• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PedigreeComics.com Consignment Drive...

27 posts in this topic

I have to head to work now but lets get this rolling and see what we can do.

Obviously, we should not disclose >which< books we are consigning

I'll start off with a pledge of a minimum of (20) CGC books by this weekend.

Total to date: (20)

carry on thumbsup2.gif

Bruce....

Do you consider this CL action as such a threat to Pedigree and comic consignment sites in general that people should favor one against the other like this?

Frankly, I think CL has done enough damage to their rep by the simple fact of threatening legal action. Terrible move on their part.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm asking from ignorance here and probably don't understand the severity of the problem. confused-smiley-013.gif

It seems as if there's a hint of any kind of "problem" around here lately, someone wants to start a "drive"....

Jim

Jim,

I'm heading out the door and will comment more later.

Essentially, I'm personally supporting Doug / PedigreeComics.com because I want his site to survive for several reasons. One, being MY own ability to consign with a consignment-focussed site that I feel can reach the masses effectively and deliver a great result. I don't have that option anywhere else.

There are more reasons that I pretty much expressed in another thread I know you saw. Another is, I'd like to see Doug succeed because I consider him to be among the friendliest, most informative and honost collectors in the hobby.

I really think there is more than enough business to go around. ComicLink and PedigreeComics can both survive and do well IMHO so there's no good reason to see one hindered from doing so for the reasons I understand to be at issue. Afterall, Heritage, the Vault, Mastro, and many other consignment companies seem to be thriving.

I certainly have nothing against ComicLink customers and supporters doing what they feel is in their best interests. However, now that legal action and an advertising campaign have been initiated against Doug, I'm offering him my support.

What on earth would make anyone think the pedigree site was going to " reach the masses"? It seems designed specifically for the very top end collector content with pretty much only the most minutely better graded comic in a cgc slab. I put in a few good bids on his site and didn't get any sort of response like you do onCLInk so to me it is a place to look at pretty covers and I don't imagine doing any or much business there. I do a lot of business with Josh and steve and bob and i think competition is good but how much help does someone like this need? If Donald Trump was in a little difficulty would you be passing the collection plate for him too?

Just found it myself and was unaware until now - it is the intellectual property rights thread herein. Having read some of it, I respectfully withdraw most of my above comments. Am surprised Josh would take this position - it seems very foolish and likely to alienate him from a lot of the potential market. I don't think his claims have much real basis if what BB is saying is accurate.

Am surprised Josh would take this position - it seems very foolish and likely to alienate him from a lot of the potential market. I don't think his claims have much real basis if what BB is saying is accurate.

There is absolutely no way he will win a lawsuit on IP grounds if he does go through with it and Schmell and/or his lawyer does enough research into other web sites to find ones which have used the ComicLink selling mechanisms prior to Josh. ComicLink may have been the first company in the comics industry to do exactly what he's doing, but I can't begin to imagine that he's the first to sell products in the way that he is across ALL industries, particularly since most elements of his site were just implemented within the last year. I've put a bit of thought into an Internet consignment business since I originally saw Rob Roter's PCE web site, and I've studied patent law as it relates to software development on an amateur basis over the last decade, and this just isn't making sense to me from an IP standpoint.

Namisgr's idea that some trade secret was breached is the only angle which makes any sense to me so far. The PR angle of taking out the ad on this just seems entirely negative to Josh's image. If that ad was meant to warn the Metropolises, HighGradeComics, ArchAngels, and other future competitors out there that if they want to get into the Internet consignment business, they're going to have to go through Josh's lawyer and bankroll to do it, I suspect that he's underestimated what effect this will actually have on them...he almost seems to be declaring war! confused.gif I predict that if he doesn't actually sue Schmell and win, this will make people more motivated than ever to compete with him. And to his customers who still primarily view comics as a hobby and not a business, this approach doesn't build good will from any perspective I can imagine. frown.gif

I just can't see an upside to this for ComicLink. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out! confused-smiley-013.gif

ok, found the thread. 893whatthe.gif

Using advertising if there is a pending lawsuit could elicit sympathy support for the opposing side. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree with the other posts in general--now that there is legit competition, it's a case of (as redhook indicated) adapt or die. By the time my site shows up, it be third or fourth generation. Bottom line: this will only benefit consumers, that's for sure.

Does anyone have a copy of the ad they could scan and present here?