• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare CGC Books with LESS than 50 in CENSUS Registry

51 posts in this topic

Im curious in CGC Census rated books that are either scarce, rare, or for whatever reason have been graded in low numbers.

Of course this would include books that are ZERO on the CGC Census...

I find this fascinating as CGC has been in business for 13 years why are these unique books in low numbers at CGC. I have a few books like this for the simple fact that they are foreign, scarce, or just simply lack desirability...

Hope to see some rare birds! :popcorn:

valiantfan could probably answer this for you (thumbs u

Great!! Well its not really a question as i know many of my books are literally 2 or less or simply NONE CGCed at all. I am just curious what else is out there with low numbers.

This will prove a bit more challenging than who has the highest grade.

I find low CGC Census numbers WAY more challenging then a 9.8 Amazing Spiderman #129 as there are over 4800 copies graded....

4800 books proves that the book is abundant and will never be rare....

but on the flipside I may have the largest ASM129 set of books from every country along with my friends Liam and Hector.

Quite a few books from the Marvel Silver Age First Issue registry set will fall in that category:

Pussycat #1 (14 copies )

Groovy #1 ( 20 copies )

Mad About Millie #1 ( 10 copies )

Homer, the Happy Ghost #1 ( 22 copies )

My Love #1 ( 29 copies )

Our Love Story #1 ( 30 copies )

Marvel's Greatest Comics #23 ( 13 copies )

Mighty Marvel Western #1 ( 36 copies )

Peter the Little Pest #1 ( 24 copies )

That is pretty cool ill check these books out. Thanks

Check my sig line :gossip:

Damn BSD's :baiting:

BSD ?

Big Swinging D ic$s = highrollers (worship)

HA !! This coming from the guy who ranks #1 in the Avengers set (worship)(worship)(worship)

That is pretty cool ill check these books out. Thanks

Check my sig line :gossip:

Damn BSD's :baiting:

BSD ?

Big Swinging D ic$s = highrollers (worship)

HA !! This coming from the guy who ranks #1 in the Avengers set (worship)(worship)(worship)

PLEASE!

I'm almost embarrassed to even accept that! It isnt even 1-whatever, its the 92-200 and even then only because cheetah sold his off. You passed me by LOOOOONG ago brotha (worship)

Im curious in CGC Census rated books that are either scarce, rare, or for whatever reason have been graded in low numbers.

I find this fascinating as CGC has been in business for 13 years why are these unique books in low numbers at CGC. I have a few books like this for the simple fact that they are foreign, scarce, or just simply lack desirability...

Reasons will be as you say:

• Scarcity (low print run or just not many around today for various reasons; many older comics were likely chucked but, from the 1970's onwards more collectors emerged hence later comics are more available). Some comics have been recalled or had limited regional distribution or simply printed in small numbers.
  • Foreign edition: In previous times everyone collected US copies of Marvel and DC but there is some interest in foreign editions now
  • Condition: Maybe comics are simply not submitted due to grade; for more modern comics there is little value difference in the lower grades between CGC and raw
  • Value (desirability): Why spend $ slabbing comics that have little value? Not everyone has a registry set or collects sets of CGC comics (or collects CGC comics as they see encasing comics in plastic as a silly idea - you can't read them!).
  • ..and probably other reasons like a complete lack of interest e.g. for the less mature comics (although there seems to be a weird cult around My Little Pony comics :) )

Here are some potentially interesting ones:

• Superman "This Island Bradman" (1988) 200 printed (probably only a quarter left now) - custom item for a Billionaire's son's 13th Birthday; Census has 13.
  • Miracleman #1 United Kingdom - U.K. Edition; census has 1 (even though lots were printed!)
  • Miracleman #1 3-D: 2-D variant (100 printed); census has 1 correction 2, both 9.0.
  • Universe X Spidey: Dynamic Forces Recalled Sketch; census has 11.
  • Superman #409 Superhombre Logo variant; census has 4 (and I expect there are less than 10 in existence)
  • V for Vendetta 2-10
  • Elektra Assassin 3-8

For the last two plenty of these were produced but there seems to be more slabbing interest in the early numbers, especially the #1's (the more valuable).

Reasons will be as you say:

• Scarcity (low print run or just not many around today for various reasons; many older comics were likely chucked but, from the 1970's onwards more collectors emerged hence later comics are more available). Some comics have been recalled or had limited regional distribution or simply printed in small numbers.
  • Foreign edition: In previous times everyone collected US copies of Marvel and DC but there is some interest in foreign editions now
  • Condition: Maybe comics are simply not submitted due to grade; for more modern comics there is little value difference in the lower grades between CGC and raw
  • Value (desirability): Why spend $ slabbing comics that have little value? Not everyone has a registry set or collects sets of CGC comics (or collects CGC comics as they see encasing comics in plastic as a silly idea - you can't read them!).
  • ..and probably other reasons like a complete lack of interest e.g. for the less mature comics (although there seems to be a weird cult around My Little Pony comics :) )

Here are some potentially interesting ones:

• Superman "This Island Bradman" (1988) 200 printed (probably only a quarter left now) - custom item for a Billionaire's son's 13th Birthday; Census has 13.
  • Miracleman #1 United Kingdom - U.K. Edition; census has 1 (even though lots were printed!)
  • Miracleman #1 3-D: 2-D variant (100 printed); census has 1.
  • Universe X Spidey: Dynamic Forces Recalled Sketch; census has 11.
  • Superman #409 Superhombre Logo variant; census has 4 (and I expect there are less than 10 in existence)
  • V for Vendetta 2-10
  • Elektra Assassin 3-8

For the last two plenty of these were produced but there seems to be more slabbing interest in the early numbers, especially the #1's (the more valuable).

thats awesome you picked some cool ones :)

and yes your reasons are right on with why they could be low CGC census levels