• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

there's an outside chance this gets to $300MM domestic. no one saw that coming.

Going to be really tough with Labor Day weekend coming and the kids going back to school. There's not a whole lot of big name movies until much later in the year which will help, but it's also got to maintain some momentum. What no one saw coming was this would be the top film behind Hunger Games domestically for the year. At the beginning of the year you could pretty much Sharpie in Hunger Games at #1, so the second spot is not small feat.

BOX OFFICE MOJO: 'Guardians' Becomes Biggest Movie of the Summer

---------------------

After trailing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the past two weeks, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy moved back in to first place this weekend.

In the process, Guardians of the Galaxy passed Transformers: Age of Extinction to become the highest-grossing movie of the Summer at the domestic box office.

Among the newcomers, If I Stay had a solid debut, while Sin City: A Dame to Kill For imploded.

The Top 12 earned an estimated $105.4 million this weekend. That's up 17 percent from the same frame last year.

Guardians of the Galaxy eased 30 percent to $17.6 million. It has now earned over $251 million, and by Friday it will pass fellow Marvel movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($259.8 million) to become the top grosser of the year. It also now seems likely that Guardians will end its run with over $300 million.

---------------------

WOW!

:applause:

BOX OFFICE MOJO: 'Guardians' Becomes Biggest Movie of the Summer

---------------------

After trailing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the past two weeks, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy moved back in to first place this weekend.

In the process, Guardians of the Galaxy passed Transformers: Age of Extinction to become the highest-grossing movie of the Summer at the domestic box office.

Among the newcomers, If I Stay had a solid debut, while Sin City: A Dame to Kill For imploded.

The Top 12 earned an estimated $105.4 million this weekend. That's up 17 percent from the same frame last year.

Guardians of the Galaxy eased 30 percent to $17.6 million. It has now earned over $251 million, and by Friday it will pass fellow Marvel movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($259.8 million) to become the top grosser of the year. It also now seems likely that Guardians will end its run with over $300 million.

---------------------

WOW!

:applause:

i could write this column

OOPS. Got 'The November Man' release date wrong. Not that this movie will have a huge impact on 'Guardians'.

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

August 29, 2014: The November Man

September 19, 2014: The Maze Runner (based on a Sci-Fi book trilogy)

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

September 26, 2014: The Equalizer

October 3, 2014: Gone Girl

October 10, 2014: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

October 10, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Fury (Brad Pitt WW II tank warfare film)

October 17, 2014: Kingsman: The Secret Service moved to 2015

November 7, 2014: Interstellar

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 14, 2014: Dumb and Dumber To

November 21, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 19, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

December 19, 2014: Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

December 19, 2014: Annie (2014)

GOTG is #1 again this weekend. Pretty awesome!

will be #1 next weekend as well

After watching GOTG you know what I wanted to see again?

John Carter.

How weird is that? It's like some 'earthman-among-alien-races' movie subgenre I really like, and there ain't enough of them. Or the soda and popcorn was spiked, haven't decided.

Dammit. :ohnoez: Now I'm trying to fill the earthman-among-aliens movie sub-genre. But I can count 'em all on one hand...

1. GOTG

2. The Fifth Element

3. John Carter

4. Heavy Metal (1st one, but only parts)

I'll give 'Planet Hulk' an honorable mention, him being an earthman. But he never reverts to Banner, so yeah, not the same.

A century of cinema, there's got to be more, right? (shrug) Then again, CG has only gotten good enough recently to do them any justice. So maybe "That's All, Folks"? :(

Dammit. :ohnoez: Now I'm trying to fill the earthman-among-aliens movie sub-genre. But I can count 'em all on one hand...

1. GOTG

2. The Fifth Element

3. John Carter

4. Heavy Metal (1st one, but only parts)

I'll give 'Planet Hulk' an honorable mention, him being an earthman. But he never reverts to Banner, so yeah, not the same.

A century of cinema, there's got to be more, right? (shrug) Then again, CG has only gotten good enough recently to do them any justice. So maybe "That's All, Folks"? :(

Little bit of a stretch but Planet of the Apes is almost there