• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on Collecting Romance Comic Books

313 posts in this topic

I'm guessing given the predominance of males in the collecting community, that more guys buy vintage romance comics than women, which is amusing as I doubt very many of us had the slightest interest in the genre as adolescents, so so much for the theory that comic collecting is all about recapturing one's youth.

I'm guessing given the predominance of males in the collecting community, that more guys buy vintage romance comics than women, which is amusing as I doubt very many of us had the slightest interest in the genre as adolescents, so so much for the theory that comic collecting is all about recapturing one's youth.

Absolutely true! I must have read every other type of comic there was, from super hero to Archie to Dells to Harvey humor, but I doubt I even knew the names of the romance books. I can't remember ever seeing girls (or anyone else) buying them.

Absolutely true! I must have read every other type of comic there was, from super hero to Archie to Dells to Harvey humor, but I doubt I even knew the names of the romance books. I can't remember ever seeing girls (or anyone else) buying them.

Almost everything I've bought in the last 15 years was from before I was born and that I hadn't seen until I was an adult comic collector.

Romance comics were the only kind my wife ever looked at. Her cousin had a big stack of them which she read while visiting.

5560149342_220a4e2012_z.jpg

Love the colors on this cover :)

Scan-130813-0004_zps3fa53176.jpg

Sweet! :applause:

They went in for painted covers when Ziff-Davis published that title as well.

RomanticMarriage8.jpg

Almost everything I've bought in the last 15 years was from before I was born and that I hadn't seen until I was an adult comic collector.

Even as a kid/teen during the early bronze age, I was more fascinated with comics that were published before I was born or too young to have been aware of them than I was in what was being published at the time, though I still bought stuff new every week. In those years my main interests was mostly in early Marvels and GA superhero with EC sci-fi and horror thrown in for good measure. When I got back into collecting old comics again twenty some years ago, my interests were much broader, and GA superhero books just a small part of what I looked to buy. Lately I sell more than I buy, and my collection of 40s and 50s books is pretty small, but I still enjoy seeing other peoples books on these threads, and get a bigger kick out of seeing books I never noticed or had never seen before, than books I've seen a million times.

Very possible. Two comments from my experience.

One, my sales to Katy Keene collectors are pretty much split evenly between the sexes. But the women definitely evince more sticker shock than the male collectors do. Katy is not a romance book, per se, but it's as girl oriented as you can get.

Two, I have very few romance comics but possibly every mail order sale of them has been to men. And I think every convention sale has been to women. I think this says something about how both sexes collect.

Two, I have very few romance comics but possibly every mail order sale of them has been to men. And I think every convention sale has been to women. I think this says something about how both sexes collect.
I don't purchase romance comics. I'm given them by female admirers. :whistle:

Even as a kid/teen during the early bronze age, I was more fascinated with comics that were published before I was born or too young to have been aware of them than I was in what was being published at the time, though I still bought stuff new every week. In those years my main interests was mostly in early Marvels and GA superhero with EC sci-fi and horror thrown in for good measure. When I got back into collecting old comics again twenty some years ago, my interests were much broader, and GA superhero books just a small part of what I looked to buy. Lately I sell more than I buy, and my collection of 40s and 50s books is pretty small, but I still enjoy seeing other peoples books on these threads, and get a bigger kick out of seeing books I never noticed or had never seen before, than books I've seen a million times.

I was interested in older comics because of GA/SA reprints I read & enjoyed as a kid. Unfortunately, there was very little in the way actual history books in print about comics or I might have earlier become interested in collecting sooner than I did.

I don't purchase romance comics. I'm given them by female admirers. :whistle:

lol

I was interested in older comics because of GA/SA reprints I read & enjoyed as a kid. Unfortunately, there was very little in the way actual history books in print about comics or I might have earlier become interested in collecting sooner than I did.

Getting Les Daniel's Comix: A History of Comic Books in America, and the first Steranko History of Comics book were a huge influence on me when I was around 12. I also loved reading about WW2 at the time as well, so an interest in GA comics from that era was a natural fit.

Lately I sell more than I buy, and my collection of 40s and 50s books is pretty small, but I still enjoy seeing other peoples books on these threads, and get a bigger kick out of seeing books I never noticed or had never seen before, than books I've seen a million times.

I'm a collector of early Silver Age Marvel and after seeing the same superhero covers over and over and over, I enjoy picking up Marvel's teen comics from the period. I have become a huge fan of Al Hartley's work. He was a great story teller and skilled in composition. A couple of fun examples below: :grin:

PW102FAug62.jpg

PW108FAug63.jpg

Lately I sell more than I buy, and my collection of 40s and 50s books is pretty small, but I still enjoy seeing other peoples books on these threads, and get a bigger kick out of seeing books I never noticed or had never seen before, than books I've seen a million times.

I'm a collector of early Silver Age Marvel and after seeing the same superhero covers over and over and over, I enjoy picking up Marvel's teen comics from the period. I have become a huge fan of Al Hartley's work. He was a great story teller and skilled in composition. A couple of fun examples below: :grin:

PW108FAug63.jpg

"When a Doll Needs a Date!" Classic. :D

I have become a huge fan of Al Hartley's work. He was a great story teller and skilled in composition.

This!

Atomic Hartley.

Lovers54fc100_zps7e270d44.jpg

LoveRomances35fc100_zps323188ee.jpg

Love me some lady in red very nice Dr Love