• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

So here's my question why did Thanos need a wormhole to attack earth in The Avengers? He appears to be in a location that is easily reached from our galaxy.

The wormhole was for the army.

Bosco- you still haven't seen the movie?

Not yet. I didn't want to go with 7 year olds if there was going to be any cursing or death. So I have to hold off for now.

Not to descend too far into old fogeyism, but I'm still surprised at how few people share this sentiment. There have been a number of people in this thread saying they brought their single-digit aged kids or relations to this movie despite the d*ck jokes, impalements, and so on.

I loved the movie, but there is no way my kids -- the youngest is now 19 -- would have seen it before they were 12 or 13.

No movie aimed at a family audience would have had this type of material a few years ago. We have crossed a threshold and it surprises me that so few people -- including movie critics -- seem to consider it worth commenting on.

I know people say it's up to parents to make a decision about whether a particular movie is suitable for their kids. But parents could use a little help in two ways:

1. You could find out the details of what's in the movie before taking your kids to see it, but the rating system was supposed to take care of that. It doesn't, though, because the amount of coarse language, off-color jokes, and violence allowed in each rating is gradually increasing over time. Anyone remember when Disney was upset when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie received a PG-13 rating rather than a PG rating? Clearly the ratings -- and Disney's concerns about producing family-appropriate films -- have changed mightily since then.

2. If you can't take kids to a movie like this, what can you take them to? The only choice at our local theater would be that awful Planes movie. As a practical matter, if Disney and the other studios are going to include this type of material in movies that are clearly aimed (in part) at family audiences, little kids will be exposed to it. There were a lot of small children in the theater when I saw it Saturday afternoon.

Just a rant. Carry on!

Part of me agrees with you, and another part really disagree with you. An example:

How old were you when you saw Empire? That film is PG and I might argue it is more graphic then Guardians ever was. The reason I say that: we see a bloody arm cut off right at the beginning then an arm cut off again at the end. It isn't as graphic. We also see a body decapitated although who the heck knows was Luke cut off in that cave…

Jaws, where you see parts of bodies dismembered, was only a PG movie. I remember that movie terrifying me as a child.

Jurassic Park was also fairly violent and we see blood and parts of people's bodies bitten off. It was PG 13.

My point, I think the violence in Guardians was pretty tame. A few parts really surprised me how they pushed it, but there wasn't bloody body parts being dismembered or removed.

The biggest issue, it might be the language that pushes it. I was surprised with some of it, and, as usual, it was sort of unnecessary.

I think todays viewing audience has gotten so overly sensitive to things in films. I have the discussion with my sister all the time. She gives me a hard time about what my son watches. He watches a lot of films and largely because of my 9 year old. It is hard on family movie night not to pick a film that appeals to everyone.

And there in lies my big issue. as kids, we used to go to the beach with my dad. He would rent some very inappropriate films for us to watch. It was probably because of how difficult it was to find films for kids that were 4 to 5 years apart.

The big difference though, we watched them as a family. Kids become desensitized to violence when they sit alone in a house watching endlessly violent films and playing endlessly violent video games.

Sorry rantrant and my 2c

Count me in as an old fogey then.

I would have loved to taken my daughter to see this movie, but I simply do not take my 7 year old daughter to movies with language like this. Seriously, would taking 6 or 7 words out of the movie really alter the entertainment value?

But at least there are resources out there that let me know what type of language is in a movie, so I can make the choice as to whether I feel comfortable with it or not. I know there are others out there with the same concerns, or these websites would not be viable.

I saw it on Sunday, my daughters and wife didn't want to go with me. I am going to see it with my brother from another mother while we are in Chicago for WW. I liked it, but I would have liked someone else to play Thanos. Someone with an iconic voice along the lines of James Earl Jones.... :)

well, maybe Christian Bale could use his bat voice.

We saw it Sunday as a family.

Monday my wife and kids talked about it all morning. My 15 year old daughter said "great songs" cannot wait for the sound track to come out. It had a huge impact on them...enough that they started reading the Thanos Quest. Cool stuff from Marvel.

I was driving home yesterday and at the light someone was playing 'Come and Get Your Love.' Now wondering if that is more than just a coincidence. I remember when I was a kid, we 'discovered' Bohemian Rhapsody after Wayne's World.

Redbone!

Bosco- you still haven't seen the movie?

Not yet. I didn't want to go with 7 year olds if there was going to be any cursing or death. So I have to hold off for now.

Not to descend too far into old fogeyism, but I'm still surprised at how few people share this sentiment. There have been a number of people in this thread saying they brought their single-digit aged kids or relations to this movie despite the d*ck jokes, impalements, and so on.

I loved the movie, but there is no way my kids -- the youngest is now 19 -- would have seen it before they were 12 or 13.

No movie aimed at a family audience would have had this type of material a few years ago. We have crossed a threshold and it surprises me that so few people -- including movie critics -- seem to consider it worth commenting on.

I know people say it's up to parents to make a decision about whether a particular movie is suitable for their kids. But parents could use a little help in two ways:

1. You could find out the details of what's in the movie before taking your kids to see it, but the rating system was supposed to take care of that. It doesn't, though, because the amount of coarse language, off-color jokes, and violence allowed in each rating is gradually increasing over time. Anyone remember when Disney was upset when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie received a PG-13 rating rather than a PG rating? Clearly the ratings -- and Disney's concerns about producing family-appropriate films -- have changed mightily since then.

