• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA Error? Shazam (1973) #1 CGC 9.8 Sells for $2500?

52 posts in this topic

I was just browsing GPA and noticed that Shazam (1973) #1 CGC 9.8 just sold for $2500 last week. Can this be correct? This book has been going for about $250 or so for years. In fact, this exact book with the same serial number sold for exactly $250 last year. Did GPA just add a 0 to the sale price?

If this is a mistake, it should be corrected because it is throwing off the GPA 12 month average!

I was just browsing GPA and noticed that Shazam (1973) #1 CGC 9.8 just sold for $2500 last week. Can this be correct? This book has been going for about $250 or so for years. In fact, this exact book with the same serial number sold for exactly $250 last year. Did GPA just add a 0 to the sale price?

If this is a mistake, it should be corrected because it is throwing off the GPA 12 month average!

i have a 9.4, how much are they going for?

Wow, and a little bit of a miss-wrap to boot!

I'd be curious to know if this sale actually went through and the buyer paid. I would hope it get's removed from the gpa data if the seller were to re-list in the coming days.

**Just picked up a 9.6 at c-link anyone want to pay me $1200 for it? Press it and I'm sure you can flip it for $2,500 haha!!!** :kidaround:

Ond of my favourite characters but I thought this title had been dead for years.

Someone really wanted that book!

i mean he's making abit of a comeback with the new JL stuff but nothing to explain this

maybe the "highest grade" made the buyer think that it was the only 9.8, not that there are 41 or so others

The character is making a comeback, and it's because DC is committed to giving the character the attention it deserves. The Johns/Frank back-up on JLA is absolutely top-notch, old-school-type quality. DC has officially dumped the pre-WWII moniker "Captain Marvel" in favor of the flashier Shazam. And we saw in Young Justice the Big Red Cheese make cameo appearances. In the collecting world last year, we saw a 9.0 copy of Whiz #1 sell on Comic Connect for $281K.

Having said that, Shazam #1 (1973) is not a first appearance, and it had a huge print run because DC (back then) was investing a lot in relaunching the character -- and indeed followed up with the Saturday morning kids TV show. I shudder to think how many raw 9.8s are out there (not to mention 9.6s). From that perspective, $2,500 is over the top.

One of two things happened here. Either (i) a newbie collector with cash to spread thought he was getting a must have book or (ii) incorrect data was provided to GPA.

PS -- thanks for starting this thread! Would have otherwise totally missed this.

Check out some of the marketing "puffing" on the item description:

"My fellow ebayers---What can I say !!!!

This is the highest graded copy on eBay at this time

It took me five years to get this copy !!!!

This book will continue to rise in value each year !!"

None of it is false, but cleverly qualified, e.g., highest graded copy "on EBay" "at this time," and it took the seller half a decade to land a 9.8.

Ebay item #190725413781 - best offer, $2500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190725413781

I'm sorry, but I'm only seeing that it was listed with a buy it now price of $2800 and that a best offer price was accepted. Where does it indicate a $2500 sale was consummated?

Exactly - the accepted BO could have been $300 for all we know.

I shudder to think how many raw 9.8s are out there (not to mention 9.6s). .

MyComicShop has a cgc census on it's site so when you search for a book you can see how many of each there are (CGC Census tab) i don't think it's greatly up to date but you get a pretty good idea

41 blue label 9.8's

127 - 9.6

127 - 9.4

53 - 9.2

#rare

I shudder to think how many raw 9.8s are out there (not to mention 9.6s). .

MyComicShop has a cgc census on it's site so when you search for a book you can see how many of each there are (CGC Census tab) i don't think it's greatly up to date but you get a pretty good idea

41 blue label 9.8's

127 - 9.6

127 - 9.4

53 - 9.2

#rare

41 graded 9.8s and 127 graded 9.6s of a book that is not high on any bronze age collectors' list. Nice book to have, don't get me wrong, but not one for investment purposes, meaning many, many more 9.8s and 9.6s are out there in raw state waiting for slabbage.

There are entire longboxes of that book everywhere. Johnny G on the Boards used to sell 9.6-9.8 quality copies for $20 or $30 every couple months. I bet he had over 100 copies at one time. My 9.6 signed by Jackson Bostwick came from him.

The character is making a comeback, and it's because DC is committed to giving the character the attention it deserves. The Johns/Frank back-up on JLA is absolutely top-notch, old-school-type quality. DC has officially dumped the pre-WWII moniker "Captain Marvel" in favor of the flashier Shazam. And we saw in Young Justice the Big Red Cheese make cameo appearances. In the collecting world last year, we saw a 9.0 copy of Whiz #1 sell on Comic Connect for $281K.

Having said that, Shazam #1 (1973) is not a first appearance, and it had a huge print run because DC (back then) was investing a lot in relaunching the character -- and indeed followed up with the Saturday morning kids TV show. I shudder to think how many raw 9.8s are out there (not to mention 9.6s). From that perspective, $2,500 is over the top.

One of two things happened here. Either (i) a newbie collector with cash to spread thought he was getting a must have book or (ii) incorrect data was provided to GPA.

PS -- thanks for starting this thread! Would have otherwise totally missed this.

Could be a sham or shill sale, but the FVF would be painful on that one!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm only seeing that it was listed with a buy it now price of $2800 and that a best offer price was accepted. Where does it indicate a $2500 sale was consummated?

In the eBay trading data feed. You can also see the final offer on ebay CA.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190725413781

Exactly - the accepted BO could have been $300 for all we know.

Nope