• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition of High Grade

121 posts in this topic

'High grade' has nothing to do with scarcity, nothing to do with age.

It is a term used to describe a book with minor wear, no major defects, excellent eye-appeal. I'd personally say VF or better fits that description.

And considering that the whole grading structure is loosely described by three terms, people who think 'high grade' is reserved for books at 9.4 or better, or have 'mint' somewhere in their designation, are a little bit :screwy:

:/

I don't think the commonality of any given book in any given grade should determine that it is or isn't high grade.

I don't care if the highest graded known copy of Super Dooper Man is 6.5. 6.5 is mid grade all day long. Some yahoo on eBay may declare it to be high grade, but it isn't.

BS, if it's a rare GA in grades above fine, then 7.0 for that book is HG.

High grade for that book yes...but still not a high grade book. :foryou:

Jim

+1

I do mainly SA Marvel which for the most part are common as dirt so HG starts at 9.2 for me.

Understandable.

It's also the most confusing and subjective way to define terms whose entire intent is to simplify the idea of grading. "You think that 9.4 copy of Captain American #100 is high grade, do you? Don't you know how COMMON that is? It isn't high grade at all!" Relating grading terms to population makes the terms more confusing than the 25-point scale, not simpler, and just warps them into something that only another expert in whatever title and issue you're talking about can understand.

I used to use the terms like you are until I realized how backwards it is. Now I just use them to do what they're intended to do--describe the grade of a comic, regardless of the title and issue.

Fair enough. I just have a hard time holding GA books to the same standards as a SA/CA Marvel with 10,001 9.6-9.8 copies on the census (shrug)

After many pages, the thread on this a year ago settled on VF+/8.5 as the cut-off for "high grade."

Personally, I'm subjective...ain't no one gonna' convince me that a CGC 9.0 ASM 300 or CGC 9.2 Spider-Man (1990) # 1 is "high-grade."

And there are plenty of Bronze Age books that don't exist in CGC 9.8; they just happen not to be Marvel superhero issues.

And considering that the whole grading structure is loosely described by three terms, people who think 'high grade' is reserved for books at 9.4 or better, or have 'mint' somewhere in their designation, are a little bit :screwy:

The more common the book, the more it becomes obvious that mixing scarcity in with grade for grading terms makes them useless. Any newsstand comic is common in 9.6 and 9.8...so does that mean high grade doesn't start for new comics until 9.9 and 10.0? :screwy:

Scarcity is scarcity and grade is grade. Mixing them is natural for hard-core collectors and makes perfect sense at first blush, but it's ultimately confusing.

The ladies in FF's, Mr. Diggler & Flaming Telepath's signature line, those define high grade. So if you're comic looks that hot, it's high grade. (thumbs u

I'm glad to hear I've got so much pull! I just updated my sig in an effort to widen the definition of what high grade really means. :foryou:

The ladies in FF's, Mr. Diggler & Flaming Telepath's signature line, those define high grade. So if you're comic looks that hot, it's high grade. (thumbs u

I'm glad to hear I've got so much pull! I just updated my sig in an effort to widen the definition of what high grade really means. :foryou:

I just pm'd the mods asking you be banned for that monstrosity! :mad:

We post too many pics of women in skimpy clothes...it's time we devoted some space to content the ladies can enjoy. :sumo:

We post too many pics of women in skimpy clothes...it's time we devoted some space to content the ladies can enjoy. :sumo:

Now that i really look, He does have a pretty nice rack hm

I don't think the commonality of any given book in any given grade should determine that it is or isn't high grade.

I don't care if the highest graded known copy of Super Dooper Man is 6.5. 6.5 is mid grade all day long. Some yahoo on eBay may declare it to be high grade, but it isn't.

BS, if it's a rare GA in grades above fine, then 7.0 for that book is HG.

I disagree. Rarity doesn't factor into the definition of high grade. If a book is rare in grades above 4.0 and a copy surfaces in 5.0, that's considered high grade? BS

I call BS to your BS. :sumo:

Some books might be 'best available grade', but not high grade unless they are up in the 9's. An outhouse in a farmer's field is not called a 'skyscraper' simply because it is the tallest structure around, it is just the tallest structure in that field.

My opinion tends towards Jeffros outlook. High-grade is a set standard, and doesn't get to vary just because of age or rarity.

But that is just IMHO.

;)

-slym

You guys definitely make sense and i want to agree with it. Still, i just cant say a 8.0 Captain America 1 isn't HG. I have ZERO problem saying a 8.0 Avengers 4 isn't HG (shrug)

For me:

Moderns/Copper 9.6 and up NM+

Bronze 9.4 and up NM

Silver 9.2 and up NM-

Gold 9.0 and up VF/NM

I don't get how anything that doesn't have the word "mint" somewhere in the grade can be considered high grade.

But that's just me. :)

I agree that HG barometer moves per age/era and in some cases genre/era...

Modern 9.8

Copper 9.6

Bronze 9.4

Silver 9.0

Golden 8.0

And then, for example, Atlas/Marvel Pre-Heros 1954 - 1962 I'd go 7.5...in many cases there are no 9.0 or greater graded/known books...