• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is USPS priority mail no longer two to three days?

45 posts in this topic

Let me finish up this way about that, HS - were I ever to go to a court of law over something like this, I have no doubt it would go in my favour. Ebay can say "no insurance," to me that means I as a seller cannot even put insurance on a parcel. That is not true. I can also explain very clearly that if a total shipping charge can include insurance (which was the last policy I saw) - say instead of $5 for S&H plus $1.50 for insurance because that is a no-no, but charging $6.50 is acceptable, and the buyer of my item pays for shipping, then THEY are buying the insurance.

If my brother is hurt and can't go buy, say a new TV, and he gives me the money for the TV but I go and do the physical purchase, who actually bought the TV? Whose TV is it?

The answer: not mine.

I have full confidence my case is solid.

If there has been a ruling like this where my point has been proven wrong, I'd like to see it.

ebay has never said you can't insure a package, just that you can't levy an extra charge on the buyer for it. so, do what you do and build it into the S/H amount.

So, putting an extra charge into the shipping charge (which the buyer pays) to cover insurance is still me buying the insurance???

My logic circuits cannot compute that.

-slym

Anyone experiencing delays with Priority Mail? I sent a package from NYC via Priority Mail to NC on Saturday, 3/23; it was dispatched to the sort facility in NY and left NY on 3/24. It didn't arrive in Fayetteville, NC until today, 3/26 at 6 pm. Presumably it'll get to my buyer tomorrow, 3/27 assuming the postal workers there dont decide to use my package as a soccer ball. So now Priority Mail takes 4 days to arrive from one destination to the other even though they're on the same coast and just several hundred miles apart?

A few weeks ago, I sent a package to CO from NY via Priority and it took 5 days.

Well, I usually don't count the day that I took it to the post office. So if you think of it that way:

You took it Saturday 3/23

No mail on Sunday

Monday 3/25

Tuesday 3/26

Today 3/27

So it was pretty much 3 days, unless my way of thinking is wrong.

Last time I checked, Sunday is a day. And you may be surprised, but USPS does actually work on Sundays sorting out mail and dispatching it to post offices and other sorting facilities.

So do they just not deliver on Sundays?

Correct. Packages and mail still gets moved around on Sundays just not delivered.

I had a discussion with my Post Master. The USPS is not in the bad shape everyone is saying. They have different areas of reported profits and losses. They are still making a ton of money, just not in every area. They are losing money in some areas, but are booming in other areas. Junk mail is a major profit area still. What they are trying to do is to eliminate their biggest expense: people. He had a breakdown and yes, some areas looked horrible. Others were looking like a profitable business and compensated for the losses he had on his paper.

We also discussed stamps. A face value stamp of 10 cents (example) will have to be honored. If they went bankrupt he thinks those Forever Stamps would be worth zero (a huge $ boost for USPS). He said that UPS and FedEx were killing them in some areas however USPS is subcontracted now by FedEx for handling deliveries. They just got new systems in that are supposed to squeeze every dime out of mailing packages. Post Masters have been informed to scrutinize every package for maximum charges because their jobs depend on it.

I don’t believe USPS is hurting like everyone says they are. It’s funny how when working in corporate America every quarter was record earnings until November when some “disaster” would hit and our bonus’s went down the tubes just to be followed by another 3 quarters of record earnings. USPS is playing games for profit.

On topic: 2-3 days unless it gets misrouted with is not that uncommon.