction's $41.9 MM (9.8% less)

So they are calling it the third best opening of the year, behind Transformers and Godzilla. I would think Guardians is an even bigger success, as you are dealing with a brand new franchise that had little to no background with cinema attendees.

Gunn is going to have his pick of the films he works on for Marvel.

:applause:(worship)

then easily a $600-$650 MM stride to the finish line worldwide. The only thing that would derail that story would be something else coming out soon. Which I don't think there is anything until later in the year (The Hobbit) that could even remotely accomplish that.

:applause:

Rentrak currently has the weekend estimate at $94,000,000. That does not include Thursday's 11,200,000. That makes a 4 day domestic haul of 105,200,000. Even estimating a 75% drop off for next weekend (which I think might be too high given the strong word of mouth and desire to rewatch) would put next week at about $24,000,000.

They are forecasting a $94 MM weekend. Though other sites are still shooting for $97-$100 MM.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Sets New August Record With $94 Million Debut

--------------------------

The latest numbers are in for James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy, and after taking an estimated $33 million on Saturday, the movie now looks set to earn around $94 million for the weekend. We also have the first wave of impressive international numbers.

--------------------------

Rentrak currently has the weekend estimate at $94,000,000. That does not include Thursday's 11,200,000. That makes a 4 day domestic haul of 105,200,000. Even estimating a 75% drop off for next weekend (which I think might be too high given the strong word of mouth and desire to rewatch) would put next week at about $24,000,000.

Was just typing that as you posted.

yes it does. there's no chance this drops off 75% next weekend. no chance.

I'm predicting disappointment for Marvel. I don't have much basis with which to make this prediction, I just think a flop is inevitable. Not every super hero movie is going to be a huge success. They're reaching with this flick.

nailed it

GOTG is a modern day Star Wars

Quill = Luke

Gamora - Leia

Rocket = Han Solo

Groot = Chewbacca

Drax = R2D2

Thanos = The Emperor

Yando = Obi Wan

Any others? Disagree?

I can see the comparisons between Rocket = Han and Groot = Chewy, but I think the discussion ends there.

Quill has a Harrison Ford sort of feel and he is so much more funny than Luke ever was.

Thanos def has the feel that the Emperor did, but he's gonna steal the show at some point which the Emperor never did.