• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeff's Golden Age Supermans on Parade!

45 posts in this topic

It would have been an interesting time.

America was obviously cranking up the war effort due to the conflict in Europe. War was probably the topic of conversation everywhere.

Yet no one (or extremely few) were expecting us to have to enter the war in the way we did.

I've read a little about it, and the entire summer before Pearl Harbor there were two major topics of discussion, the war was #1, and Dimaggio's hitting streak was a close #2. Definitely an interesting time.

17 and 18 are my all time favorite Superman covers. There's no doubt in my mind when I look at those covers that our cause was just. I get goosebumps when I think about those war years and the way almost everyone sacrificed and pulled together.

I'm also a huge fan of #18. You can't really tell from my copy, but a copy of that book with really strong color is just awesome. I bought a high grade copy from Mark Wilson 20+ years ago and foolishly sold it when I needed $$ to buy a few Church books. The Reilly copy in the CGC gallery is one of my favorite books ever!

I need to mention issue 23 as well.

if that is the periscope cover, that was the first GA Superman I ever bought (after I finished action, I had minor inspiration)

rick