• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The time has come...

143 posts in this topic

For sellers (especially noobs) to realize the CGC boards specialize to a clientele who appreciate books being sold WITH grades...

I guess I am ranting because I take pride in my ability to grade and the fact that it has taken years to get there. Now every 3rd sales thread is full of books with no grades implied but top dollar asked. It doesn't work that way. New or unshelved does not mean 9.2...

Maybe instead of jumping in and selling immediately to capture small earnings spend some time understanding the concept of grading. You have to learn to walk before you run.

Sorry, something that has bugging me for a few months now and I see others are calling these people out asking about grades and then upon further inspection the books aren't as nice as they thought...huh?

And I don't want to thread krap but I think it should be discussed.

Would love to hear from long standing board members on this new trend especially since you all have seen it at a time when you had to actually put a technical grade.

Wouldn't mind hearing from those of you that have been around for a year also and your perspective.

Anyways, again, just something that bothers me. As I have said to many people lately...

Just because you have a book in hand doesn't make it worth top dollar. The grade of the book in hand is what determines your price.

JJ

I don't sell raw books 99.9% of the time because I was tired of debating grades with the uneducated. When I buy I ask for a grade from the seller and any scans/pics. I follow that up by stating I will be returning any books not in the grade stated.

I think it's a trend all over the web and not isolated to our little corner. I recently purchased a "high grade" run. He also stated average NM which is why I bought and subsequently returned the run.

Sellers (especially new sellers) will cut any corners they can to avoid being held responsible for the transaction. Part of the influx of sellers here is the prices buyers are paying.

As you say JJ ebb and flow

And I don't know these people nor do I have any issues with them, but I love to see a sales thread with a book I want and all I want is a grade? If it is 9.2 then so be it. Far better to be considered an under grader vs an over grader?

I agree. I simply ignore a sales thread where approx. grades aren't given. I just assume its their own 9.8 rejects.

Those are the only books I tend to sell raw. lol

I do list them as VF or better 9.8 prescreen failures though. :)

Yes, the board taught me how to grade. I won't sell a book without a grade and I won't buy one either. Books without grades tells me that if I am not happy, I am screwed. I don't like being screwed. I've purchased close to $40,000 worth of books from board members in my time here and I have only returned one purchase. It was painless and the seller acknowledged that he missed something and overgraded the book. If he had not graded the books, he could easily have hid behind the scans (the defect was barely visible in the scans).

People who don't grade are green at best and scammers at worst and either way, I'd rather keep my hard earned scratch.

Thanks for the information - Fairly new to the game so I registered here so I could continue to learn.

Sometimes I wish people would grade more honestly since I've had some setbacks on my ideas of a proper grade due to some of the items I've received in the past

is there a thread that shows us newbs how to grade properly? i know that may sound crazy, but if there isnt, there should be.

i say that because 98% of the books i buy are already slabbed. i get them in and look them over and with more then a few of my "9.8"'s, im like HOW THE EF did this get a 9.8?

personally, i cant see how any book with a CBC on the spine can get a 9.8, but i guess that's just me. (i wont even talk about miswraps lol)

is there a thread that shows us newbs how to grade properly? i know that may sound crazy, but if there isnt, there should be.

i say that because 98% of the books i buy are already slabbed. i get them in and look them over and with more then a few of my "9.8"'s, im like HOW THE EF did this get a 9.8?

personally, i cant see how any book with a CBC on the spine can get a 9.8, but i guess that's just me. (i wont even talk about miswraps lol)

I'm not much into buying raws on the secondary market, but would love to have a better understanding of what grades as a 9.8 vs a 9.6 and so on...

I'm not much into buying raws on the secondary market, but would love to have a better understanding of what grades as a 9.8 vs a 9.6 and so on...

Spend a lot of time in the spare a grade forum, guessing grades. Compare your grades with the others posted. In time, you will get good at it. Practice makes perfect.

Also, Overstreet does have a grading guide. Their grading standards are somewhat different from CGC but, it's a great tool to learn the basics, such as allowed defects in a grade ect...

Exactly. Personally it was trial and error with years of CGC submissions.

+1 it was exactly the same for me, 100's of submissions and eight years later I'm getting there - ebay rating is 5/5 for item as described and I sell 95% raws

I'm going to chime in here on this because it irks me as well.

When I post a raw book in a sales thread I give it a grade. When I post NM+ (9.6) or better that means it's a 9.8 candidate in my book.

I respect the buyers here on the boards because I began as one five years ago and the boards have taught me a lot.

Every book I buy I pre-screen for 9.8 quality. The raw books I submit CGC are the same books that I pull and sell raw here as well.

When I go to a show I take the time to go through the stacks and make sure they are all grade-able copies. I do not just grab books, then turn around and throw them up for sale with no grades assigned or something like "NMish" what is "NMish"? And what is "No grade implied"? lol

I saw a lot of people doing this at ECCC - grabbing stacks, then throwing them up for sale.

The unsuspecting buyer will just take it, the savvy one will return it. And they should. This isn't a free-for-all people. Respect the buyers here on the boards.

There may be high demand for a book but just because someone is selling something for $5 cheaper with no grade assigned, than the other guy(s) with a grade assigned... it does not necessarily make it a better deal. There's usually a reason there is no grade assigned - they are trying to dump it here raw because it's not clean.

In ending - you will always get a great copy from me. Some people don't care about their reputation. I do.