• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bounce from Image

129 posts in this topic

I'll pick it up because I like the art. Don't really know much about the story. Looks like a mixed Spider-man and DD.

Pat

I'll followtheleader

[see what I did there]

Nice, my dreams were finally realized.

Pat

This is the interview that got me interested:

"As it turns out, after working on the "Ultimate Spider-Man" animated show, ....I realized I'd figured out what the essence of Spider-Man really is, why that type of character works so well (beyond the obvious attributes that pretty much everyone already knows)..... In this case, I'd actually cracked a deeper code. And, once I'd cracked it, I could apply it to one of my own creations while having the freedom to take it beyond the constraints of a corporately-owned IP, which is really all Spider-Man is now. There's a reason why no one has matched the energy and the inventiveness of the initial [stan] Lee-[steve] Ditko run. [David] Michelinie-[Todd] McFarlane got close, in terms of energy -- really, really close. With "The Bounce," it feels like we might've caught lightning in a bottle here."

I like to see whether has he really "cracked the code"

Not sure if this has been discussed (or if a thread has been opened). Thoughts? LINK

bounce1_cover.jpg

Speedball. hm

But, the Image stuff has been good lately, so I'll give it a read. There's so little well written superhero stuff right now.

This is the interview that got me interested:

"As it turns out, after working on the "Ultimate Spider-Man" animated show, ....I realized I'd figured out what the essence of Spider-Man really is, why that type of character works so well (beyond the obvious attributes that pretty much everyone already knows)..... In this case, I'd actually cracked a deeper code. And, once I'd cracked it, I could apply it to one of my own creations while having the freedom to take it beyond the constraints of a corporately-owned IP, which is really all Spider-Man is now. There's a reason why no one has matched the energy and the inventiveness of the initial [stan] Lee-[steve] Ditko run. [David] Michelinie-[Todd] McFarlane got close, in terms of energy -- really, really close. With "The Bounce," it feels like we might've caught lightning in a bottle here."

I like to see whether has he really "cracked the code"

You're right, that does sound intriguing. The name is still doofy but maybe worth a look at least.

Things that don't inspire confidence:

- That quote above just sounds like a pretentious way of saying this book book is a Spider-Man knock off.

- The Micheline/McFarlane Spider-Man run got close to Lee/Ditko? Really? McFarlane's art was killer, of course, but that was one of the absolute worst Spider-Man era's for story and character development. Basically, The Bounce seems to be a Spider-Man knock off by a writer who actually has NOT "cracked a deeper code" of Spider-Man understanding.

- Sex.

Things that don't inspire confidence:

- That quote above just sounds like a pretentious way of saying this book book is a Spider-Man knock off.

That's fair. I guess I optimistically saw the quote as "a take on Spiderman that Marvel couldn't do, but Image could", a la some of Alan Moore's 90s titles which reworked DC character concepts. Could be interesting. I know nothing about this writer though so you may be right.