• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I would have thought there would have been more interest in the comic relaunch of GotG. Seems to be a bit of a dud.

It's a shame that they didn't get Abnett and Lanning back for the relaunch.

I would have thought there would have been more interest in the comic relaunch of GotG. Seems to be a bit of a dud.

Its sales numbers seem pretty healthy and consistent month to month. It's a shame Abnett and Lanning won't work together anymore.

It's sales numbers seem pretty healthy and consistent month to month. It's a shame Abnett and Lanning won't work together anymore.

+1

Legion Lost :headbang:

Quill is more Solo than Luke to me.

Yep. We were talking about this last night on the way home from watching it. The 5 of us had it as Quill/Solo

Rocket/C-3PO (as translator)

Groot/R2-D2

Ronan/Vader

Thanos/The Emporor

Drax and Gamora ?

Leia and Chewy.

Leia is tough, capable, and will do what it takes to accomplish her agenda. Chewy is muscle. I see Groot more in that role, though.

Quill is more Solo than Luke to me.

Yep. We were talking about this last night on the way home from watching it. The 5 of us had it as Quill/Solo

Rocket/C-3PO (as translator)

Groot/R2-D2

Ronan/Vader

Thanos/The Emporor

Drax and Gamora ?

Leia and Chewy.

Leia is tough, capable, and will do what it takes to accomplish her agenda. Chewy is muscle. I see Groot more in that role, though.

I can see it. I know what you're saying about Groot too. The reason I compared him to Artoo was the weird ability to communicate and his creativity in the tight jams they faced. I could definitely see him as Chewie too. (thumbs u

My 70 year old mom just called me and said all the talk on Facebook is this Guardians movie with the Racoon and everyone loves it and she can't wait to see it. Did not see this happen with the Avengers. Just incredible what this movie has done. This movie has appealed to every age and sex and types of people. mass appeal. This might be one of the biggest shots in the arm for comic books ever. I got people who come into my store where I work who know I am into this stuff asking me where they can get that raccoons stories. amazing.this movie is like a phenonenom. Again Amazing.

My 70 year old mom just called me and said all the talk on Facebook is this Guardians movie with the Racoon and everyone loves it and she can't wait to see it. Did not see this happen with the Avengers. Just incredible what this movie has done. This movie has appealed to every age and sex and types of people. mass appeal. This might be one of the biggest shots in the arm for comic books ever. I got people who come into my store where I work who know I am into this stuff asking me where they can get that raccoons stories. amazing.this movie is like a phenonenom. Again Amazing.

My mom is going next weekend and already posting on Facebook how excited she is. I literally can't tell you the last thing she might have seen in a theater. (Perhaps John Carter of Mars when we all went, not sure... But she's not a movie-goer at all when we're not there.) Movie really did reach out to literally everyone.

Watched it this morning at a 10:00AM showing with my wife and eight year old girl child. In short, they loved it. My wife loved Drax, my Daughter loved Groot. Rocket Raccoon was my favorite as he has been since 1985.

It seems everyone loves this movie except those with sticks up their butts (with apologies to Drax for using a metaphor).

Marvel has done something special here and I hope it emboldens Warner Bros to get off their *spoon* and stop doing the same boring drivel with their licenses.

I just got back home with the wife after a 3:00 PM show that was packed to the gills -- even the seats at the very front of the theater that no one is usually sitting in were filled. The audience had a lot of families, and there were a lot of children in the audience as well, children who as best as I could tell, enjoyed the movie as much as I did. :whee:

All in all, Guardians was fantastic and lived up to all of the praise that's been heaped upon it thus far. I seem to remember someone, somewhere in this thread saying that the movie was, above everything else, FUN -- a concept that comic books (and to an extent, their movie counterparts) have sometimes too easily forgotten in recent years (FWIW, as much as I loved a movie like The Dark Knight, not everything needs to be grim and gritty 24/7). There were a ton of moments in this movie that I laughed or sat back in my seat like a little kid again and just marveled (no pun intended) at what was on the screen. That said, the light-hearted, fun tone that ran throughout the movie didn't keep there from being some pretty serious, and even somber moments throughout. While the movie is often funny, it still takes itself and the subject matter seriously.

I loved the nods to other Marvel lore throughout, I thought the cast did a great job across the board, and it's a movie I'd definitely be happy to see again. IMO, my money was well-spent, and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel and where they take their space-based story.

:applause: this pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly when it comes to this movie and marvel studios.

At this stage, I've simply run out of superlatives for the practiced precision with which they bring each of their opuses to the screen. That "flipping pages" logo up-top has become an immediate signifier of quality, and for this, their tenth release, they've channeled all the goodwill built up over six years of Iron Mans and Thors and Captain Americas into an original property with a potentially unwieldy premise and a potentially laughable title, and turned it into the most confident bit of sci-fi world-building I've seen since the original Star Wars.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5645088

Is that him on the bottom right?

adam_zps5e7ab638.png

...and that's Howard at top center.

:o

:ohnoez:

I don't see 'him'

It looks like someone sitting down with their head on their knees and their arms wrapped around their legs in thought. Or desperation.

Yet again, I could be wrong. I have been drinking Sambuca.

:whee:

Is that him on the bottom right?

adam_zps5e7ab638.png

...and that's Howard at top center.

:o

:ohnoez:

I don't see 'him'

It looks like someone sitting down with their head on their knees and their arms wrapped around their legs in thought. Or desperation.

Yet again, I could be wrong. I have been drinking Sambuca.

:whee:

All I can see in that photo is Del Toro's big hair

:applause: this pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly when it comes to this movie and marvel studios.

At this stage, I've simply run out of superlatives for the practiced precision with which they bring each of their opuses to the screen. That "flipping pages" logo up-top has become an immediate signifier of quality, and for this, their tenth release, they've channeled all the goodwill built up over six years of Iron Mans and Thors and Captain Americas into an original property with a potentially unwieldy premise and a potentially laughable title, and turned it into the most confident bit of sci-fi world-building I've seen since the original Star Wars.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5645088

I've said it already, but leaving the theater yesterday I was thinking how GOTG may very well be the Star Wars of my sons' generation.

I chuckled at Cosmo.

+1

I was actually really happy to see that cameo.

I think people are coming away from this movie having fun with all the different non-superhero-ey characters that Marvel can have expand upon.

Thor and Cap and Iron Man are great film characters, but the cosmic stuff that has been introduced is filling a gap in the sci-fi world that has been sorely lacking for many years.

It's been a struggle to get new characters that sci-fi geeks will like on screen that they can build on. Most of them are repackaged or reimagined characters (Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens, Predator, etc), and there are few newer ones like Riddick that get any traction. GotG introduced a whole slew of characters in one film that people can really like - and for a scifi geek like myself, that's the best part of this movie doing so well.