• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I just got back from watching it.

I really, really enjoyed it. Yes, I loved all the cast but MOST surprising was Bautista as Drax. Great range and comedic timing.

I'm not sure if I will get a chance to get to the theatre again to see it but definite blu-ray buy for MULTIPLE viewings.

Love to talk more, but you know, don't want to spoil anything for the other "straglers".

All I will say, if you have not seen it, go see it.

Should I see GOTG for the 4th time or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for the 1st time?

I loved Guardians but you should definitely see Dawn before it leaves theaters. It is one of the most compelling blockbusters I've seen in some time. It has a lot to say while being entertaining and visually stunning.

Watched Dawn. It was great! Very emotional. Amazing what special effects can do. Almost don't need humans to act anymore. Will watch GOTG again another time.

Definitely wasn't going to see expendables 3.

(thumbs u Glad you enjoyed it!

GOTG has long term staying power..... The numbers haven't scratched the surface yet. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The latest predictions now put GOTG at $280 million domestically, which would get it to 6th place last year, just ahead of Gravity. It is very strange that no movie so far this year has topped $300 million. It's a good bet that the Hobbit and Hunger Games sequels will, but I don't know what other movie can.

Lots of kids going back to school this week and next week. M-F revenues are going to drop off quite a bit for all movies.

The latest predictions now put GOTG at $280 million domestically, which would get it to 6th place last year, just ahead of Gravity. It is very strange that no movie so far this year has topped $300 million. It's a good bet that the Hobbit and Hunger Games sequels will, but I don't know what other movie can.

Lots of kids going back to school this week and next week. M-F revenues are going to drop off quite a bit for all movies.

The Hunger Games - $408,010,692 domestic

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - $424,668,047 domestic

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - $303,003,568 domestic

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - $258,366,855 domestic

My bet - The Hunger Games.

Whoa!

Zuk1VhP.png

FVcFa3a.png

Already at the 2.5X magic number. Though to cover all domestic and international revenue shares, it needs to hit 3X (which will not be a problem).

:applause:

Why are the numbers for IM3 adjusted down for 2014?

Why are the numbers for IM3 adjusted down for 2014?

It's Box Office Mojo's data errors that appear every once in a while when it comes to inflation adjustments. Like right now I checked what they show IM3 actual versus adjusted should be.

ACTUAL: 409,013,994

INFLATION ADJUSTED: $397,788,100

It's only on those numbers I will see errors, most probably because someone inserts a number and plans to go back and fix it. With a 1.47% inflation between 2013 and 2014, the adjusted would be $415,026,500.

Thanks for catching this. Now I can fix it with the right number.

:foryou:

GOTG over took Turtles Monday with $2,884,902 versus $2,801,620 Box Office. With no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes for Sin City I think GOTG has a chance to go back on top this coming weekend.

Sin City opening weekend estimated at $25MM; of course, Expendables 3 opening weekend was predicted high $20MM's and that didn't happen. GOTG more likely to do $16-18mm.

GOTG over took Turtles Monday with $2,884,902 versus $2,801,620 Box Office. With no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes for Sin City I think GOTG has a chance to go back on top this coming weekend.

Sin City opening weekend estimated at $25MM; of course, Expendables 3 opening weekend was predicted high $20MM's and that didn't happen. GOTG more likely to do $16-18mm.

I want Sin City 2 to be good, but I think it will go the way of the second 300 movie. The box office might be neck and neck and one wins by a nose at the wire.

This movie deserves the top spot for so many reasons.

But it sounds like the author is measuring success by domestic box office only. Right now, worldwide Transformers was the big winner. Superhero-wise, X-Men: DoFP is at the top. But if the Asian market takes off like it should, Guardians should do very well for itself.

This movie deserves the top spot for so many reasons.

But it sounds like the author is measuring success by domestic box office only. Right now, worldwide Transformers was the big winner. Superhero-wise, X-Men: DoFP is at the top. But if the Asian market takes off like it should, Guardians should do very well for itself.

don't look now but TMNT jumped ahead on Tues by $2k :D

lol

You're bad. But I did see that when I went to Mojo to check out the numbers.

Once China gets a chance to view Guardians, I wonder how it will bump the numbers?

star lords father is gonna be thanos, which will make him and gamora brother and sister, which would make for a weird twist........either his real or adopted son. who knows. but it would not be ant man or a duck. I am leaning toward thanos but maybe it could be the collector??

Didn't one of the Nova Corps mockingly refer to Star Lord as "Prince Star Lord"?

Isn't Starfox a Prince of Titan?

Star Lord's mother sure acted like someone Star Fox may have seduced.

Not as exciting as Warlock or (Uncle?) Thanos, but it just crossed my mind while scanning books last night.

J. Jonah Jameson is Star Lords father.

lol

You're bad. But I did see that when I went to Mojo to check out the numbers.

Once China gets a chance to view Guardians, I wonder how it will bump the numbers?

$100MM unless the October release date means that all of China will have already seen a pirated copy of the movie

On the other hand, TMNT had a smaller production budget and I suspect a massively smaller marketing budget. From a percentage of profit standpoint, I bet TMNT will do better.

However, GOTG's positive reviews will probably pay off for GOTG2, while TMNT's franchise has certainly not been improved by the word-of-mouth coming out of this one.

Yeah but GOTG will crush TMNT in total box office. TMNT through it's first 2 weeks is at $117m. GOTG was at $176m at the same point (all domestic only). Difference being GOTG had to go up against a strong opening in TMNT during it's second week; while TMNT went up against a dud in Expendables 3 during it's second week.

On the other hand, TMNT had a smaller production budget and I suspect a massively smaller marketing budget. From a percentage of profit standpoint, I bet TMNT will do better.

However, GOTG's positive reviews will probably pay off for GOTG2, while TMNT's franchise has certainly not been improved by the word-of-mouth coming out of this one.

Yeah but GOTG will crush TMNT in total box office. TMNT through it's first 2 weeks is at $117m. GOTG was at $176m at the same point (all domestic only). Difference being GOTG had to go up against a strong opening in TMNT during it's second week; while TMNT went up against a dud in Expendables 3 during it's second week.

Maybe/Maybe Not.

TNMT had a budget of 125 million and grossed 126 million through its first 13 days.

GotG had a budget of 170 million and grossed 193 million through its first 13 days.

Unless the marketing budgets were vastly greater for GotG I'm guessing it ends up the more profitable movie.