2. If you can't take kids to a movie like this, what can you take them to? The only choice at our local theater would be that awful Planes movie. As a practical matter, if Disney and the other studios are going to include this type of material in movies that are clearly aimed (in part) at family audiences, little kids will be exposed to it. There were a lot of small children in the theater when I saw it Saturday afternoon.

Just a rant. Carry on!

Part of me agrees with you, and another part really disagree with you. An example:

How old were you when you saw Empire? That film is PG and I might argue it is more graphic then Guardians ever was. The reason I say that: we see a bloody arm cut off right at the beginning then an arm cut off again at the end. It isn't as graphic. We also see a body decapitated although who the heck knows was Luke cut off in that cave…

Jaws, where you see parts of bodies dismembered, was only a PG movie. I remember that movie terrifying me as a child.

Jurassic Park was also fairly violent and we see blood and parts of people's bodies bitten off. It was PG 13.

My point, I think the violence in Guardians was pretty tame. A few parts really surprised me how they pushed it, but there wasn't bloody body parts being dismembered or removed.

The biggest issue, it might be the language that pushes it. I was surprised with some of it, and, as usual, it was sort of unnecessary.

I think todays viewing audience has gotten so overly sensitive to things in films. I have the discussion with my sister all the time. She gives me a hard time about what my son watches. He watches a lot of films and largely because of my 9 year old. It is hard on family movie night not to pick a film that appeals to everyone.

And there in lies my big issue. as kids, we used to go to the beach with my dad. He would rent some very inappropriate films for us to watch. It was probably because of how difficult it was to find films for kids that were 4 to 5 years apart.

The big difference though, we watched them as a family. Kids become desensitized to violence when they sit alone in a house watching endlessly violent films and playing endlessly violent video games.

Sorry rantrant and my 2c

Count me in as an old fogey then.

I would have loved to taken my daughter to see this movie, but I simply do not take my 7 year old daughter to movies with language like this. Seriously, would taking 6 or 7 words out of the movie really alter the entertainment value?

But at least there are resources out there that let me know what type of language is in a movie, so I can make the choice as to whether I feel comfortable with it or not. I know there are others out there with the same concerns, or these websites would not be viable.

So the violence doesn't bother you? I was talking more about the violence.

I'd agree on the language though and I was a little surprised about it at times. They could have cut it and the film would have been just as entertaining.

I knew worse language at a young age from what we spoke about at school.

I was a public school kid up until 8th grade then I went to a private school for HS. I still lol at my parents for believing that the local HS had too much of a drug problem at the time while at the private school I attended, higher end drugs ran rampant and were far more accessible.

I believe it comes down to discussion and talking about it from parents and where the line is. Growing up, my brother and I engaged in all out brawls, there was mayhem beyond your comprehension. We flooded the house with a water fight where the hose was wrapped around and brought into the house and used against each other.

However, for some reason, my brother and I knew that my parents were serious, that if we were to use drugs that they would drive us themselves to the police station. We knew for some reason that was the line not to cross.

Kids are going to learn about foul language and violence despite anyone's intentions, and I agree that there is no need to expedite the learning process in this area, but if you are concerned with the language that is used then talk to your kids about it, rather than pretend it doesn't exist. I agree with Dale that a 7 year old may not have the mental maturity to understand, but an 11 year old probably does when it comes to words that should not be used.

I had a busy weekend & haven't kept up with either this thread or the news reports on GotG since Wednesday of last week. I still have no idea of the box office.

I did receive some positive word of mouth reviews.

I am going to try to see it tonight. I'll check back in on this thread after the movie.

I had a busy weekend & haven't kept up with either this thread or the news reports on GotG since Wednesday of last week. I still have no idea of the box office.

I did receive some positive word of mouth reviews.

I am going to try to see it tonight. I'll check back in on this thread after the movie.

:popcorn:

In the theater now for a 7 pm start.

I close my eyes and I can smell the popcorn and feel my feet stick to the floor as I walk around.

:popcorn::cloud9:

Watched it today and enjoyed it very much.

The humour wasn't as overbearing and lame as some recent Marvel movies starting with Avengers.

Hope Marvel continues with this trend.

xoxo

greggy

Watched it today and enjoyed it very much.

The humour wasn't as overbearing and lame as some recent Marvel movies starting with Avengers.

Hope Marvel continues with this trend.

xoxo

greggy

Fame it!

A real sweet post from the human troll.

Enjoy your birthday. :foryou:

Moar proof Starlord Bosco rocks!!

Deja vu - I've seen you. And no less than one page, too.

:whee:

lol this thread its a monster, its difficult to catch up!

:baiting:

What a feeling the Guardians of the Galaxy movie gave me. I can`t praise it enough.

Just wow!

:cloud9:

Saw it again today with my girlfriend.

Still don't see how anyone says they saw Beta Ray Bill or Warlock in that one tank. That was a guy wearing a red jumpsuit. You can clearly see him wearing red pants that match his shirt (that people are saying is a cape).