• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How low is this?

20 posts in this topic

I bid on some comics on (DUN DUN DUN!) eBay and when I got them one was in horrible shape. I had a picture that showed a rough spine, but that's ok by me. As long as it's complete I'm good.

Well, it shows up today, 1/16th of an inch of the spine edge chipped away due to brittleness and the covers are completley seperated... Ok, it's eBay, but come on! I went to talk to the seller and he said that he put the info into the auction, and sure enough, he did...9 days after it started...in a 10 day auction! He has said he'll take the book back, but the under-handedness of altering the description 1 day before the auction ends is beyond the pale. Why do I bid on eBay?!? I must hate myself...

/rant

Thanks for listening CG therapists!

James

As your CGC therapist..I am here to tell you..

You are not alone..there are plenty of "I hate an Ebayer " threads here..

*pats on shoulder* just relax..and take comfort in the fact that most likely you did not buy from someone who wants a 25% restocking fee and you pay for shipping back on returns..

it could be worse..you could have bought a comic book from someone like that..

*pats on shoulder* just relax..and take comfort in the fact that most likely you did not buy from someone who wants a 25% restocking fee and you pay for shipping back on returns..

Without eBay, we wouldn't have this constant source of entertainment :thumbsup:

could be that he did not notice the problem until day 9

i have updated auctions late in the game when i see something i didn't see the first time around. i'd alert current bidders, but how do you alert a sniping program?

without Ebay I wouldn't have a lot of things!!

without Ebay I wouldn't have a lot of things!!

I wouldn't have my copy of Showcase # 34 that I got for $10 because the person listed it as Atom # 34!

Thanks for the support all! :) It's nice to know I can get sympathy at less than £40/hr! :D

I bid on the first day, and he changed the description on the ninth. Low blow all round, really!

Until I get the refund...calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean...

James

Regardless of the late hour of the changes, were they made before or after your bid?

Not if you're sniping. I have had that happen - it taught me to check auctions a day or two before they end just to check and see if anything has changed, because your bid isn't entered until the last 5 seconds.

Thanks for the support all! :) It's nice to know I can get sympathy at less than £40/hr! :D

I bid on the first day, and he changed the description on the ninth. Low blow all round, really!

I thought that once you bid on a ebay auction, the main description field gets locked down and cannot be edited anymore?

Thanks for the support all! :) I bid on the first day, and he changed the description on the ninth. Low blow all round, really!

It's not a low blow. It's considerably worse. It's called fraud.

James

sorry, i didn't see this response

that pretty much sux

I thought that once you bid on a ebay auction, the main description field gets locked down and cannot be edited anymore?

It has been a while since I sold on ebay but I think yes, the original description is locked down and cannot be changed after a bid. BUT I recall you can add to the description via a separate update type box where it will say something like "added on 3/19/2013" or similar.

It has been a while since I sold on ebay but I think yes, the original description is locked down and cannot be changed after a bid. BUT I recall you can add to the description via a separate update type box where it will say something like "added on 3/19/2013" or similar.

eBay would notice that right away though and do a refund right?

James

That's actually pretty ingenious. That's a seller thinking outside the box and down the hall. :golfclap: