• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Sid's Luncheonette Collection X-Men # 1...9.0 - SOLD

29 posts in this topic

Despite some interest and one very interesting offer, nothing has concluded, so I'll reduce the price to what I was hoping for and see what shakes out - $27,000 - which basically is the GPA average price over the past 2 years when you throw out the high and low outliers. It's also is just a tad over the last sale price.

That's it and then it goes back into hiding for a few years...

One of a handful of the Sid's Luncheonette Collection that I bought at a different store. It was the summer of 1963 and I was working as a helper on a Rug/Carpet delivery truck for B. Shehadi & Son out of East Oange NJ.

We stopped for lunch at a Candy/Newspaper store on Main Street in Chatham, NJ, and I picked up this Key book that afternoon. (Interesting to note that although released the same day I never found an Avengers # 1 and finally purchased one about 45 years later at the NYComicCon).

This book has withstood being read in that truck while lunch was being consumed, and then being stored (and occasionally reread) naked and upright in a wooden dresser for approx 14/15 years, and then being stored in a Polybag for another 5 years before Mylar and acid free backing boards were purchased.

So here it is today having successfully withstood the test of time;

$30,000...

Usual Rules will apply, 1st :takeit: gets it, unless a deal has been entered into via PM. Time stamps would determine who gets it.

I will entertain offers (and expect some to be entertaining)... :grin:

I'll also work on sharpening up the images on my new scanner - they seem slightly out of focus and I'm not sure increasing the DPI to 600 is actually working...

img019_zps4ab24200.jpg

img020_zpsa345518e.jpg

Hi Andy - long time no see...hope all is well in Jolly Olde England... :grin:

I know i always ask you this but have you heard from Paris Fred in the past couple years??

and thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement... (thumbs u

Hi Andy - long time no see...hope all is well in Jolly Olde England... :grin:

I know i always ask you this but have you heard from Paris Fred in the past couple years??

All's well. Haven't seen that much of Fred in the last 18 months, but I'm certain he'll be at the NYCC show in October.

Harry, my Sid's Luncheonette Copy of Showcase 17 is a beauty at a lower grad- I can't imagine how incredibly beautiful your X-Men 1 is in person. GLWTS Harry and I hope all is well with you.

John

Great book, great story! It must be hard to sell!

It gets easier with time. :( I've sold most of the big books but still have at least half of the original collection plus another 3000/4000 BA (Mostly Marvels that i still have to get at).

it always does me good to see a true original owner cash in for top dollar value or near it. Gratz to you for knowing what you had and being able to hold on and make a killing with such a great treasure. Could you ever even dream when you bought that book someday you would be offering it for 250,000 times your original investment? :cloud9:

That is incredible and story makes it all the better.

My LCS sold his original copies of FF a few years ago. I was in the store the day he sold them. He told me about him and his best friend (who still works at the shop) would take the bus into the city and ride their bikes home stopping at every store to buy their books. FF was the book that led him into dealing comics in the 70s. Needless to say it was a sad day in the store.

Good luck on the sale and that is an incredible book.

it always does me good to see a true original owner cash in for top dollar value or near it. Gratz to you for knowing what you had and being able to hold on and make a killing with such a great treasure. Could you ever even dream when you bought that book someday you would be offering it for 250,000 times your original investment? :cloud9:

I actually never did that math -wow... :insane:

Again, thanks to all for so many kind sentiments... (thumbs u

Any of you who aren't familiar with Harry's books.....rest assured, they are exceptional for their grades. Great collection.....pedigree quality stuff. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u