• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the weirdest thing...

52 posts in this topic

I actually ordered the Venus Fly Trap, circa 1965. It actually showed up, too. A nasty, fish-belly white root that smelled of carrion. We planted it and hoped for the best, but it never sprouted.

Well, at least I got something back....

A boardie had recommended this book last year. I picked up a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921550&sr=8-1&keywords=mail+order+mysteries

Mail Order Mysteries. The authors identify and assess the popular mail order offers that were in the backs of comic books throughout all comic book time periods.

That... is sweet. Going on my list of books to find!

:headbang:

-slym

As a kid in the UK ordering any of this stuff was a world away, it didnt stop me dreaming though.

I remember an ad where you sold....maybe grit lol door to door and if you sold enough, you could get a bike.

There were no bikes like this in the UK at the time, extended forks and ape hanger handlebars, man, I wanted that bike, I still do :cry:

A boardie had recommended this book last year. I picked up a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364921550&sr=8-1&keywords=mail+order+mysteries

Mail Order Mysteries. The authors identify and assess the popular mail order offers that were in the backs of comic books throughout all comic book time periods.

Does the author talk about the live animals and the submarine?

I either saw or read something on old comic book ads, and a lot of them were ripoffs. Like the "submarine" that was just a bunch of cardboard. But surprisingly, there was a guy selling actual monkeys in the back of comics, and actually delivering. I think it was $6 for a monkey :D

Does the author talk about the live animals and the submarine?

And pictures of what you would actually receive as opposed to just the ads?

What I want to know is whether anyone actually ordered one of these. My Mom always said "NO WAY!"

pet_monkey.jpg

I am sort of wondering how you could keep a seahorse in a regular bowl..

I mean they were probably all dead when they got to the recipient anyway but aren't seahorse saltwater living creatures....

:lol: Try getting away with that now!

Just think, we were exposed to all this kind of stuff and yet we turned out, by and large, just fine.

hm

:roflmao:meh

really lol

Well, we all didn't turn out like CAL, so...

:D

-slym

Sea monkeys. Damned brine shrimp wouldn't even smile at me.

*sigh*

+ 1

Then this dork showed up in the tank and they started breeding like mad.

1176843860_37b9e50175.jpg

...and that is how Namor was born!

:whistle:

-slym

As a kid in the UK ordering any of this stuff was a world away, it didnt stop me dreaming though.

I remember an ad where you sold....maybe grit lol door to door and if you sold enough, you could get a bike.

There were no bikes like this in the UK at the time, extended forks and ape hanger handlebars, man, I wanted that bike, I still do :cry:

HAHA neener I got my bike selling Christmas cards folks could special order w/ engraved names on them..

From selling seeds I got a tent,river raft,fluffy cat radio,multi purpose hand crank flashlight/radio, and my very own 8 track portable player.

Ordering from comic books I usually only ordered subscriptions to other comic books.

One year I hit the jackpot. Some sort of clerical error garnered me 2 copies each month of every subscription I had. One came under my first name and one under my middle name.

But I only paid for 4 titles. I got two of each every month for nearly 3 years.

Unfortunately my mom was one of those draconian overlords who made me throw away or donate a copy of the last month's book BEFORE I could take the new one out of the cardboard sleeve. :(

I think only two comic books survived my mom..

I ordered Three T shirts for 5.00 I think one was a Led Zeppelin T,a keep on truckin T,and Hulk T shirt.Nothing spectacular.

No Spectacular Spider-Man :o Hulk would be good though..

What I want to know is whether anyone actually ordered one of these. My Mom always said "NO WAY!"

pet_monkey.jpg

I am sort of wondering how you could keep a seahorse in a regular bowl..

I mean they were probably all dead when they got to the recipient anyway but aren't seahorse saltwater living creatures....

You can't.

I was EXPERT level with my saltwater tanks a few years back. even with a PERFECT tank and every piece of equipment imaginable, seahorses are still fairly difficult to keep. DEFINITELY not something you could keep in a bowl (thumbs u