• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First post : Damaged holder in mail.

20 posts in this topic

i bought a book on ebay, nothing rare or expensive, but i need it to complete a run. it came a couple days ago and the CGC holder has spider cracks near the top and a chunk is missing. the comic has not been effected.

anyways i bought this through a friends account, so when the book arrived he gave the seller good feedback without opening the package, so i opened it and threw the wrapping in the garbage, so i dont know what company it was sent by ect.

this is only my second comic purchase since i was little (19 now) im a big car guy.

now im wondering what do i do to get this book recased by cgc ?

how much does it cost, how long does it take ???? i cant have it in a fragile case, and i dont want to crack it open and have it without a case.

i live in canada.

You can send the book (still in the damaged case) back to CGC and get it reholdered for $11.00. They will charge you return shipping fees. I could not even guess how much that would be since you live in Canada, however, I cannot imagine that it would break the bank.

Click here for more information on their services. And, click here for detailed shipping information.

I would recommend going to HeritageComics, click on the "Save 20% on CGC Grading" link near the bottom of the page. You will have to become a member of Heritage, but it does not cost anything and it will allow you to fill out a CGC submission form on-line.

Send the book to:

CGC

P.O. Box 4738

Sarasota, FL 34230

If you still have questions, then call them at 1-877-NM-COMIC or at 941-360-3991.

Hope this helps.

I had 2 books arrive from CGC damaged -- no damage to the box they were shipped in but one slab was completely shattered. When I called I was told (rather rudely), "That's impossible. No books could get past QC that way." He also told me to send it back and it would be reholdered for free.

All went well. Book came back nice and pretty. But 8 or 9 months later a $10 charge showed up on my credit card from CGC. So I called CGC to find out what was going on. It seems someone was auditing the books and found where I had not been charged to have my book reholdered. So they just charged me (8 months later). Of course no one there "remembered" actually telling me to resubmit it. 893frustrated.gif

Steve, I want my $10 back!!!!

yeah, i have a few CGC'ed books that shouldn't have gotten past their QC Christo_pull_hair.gif

I recently recieved a book back that has what appears to be a chunk of microchamber paper about the size of a nickel in between the cover of the book and the slab.

yeah, i have a few CGC'ed books that shouldn't have gotten past their QC Christo_pull_hair.gif

I recently recieved a book back that has what appears to be a chunk of microchamber paper about the size of a nickel in between the cover of the book and the slab.

I recently received four books from CGC: perfectly graded, perfect packed economies 3-1/2 months from the day I shipped them - couldn't be happier. cloud9.gif

gossip.gif just thought I'd throw in a beauty among the beasts - thanks guys! cloud9.gif

any chance of getting them to reholder for free in these cases? there has to be some level of expectation for quality of service. sign-rantpost.gif

It seems someone was auditing the books and found where I had not been charged to have my book reholdered. So they just charged me (8 months later). Of course no one there "remembered" actually telling me to resubmit it.

Are you serious?

If so, then CGC is a bunch of for thinking that they "missed" the charge for 8 months, and that you're lying about the free offer. Come on, just do the 893censored-thumb.gif math. Either that, or bring out a calender.

Then again, with all the cleaned, pressed and trimmed books making their way out in Universal slabs, it's not that surprising.

any chance of getting them to reholder for free in these cases? there has to be some level of expectation for quality of service. sign-rantpost.gif

From my experience, CGC will indeed reholder the book for free under such circumstances. thumbsup2.gif

be thankful it wasn't a chunk of the book...

I got my ASM 129 back with a small piece of paper in between the cover and the slab also so you are not alone. The buyer didnt mind so I didnt complain back to them.

On the topic of customer care: CGC has no reason to really "care" about their customer base. They've established what is essentially a monopoly in the comic grading department.

Your holder is cracked? Get your books graded elsewhere.

Your grading label is crooked? Why should we care? Go to those *laugh* other guys.

It took us 9 weeks to get you that standard book back? Too bad. We're the only game in town.

Is this type of service ethically sound? Of course not...but they can do it and you pretty much have to suck it up.

Now, this might be a bit over the top, but it's true. If they cause a problem there's no real incentive to fix it. They know you'll come back, no?

my experiences with CGC have been decent to date, just as a FYI. but if something does go wrong, I won't expect top-flight customer service...I'd still rather get my books done by CGC than PGX.

From my experience, CGC will indeed reholder the book for free under such circumstances. thumbsup2.gif

I've got 4 or 5 getting free reholdered because they were broken on the way back to me when I got them graded. One also had an incorrect label which is getting fixed. I'm also considering sending others because the info on the label just isn't correct. (HOM 321 is NOT the Death of Andrew Bennett (I, Vampire) guys! 893censored-thumb.gif)

On the topic of customer care: CGC has no reason to really "care" about their customer base. They've established what is essentially a monopoly in the comic grading department.

Your grading label is crooked? Why should we care? Go to those *laugh* other guys.

It took us 9 weeks to get you that standard book back? Too bad. We're the only game in town.

Is this type of service ethically sound? Of course not...but they can do it and you pretty much have to suck it up.

Now, this might be a bit over the top, but it's true. If they cause a problem there's no real incentive to fix it. They know you'll come back, no?

my experiences with CGC have been decent to date, just as a FYI. but if something does go wrong, I won't expect top-flight customer service...I'd still rather get my books done by CGC than PGX.

Excuse me for being so brash, but I think you are out of your head with the "evil corporation" bit. In my experience CGC has bent over backwards to make all the stuff like you mention above right. I've had it all happen to me, too. Wrong labels. Cracked cases. Destroyed books. You name it, and they fixed it at their expense. Without me twisting their arm.

Why would you post such a thing if you did not have direct experience that such a thing was true?

Excuse me for being so brash, but I think you are out of your head with the "evil corporation" bit. In my experience CGC has bent over backwards to make all the stuff like you mention above right. I've had it all happen to me, too. Wrong labels. Cracked cases. Destroyed books. You name it, and they fixed it at their expense. Without me twisting their arm.

Why would you post such a thing if you did not have direct experience that such a thing was true?

I was just playing Devil's Advocate and giving providing reasons why people do experience bad service (just because it hasn't happened to me doesn't mean I've never seen/heard it happen to others). If they bend over backward to help, that's truly fantastic...I just don't think there is reason enough for them to do so at this time.

They are the only game in town...I'll be more than happy to jump to their defense if and when I have a problem and they resolve it in a courteous manner.