• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Angela Joins the Marvel Universe, Gaiman to co-write Guardians of the Galaxy

70 posts in this topic

Looks like Spawn #9, a comic people had trouble selling for $2 or less, just went up. Let the speculation begin!

Put a spawn 9 in a Mylar an bring to a show and you could have sold it for $6 all day long before this news. 2c

Rich originally posted it as the 50/50 each-can-use deal on BC this morning, but then corrected it as:

UPDATE: Nope, apparently, as a result of the deal with Todd, Neil owns Angela, and her fellow angels, 100%.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/angela-joins-the-marvel-universe-as-neil-gaiman-and-brian-bendis-co-write-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

Which I presume means he got a correction from a very good source.

hmm..that would be an interesting development. I guess that would mean Gaiman either bought out McFarlane's 50%....or that McFarlane exchanged his 50% in lieu of the back pay owed to Gaiman.

First, a character I've never heard of is killed off in Batman Incorporated.

Now Marvel counters by introducing a Spawn character I've ever so vaguely heard of but kinda thought she was Spawn's wife but apparently she isn't.

The forever war continues.

hmm..that would be an interesting development. I guess that would mean Gaiman either bought out McFarlane's 50%....or that McFarlane exchanged his 50% in lieu of the back pay owed to Gaiman.

Yeah, it stands to reason SOMETHING happened there. You think about it, Marvel's not going to launch the character into the MU in a major way like this unless Neil has complete control and/or Todd is onboard with it in some kind of significant way. They couldn't realistically do something like this and have him out there using the character in ways they can't control (doing his own comics or merch, etc). Wouldn't make sense from Marvel's perspective.

First, a character I've never heard of is killed off in Batman Incorporated.

Now Marvel counters by introducing a Spawn character I've ever so vaguely heard of but kinda thought she was Spawn's wife but apparently she isn't.

The forever war continues.

What is interesting obviously is the politics behind the story. Odd though that a character that has been around for 20 years now should be considered a worthwhile addition to a universe that has enough of that type as it is.

I'm kind of amazed at how often I've seen someone say that today, but I guess it has been 20 years ago now.

This stretch of Spawn was a relatively big deal at the time. Todd got tired of some comments that Spawn was not a well-written book, so he hired Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Dave Sim, and Gaiman to write a Spawn #8-11. Gaiman and Greg Capullo went on to do a 3-issue Angela mini.

Yeah, it stands to reason SOMETHING happened there. You think about it, Marvel's not going to launch the character into the MU in a major way like this unless Neil has complete control and/or Todd is onboard with it in some kind of significant way. They couldn't realistically do something like this and have him out there using the character in ways they can't control (doing his own comics or merch, etc). Wouldn't make sense from Marvel's perspective.

I wonder if this move opens the door for

200px-Miracle3.png

Any Miracleman rumors Mark?

I wonder if this move opens the door for

200px-Miracle3.png

:wishluck:

To me she doesn't really fit in the Marvel Universe... (shrug)

-Ryan

If current Marvel characters "fit" in the Marvel Universe I can’t see why Angela shouldn’t… lol

OT: BTW, Gaiman should document himself properly about historical facts before fantasizing, as he did in 1602.

Neil has friends at Marvel.

This is just to rub it in Todd's face. I think it's great.

Todd was one of the ring leaders of Image's big stink over creator rights (i.e. more money), and now a character that Neil created, that he tried to STEAL, is going to Marvel and giving him the big middle finger.

This was kind of quiet at the time, but Marvel trademarked "Kimota!" in January (they already own the Marvelman trademark). Making progress...? Nothing concrete yet.

The rumor mill will be in overdrive over the next few days, I'm sure.

Even Chuckles had something to say on the topic.

===================

Howdy!

[blah blah blah]

In other news, the comics world was rocked today by word that, after having successfully litigated to regain his creator rights, Neil Gaiman has chosen to move his very sexy ANGELA character from Image Comics, over to Marvel. ANGELA will first appear in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2013) #5, releasing right about same the time of this year's San Diego Comic-Con. Suffice it to say, we have already sent a letter of intent to Marvel, asking to publish an exclusive Mile High Comics variant edition of this historic release. They have already responded positively, but made clear that since this is such a surprise to everyone at Marvel, that details still need to be worked out. They did say, however, that we were #1 on the list!

On a very closely related topic, our exclusive Mile High Comics variant edition of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 will be releasing next Wednesday. We are still accepting pre-orders on this issue at all of our retail stores at only $6 each, but only through closing this Sunday. Once Monday rolls around, our copies of this highly promoted new title from Marvel will need to rise to $9.95. Please do place your preorder on this book right away, as our advance sales on this title are the highest of any Mile High Comics exclusive edition in our history, exceeding even our pre-sales of our SAVAGE WOLVERINE #1 and WOLVERINE (2013) #1 variants.

JAN139997.gif

[blah blah blah]

Happy Collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,

President - Mile High Comics, Inc.

March 21, 2013

UPDATE: Last night, Mile High Comics were selling Spawn #9 in NM for $2.30. Their price today? $70.

:roflmao:

Speculator Corner: Spawn #9 By Neil Gaiman And Todd McFarlane, The First Appearance Of Angela

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/speculator-corner-spawn-9-by-neil-gaiman-and-todd-mcfarlane-the-first-appearance-of-angela/