• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GI Joe Retalliation Reviews

85 posts in this topic

It has to be better than the first one.

The 1st one was fun. What's not to like? (shrug)

The first one,aside from having a few hot chicks,was worse than a back alley abortion done with a rusty coat hunger.

Clearly you're WAY too passionate about G.I.JOE

The first one?

This was my review four years ago and after reading it... I still stand by it.

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

I honestly went in with an open mind and wanted to like this movie. I really did. The uniform costume patterns for the characters made sense from a film perspective. After all, what works in a comic book or a cartoon may not translate to film. I had no problem with the X-Men suits nor some of the other aesthetic changes.

The Good:

- This was the Baroness' movie. Miller steals the movie right from the beginning. At some points she was the only redeeming factor in the scenes.

- Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. It was a new and different way to tell the origin of a seemingly orphaned Snake Eyes. Even as kids they put on excellent fight scenes. To me, it was a welcome change.

- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Heavy Duty - I loved him as Mr Eko on Lost and he shines here as well

- Destro (I actually liked Destro)

- Zartan - Arnold Vosloo fit in well but should have had an expanded role.

The Bad

- Apparently the President of the United States is British and a former James Bond Villain

- Lots of dialogue. The -script was rushed before the writers strike which we already knew and it kind of shows. People in my theater were openly mocking parts of this film... This is a problem. Who goes to a midnight showing unless you are already a fan of the source material.

- Marlon Wayons - I have no problem with changing the character of Rip Cord. That is NOT my complaint. Wayons acting seemed contrived. It just did not work for me. Perhaps that had to do with the -script more than the delivery, however I would have given more of a role to Heavy Duty instead of Rip Cord.

- Lips on Snake Eyes is like nipples on a bat suit.

- Vow of silence? Really? Have Storm Shadow slash his throat or something. That would have worked a lot better.

- The acting seemed forced all around in many situations with corny dialogue producing a lack of chemistry between the characters.

The Ugly

- The Gungan Underwater City

- A major motion picture that spawns a video game with better special effects than the movie itself. When the video game seems more advanced than the movie, that is a problem.

- The shot per shot... I am not kidding and neither are others on this... shot per shot 'homage' of Return of the Jedi. They literally used similar camera angles and the sequencing of major parts of the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi. I honestly was surprised that Duke did not fist pump more and turn to Sienna Miller as she uttered gibberish when they escaped their fiery route to freedom (as Lando Calrissian and his co pilot did in the Falcon when escaping the exploding Death Star.) Yeah, it was that bad.

- The Vipers even sounded like Stormtroopers... someone at industrial light and magic must be snickering at this. I could have even sworn that they threw in a few tie fighter fly by effects and laser firings just for fun.

- Cobra Commander. Weak... all I could say. I wanted to get behind it. I really did but I simply could not.

On its own merit Joe fans are going to give the film a bump because of the content. However, if you yank the brand name off of the film and replace it with a generic military sci fi title does the film stand as a quality movie?

The answer to me is "no." I do not believe that naysayers are picky or overly down on this film. In fact, a critical analysis of a film is to be applauded.

And on a final point, to those that claim that GI Joe is not geared towards the Oscar audience I say this: There are a lot of quality films that are not intended to be serious oscar contenders, yet they are still well executed films that succeed in their intent. GI Joe was lacking a lot focus and as cited above, suffers from poor direction, editing and weak -script in upon itself.

GIJoe - poorly directed, edited and paced, weak -script, borrows heavily from Star Wars movies - save your money and see it on Net Flix

Lady Jaye :cloud9:

gi-joe-retaliation-adrianne-palicki-lady-jaye-570x855.jpg

Hubba hubba.

Still won't see it. I saw parts of the first one. Garbage. It was as bad as Transformers (which I still cannot believe I actually watched in it's entirety).

Lady Jaye :cloud9:

gi-joe-retaliation-adrianne-palicki-lady-jaye-570x855.jpg

Hubba hubba.

Still won't see it. I saw parts of the first one. Garbage. It was as bad as Transformers (which I still cannot believe I actually watched in it's entirety).

She is very attractive. I also agree with your assessment of Transformers and I have never watched the first film in it's entirety. Never watched the sequels at all.

As to Gi Joe...you couldn't pay me to watch any of them. Why? They look exactly like the Battleship movie...IE total garbage.

Seeing it today, post a review if ya got one!

Seeing it in two hours. I'll let you know. Looking forward to it! I am actually going with my father who loved the first one even though he had absolutely NO interest in the 80's cartoon and toy series like I did.

He (and my mother) just remember me needing every single action figure made. My parents went nuts satisfying me as a kid. I was really into GI Joe, Star Wars, amd Masters of the Universe.

Transformers came in at a distant fourth to those series, but at one time I had them all. I HATED the Transformer movies; however.

Hopefully they do a third GI Joe film; as I loved the first. I just wish it was more like the darn cartoon series and toy line.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Seeing it today, post a review if ya got one!

Seeing it in two hours. I'll let you know. Looking forward to it! I am actually going with my father who loved the first one even though he had absolutely NO interest in the 80's cartoon and toy series like I did.

He (and my mother) just remember me needing every single action figure made. My parents went nuts satisfying me as a kid. I was really into GI Joe, Star Wars, amd Masters of the Universe.

Transformers came in at a distant fourth to those series, but at one time I had them all. I HATED the Transformer movies; however.

Hopefully they do a third GI Joe film; as I loved the first. I just wish it was more like the darn cartoon series and toy line.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Look forward to your review.

I am suppose to see it next week with a few friends.

I am hoping Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are portrayed well in this.

:wishluck:

I havn't gone out to see this yet since don't like crowded theatres but looking forward to seeing this movie.

While I have seen a lot of trailers my expectations are not jaded based off the first movie since this is a revamp. While it is a sequel it is a restart. Like how they do comics and keep releasing #1's :P

Now when it comes to the new director and while he did do movies like step up it is the choreograph skills that he brings to the table and why I am excited to see this movie for the ninja scenes.

All the people I have spoken too said it was a fun movie and enjoyed themselves and a few of those where not even avid Joe fans like myself.

To me that speaks volumes.

I like GI Joe, I'm not a fanatic. I grew up on the show and know a lot about the characters had a lot of toys etc.

I did not like the first movie because of the things they got wrong and it was just a bad movie.

This one I thought looked much better.

hm

:censored:

:tonofbricks:

:facepalm:

It was terrible. My friend agreed. It was one of the worst movies we sat through in a long time. None of it was interesting or well done.

Save your money. Stay home, watch it on disc if you have to...but dont waste your time or money at the theater. I'm so thankful I decided to go see it in 2D at the regular theater. I cant imagine how ripped off I would have felt seeing it in 3D IMAX.

I liked the first movie. I wasn't amazed by it, but enjoyable...AND it had Sienna Miller :luhv:

Besides a pretty awesome mountain scene, the new one sucked a golf ball out of a garden hose. Story was soft. No Sienna. No Destro. Other characters from the first movie not in this one without explanation. :boo:

I would have liked to see a LOTR sized battle scene. In the cartoons it seems like they always had a combination of large scale battle plus one on one fisticuffs.

Also would like to see Shipwreck and Wild Bill and maybe even the not do politically correct character Spirit?

I can't think of who as a villain would work in the third one? Major Bludd? Scrap Iron? Please not Serpentor!