• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY - A Current DC We Can ALL Enjoy

126 posts in this topic

I liked it. The air brushed soft, retro cover is unlike most you see on the shelves, a plus for me. Also, a switch to the more innocent goes against the grain, which I also like. I'll get the next one.

I also agree with Flying Donut that this book is good for a youngster -- yet another good thing -- except the $3.50 price, of course!

Four stores and counting.... not one of them even ordered the book. One store mentioned someone else had asked about it.

That is SOOOOO depressing. If DC finally make a timeless old-fashioned Justice Society traditional Golden Age tale, and no comic shops stock it, then they won't be rushing to do anything else similar.

Sad.

Oh well, here's one miniseries that will exponentially increase in value in the future, a bit like Flex Mentallo.

Buying a spare set could be the wisest investment of the year.

Four stores and counting.... not one of them even ordered the book. One store mentioned someone else had asked about it.

That is SOOOOO depressing. If DC finally make a timeless old-fashioned Justice Society traditional Golden Age tale, and no comic shops stock it, then they won't be rushing to do anything else similar.

Sad.

Oh well, here's one miniseries that will exponentially increase in value in the future, a bit like Flex Mentallo.

sign-funnypost.gif

How goes the hunt for the last DC?

Someone has indeed found it, and he (a major dealer) is negotiating to get it for me- but the price isn't yet agreed. Unfortunately, I am also terribly strapped for cash right now, having maxed myself out.

I want to sell some of my original Disney cels and original production drawings (Fantasia, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, etc etc).

ComicManKev said he was gonna buy some but he can't at the moment, and I now urgently need to raise the money for this last comic right now.

Anyone on here wanna buy a few Disney cels to both acquire something fabulous, unique, and rare, and also to enable me to complete my DC collection after thirty years ????

If you do, speak now.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who wants to, and particularly grateful if we could time this right.

As hopefully CentaurMan or Filter will attest, I will do a VERY fair deal.

Ian, please send me a scan or a list of your cells. Do you have cells or the pencils beneath the cells or both?

Both.

And I have over sixty.

Some cels have original backgrounds too.

Are you interested ????

I could really do with selling some this week.

I've had them for twenty years.

Sad.

sign-funnypost.gif

LMFAO lol.gif

Just finished reading it. I was thoroughly disappointed. There are many more DCs out there that are much better. Y The Last Man is much better. Swamp Thing is much better. Identity Crisis is much better. JSA is much better. The list goes on. I would strongly recommend those titles & many more over JSA Strange Adventures. And I certainly wouldn't be touting it as potentially "the wisest investment of the year". Can anyone name one JSA mini-series that proved to be a "wise investment"? I thought not. sumo.gif

Just finished reading it. I was thoroughly disappointed. There are many more DCs out there that are much better. Y The Last Man is much better. Swamp Thing is much better. Identity Crisis is much better. JSA is much better. The list goes on. I would strongly recommend those titles & many more over JSA Strange Adventures. And I certainly wouldn't be touting it as potentially "the wisest investment of the year". Can anyone name one JSA mini-series that proved to be a "wise investment"? I thought not.

I still haven't had a chance to look at JSA Strange Adventures. But, I agree, under no circumstances is it any kind of investment, but I'm not sure who was recommending it for investment purposes?

I got the impression that Ian was recommending it as a good READ because it harkens back to the style of material that you might find in DC Comics decades ago. All of the examples that you refer to are written for adult tastes. Y, Swamp Thing, even Identity Crisis are all written for mature readers. From what I hear, JSA: SA is very much a comic that one could give to a kid and they should be able to follow it and enjoy it.

I got the impression that Ian was recommending it as a good READ because it harkens back to the style of material that you might find in DC Comics decades ago. All of the examples that you refer to are written for adult tastes. Y, Swamp Thing, even Identity Crisis are all written for mature readers. From what I hear, JSA: SA is very much a comic that one could give to a kid and they should be able to follow it and enjoy it.

Yes, but so were the early Justice League of America issues, and the Legion of Super Heroes in Adventure Comics, and the Metal Men, and all the early All Star Comics, and especially Tales of the Bizarro World, and all the Lois Lanes and Jimmy Olsens, not to mention the utterly wonderful Inferior Five, and Sugar And Spike.

THESE are the reasons I collected DC comics.

Is it SO terrible to have something that harkens back to those wonderful halcyon days ???

Does EVERY comic have to be adult and dark ????

I rest my case for this fabulous miniseries - JSA STRANGE ADVENTURES.

Please give it a chance instead of comparing it to the norm of modern comics.

Which will end first? Ians quest for his final DC or my quest for a copy of this book. Three mo' stores yesterday and still no copy. Did manage to spend over a hundred bucks though. Picked up some off the wall Kill Bill action figures in one store. Go-Go's is over the top!

Got a Space Ghost figure in another and a fantatic Second Age Sauron LOTR electronic figure in the third. Plus copies of Brought to Light and Los Tejanos,two of the best graphic novels of the late 80s.

Which will end first? Ians quest for his final DC or my quest for a copy of this book.

If no comic shops are stocking it, then that means that in the future, it will be much rarer than most comics from this period.

Couple that with the fact that it is exceptionally good - particularly for those collectors who like the old classic simple style of Superhero DCs - and you DO have a recipe for a valuable comic, where the demand in twenty years time, when it is acclaimed a true classic, will way outstrip the supply.

Laugh all you like - time will prove me correct, wait and see, and remember I told you so.

If no comic shops are stocking it, then that means that in the future, it will be much rarer than most comics from this period.

Couple that with the fact that it is exceptionally good - particularly for those collectors who like the old classic simple style of Superhero DCs - and you DO have a recipe for a valuable comic, where the demand in twenty years time, when it is acclaimed a true classic, will way outstrip the supply.

Laugh all you like - time will prove me correct, wait and see, and remember I told you so.

Okay, okay. Enough already. I'm going to buy 25 copies to pay for my kid's college tuition. You better be right. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Okay, okay. Enough already. I'm going to buy 25 copies to pay for my kid's college tuition. You better be right.

I am right.

Modern comics like the Batman "Hush" series sold so well that in twenty years time, they won't be rare at all.

However, Flex Mentallo, Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children, and a few others will rise up and up in value because people discovered how good they were long long after their tiny print-runs had disappeared.

A comic as old-fashioned in timeless quality as JSA Strange Adventures is sadly not being stocked by comic shops. Therefore very few copies will be around. Therefore it will never be easily available (a bit like Hawkman 33), and therefore, once people realise how good it was, they'll have to pay through the nose for it.

Comics like this can only go up in value.

Comics like Batman 608 and Superman 204, after their initial burst, can only go down in value.

Okay, okay. Enough already. I'm going to buy 25 copies to pay for my kid's college tuition. You better be right.

I am right.

Modern comics like the Batman "Hush" series sold so well that in twenty years time, they won't be rare at all.

However, Flex Mentallo, Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children, and a few others will rise up and up in value because people discovered how good they were long long after their tiny print-runs had disappeared.

A comic as old-fashioned in timeless quality as JSA Strange Adventures is sadly not being stocked by comic shops. Therefore very few copies will be around. Therefore it will never be easily available (a bit like Hawkman 33), and therefore, once people realise how good it was, they'll have to pay through the nose for it.

Comics like this can only go up in value.

Comics like Batman 608 and Superman 204, after their initial burst, can only go down in value.

If you say so. confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone looking for a sure fire, blue chip investment according to Ian can pick them up here. Prices range from $2.80 to $4.00. Buy them now & sell them down the road to pay for your kid's college tuition. How can you possibly lose??? foreheadslap.gif