• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I just cringe when I saw the trailers in the theatre this weekend. Looks like it was made to appeal to mostly 9 year old's. Not sure I'm going to bother watching it until it hits pay per view at home.

So was the original Star Wars. (shrug)

Although I was actually 12...

Well Star Wars wasn't as campy as this movie appears to be.

Those droids are camp as custard.

I'm trying to picture Vader singing to "hooked on a feeling". :tonofbricks: That song just killed it for me.

Han Solo's dialog alone makes Star Wars as campy as possible. There is nothing wrong with having movie's that are family oriented. If anything, Guardians is going to be a lot more vulgar then it should be/needs to be, because of how much our culture has shifted.

As for campy-ness, its par for the course with the genre and target audience this movie is aiming for/at. I am sure future sequels will start to get darker, once the characters are established and secure.

First Impressions: Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

There's no spoilers so don't worry. I enjoyed the film very much. It was very funny, film brought me to tears laughing. I think Chris Pratt might be the new RDJ of the MCU. He owned it was Peter Quil and he has a solid backstory and depth to his character despite all the humour.

:whee::whee::whee:

:whee:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:applause: I've been thinking this movie will do pretty well. The more I hear about it, the more I believe it to be true. I'm sure some won't like it, but that's par for the course.

Lookin' forward to it.

First Impressions: Marvel's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

There's no spoilers so don't worry. I enjoyed the film very much. It was very funny, film brought me to tears laughing. I think Chris Pratt might be the new RDJ of the MCU. He owned it was Peter Quil and he has a solid backstory and depth to his character despite all the humour.

:whee::whee::whee:

:whee:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:applause: I've been thinking this movie will do pretty well. The more I hear about it, the more I believe it to be true. I'm sure some won't like it, but that's par for the course.

Lookin' forward to it.

And it won't matter what the general riff raff on these boards think; GOTGs success or failure will be tied to what the general public thinks. I suspect this movie will do well.

I'm looking forward to it too.

I think the general public is going to have fun at this movie - and I'm really interested to see the reaction to a group of characters that virtually no one outside of comics has ever heard of. GotG is marketing heavily on each of the characters, which I think is going to make a big difference when the film hits theaters.

Heard a rumor that one of the reasons that Marvel wasn't willing to accept Edgar Wright's vision for Ant-Man is because they're very worried about GOTG. They brought in writers to "Marvelize" Wright's -script, and he hated the changes.

I wonder what they mean by 'Marvelize'... :eek:

Put it in a pan, coat it in butter and brown sugar then cook over high heat?

I think the general public is going to have fun at this movie - and I'm really interested to see the reaction to a group of characters that virtually no one outside of comics has ever heard of. GotG is marketing heavily on each of the characters, which I think is going to make a big difference when the film hits theaters.

I think I'm hoping for Fifth Element style humor, or maybe even Firefly. :wishluck:

From my 'general public' perch the previews don't feel Marvel Universe, they feel Heavy Metal magazine (which could be wishful thinking).

Yep, I'm thinking there will be some great humor in there - which I think is perfect for GotG, when considering the context of the source material.

I love comic movies, but I think I love space/scifi even more - and this combines both, so I'm trying really hard not to pre-qualify myself to jumping on the fanboy wagon before I see it.

Heck, they are characters that virtually no one inside of comics has heard of either. :D

This has box office bust written all over it. Characters no one has heard of, no big stars, and a director that has never made a successful movie.

I'm not saying it can't succeed, but I think that failure is the more likely outcome.

This has been my feeling too. I doubt it will tank, and hope it does well (though I wouldn't mind if TTA #13 prices came back to reality) but I am expecting it to underperform relative to other Marvel films.

Heck, they are characters that virtually no one inside of comics has heard of either. :D

This has box office bust written all over it. Characters no one has heard of, no big stars, and a director that has never made a successful movie.

I'm not saying it can't succeed, but I think that failure is the more likely outcome.

Characters no one has heard of, no big stars, and a director that has never made a successful movie.

Above all else, this is what makes this an attractive movie.

PS Bradley Cooper is the biggest male lead in the world right now but you're close enough with the rest.

PSS The best thing about Game of Thrones is its gift to the world of countless new tv/movie stars. Don't you hate seeing the same dumb actors over & over again? Think Affleck.

Thank You Johnny Raincloud

Also Glenn Close, Vin Deisel, Bradley Cooper have some notoriety.

Characters no one has heard of, no big stars, and a director that has never made a successful movie.

PS Bradley Cooper is the biggest male lead in the world right now but you're close enough with the rest.

PSS The best thing about Game of Thrones is its gift to the world of countless new tv/movie stars. Don't you hate seeing the same dumb actors over & over again? Think Affleck.

A band of misfits, thrust by circumstances into the heroes' role? This is basically "Goonies in Space." It can't fail.

I question the box office draw of Bradley Cooper's voice. :D

Game of Thrones has incredible source material, and did not depend on 10 million people going to see it on opening weekend.

This has comics that are almost unreadable for source material.

I like a lot of the actors that are in this. I just don't think anyone is going to go the movies specifically to see them.

Look at James Gunn's wiki and tell me that this is a guy you expect to make a major blockbuster movie--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gunn_(filmmaker)