• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why all the Image love right now?

60 posts in this topic

I think the love for Image is well deserved at the present time.

You have an alternative publisher with great stories, terrific art and the lack of interference from the "suits". If you have a great product, people will come. Of course, there is lots of incredible product that never finds an audience, but if you're batting .800, you will get noticed. I think Image is doing this very thing.

Being able to give artist/creators artistic freedom is something that brings out the best in creative people. Unlike Marvel and DC who have corporate figures like Batman, Superman, X-Men and Spider-man that need to be "protected."

I think this is very similar to other types of media and entertainment. Letting film makers take control and allow them to do what they do, you get films like "Pulp Fiction" and TV shows like "Walking Dead" and "Breaking Bad".....Which none of them would have gotten made at mainstream studios.

No doubt this is an exciting time for new talent and a wonderful to be a comic book reader.

Poor Massive...

Bad name for book and terrible name for a ship

I am waiting for the inevitable triple crossover event

Massive Sex Saga!!!

I think my generation does not care about nostalgia. I pretended I was a Ghostbuster when I was a kid and I had a few G.I. Joe toys, but I have no desire to go and read anything about those characters.

The New 52 is not new. Everyone still talks about oh Carrie Kelly is not in the New 52 yet. Tim Drake was never Robin in this world. Isn't this suppose to be new?

I came into reading comic books at The Walking Dead #100. Image gives me an opportunity to read stories from start to finish and understand what is happening. No crossovers (except Dark Horse if you count the DHP which I only bought for Mind MGMT). This doesn't mean that I am not reading titles from Dark Horse, Oni Press, and a few others, but Image is just doing a good job right now. Image attracts people who are in the mall comic book store and aren't comic book readers to become comic book readers. Just like it did to me.

Image gives me an opportunity to read stories from start to finish and understand what is happening.

Valiant offers the same "start to finish" opportunity... with a true shared universe... very exciting to have something that happens in one book matter in another book.

But this is the Image love thread, so I'll get back on topic...

Invincible has been a ton of fun. (thumbs u

It seems to be independents in general getting a lot of attention, of course some of this hype will be coming from speculators looking for their next big score.

But there seems to be a lot of good stuff being produced and it's rightly being rewarded with nice sales figures. I also think there's just a growing base of comic readers who are not into the whole superhero in capes thing.

I think the growth of publishers like Image to push the powerhouses of Marvel and DC is a great thing for the industry, healthy competition helps innovate and motivate to produce quality.

Question:

Are Marvel and DC offering any title that - in your opinion - is meant to compete directly with the look, feel, story, etc., of an Image title.

If so, what is it and why do you think it qualifies in this category?

(this is just a conversation piece since we are talking about things in this theme).

titles currently being read

EOW

TWD

invincible

lock&key

Great Pacific

------------

5 ghosts

xoman war

starwars

green lantern

SSpiderman

age of utron

all new x-men

ultimate spider-man

If image is getting a lot of love its cause they have earned it :)

Question:

Are Marvel and DC offering any title that - in your opinion - is meant to compete directly with the look, feel, story, etc., of an Image title.

(this is just a conversation piece since we are talking about things in this theme).

Kick- 3 is all I can think of.

And if we count Vertigo as DC, then The Wake (maybe?). American Vampire is too deep in to be talked about with Image #1, but with pop culture going zombies to vampires to zombies it has to back to vampires.

Eh image is ok, they get a lot of love on these boards because they have a new title every month. So the 1st page in the modern section is always full of threads about those titles.

I think image has 6 books right now I read each month

Saga

Nowhere men

Walking dead

Black acre

Thief of thieves

Revival

Dark Horse has 2, Marvel and DC both have around 30-50 titles a month that are on my pull list. The thing is none of those are going to be worth cash for the speculators. So there is no real need to hype them up. You'll notice that 90% of the "new" image books each month mainly have the same 3-4 people posting in them. All talking about how great the book is or will be. Then of course they are always the 1st people out to sell you an issue if you "need" it.

Question:

(tsk)

How dare you stay on topic !

Seriously, if we are including Veritgo, then I think "FABLES" is a perfect Image-esque book. It has an adult spin on classic fairy tales. It's clever with twists and turns, great chemistry between Snow White and Big Bad Wolf in particular and the art fits it perfectly.

Sure it might have lost some of it's initial edginess due to the length of time it's been around, but I love the series myself.

You'll notice that 90% of the "new" image books each month mainly have the same 3-4 people posting in them. All talking about how great the book is or will be. Then of course they are always the 1st people out to sell you an issue if you "need" it.

Great observation!

You'll know a comic is ACTUALLY good when you ask someone if they have a spare for sale and they say, "NO! Get your own." lol

Question:

I think an argument could be made, that Daredevil from Marvel was an attempt to emulate a more "indy" style book. That is too say, it moved the shared universe to the background, and focused on story telling and character development.

It doesnt have zombies, swearing, etc, but it is an attempt to tell a character driven story, not dominated by the shared universe (though still benefiting from it).

Because of the critical success of that book, I think almost all of their solo books now follow or are attempting to follow that pattern.

Hawkeye is the obvious next in line to lead this charge.

But also in this vein I would consider:

Gambit,

Ms Mavel,

(both started at the same time as hawkeye basically)

I am behind on reading some of the other well received books (though i have been pulling them all along). But I would wager these also fall in this category. It's not really a new movement though, as I feel like Extremis, Brubaker's Captain America, etc also fall in this vein. There a focus was more on telling a new angle on a known character, but shared this sort of "backgrounding" of the shared universe and emphasis on character development. The "indie" style as it were.

As for DC, I dont know, but then i'm a DC-hater, so its probably best i not have anything to say on them :)

Whatever happened with Marvel's Icon line? Did they just give up? I don't understand how Marvel (or DC for that matter) can't figure out a way to take some shots on more "indy" books and set up a similar kind of benefit to what Image is doing in terms of creators content rights. Even if it was just some kind of shared profits system on the intellectual property with it reverting back to the creators ownership if it stayed out of print for too long.

Whatever happened with Marvel's Icon line? Did they just give up? I don't understand how Marvel (or DC for that matter) can't figure out a way to take some shots on more "indy" books and set up a similar kind of benefit to what Image is doing in terms of creators content rights. Even if it was just some kind of shared profits system on the intellectual property with it reverting back to the creators ownership if it stayed out of print for too long.

Icon MillarWorld

Lest anyone think that I am bashing Image, let it be known that i love alot of their books, and the creator owned idea is one that i hope never dies out.

Someone hit the nail on the head with what bothers me and it is a combination of two things really:

1. Image does seem to have a new #1 of something or other every month. This isnt necessarily a bad thing, it just shows that alot of new stuff is being presented.

2. The speculator. This is a deceased equine that i wont flog anymore, but i guess it is just finally startin to bug me. I have played the part of the reader/speculator and i still do to some degree although over the last year I have been drifting into decidedly more "I will collect what i like, everything else be damned"

Why the image love? Around here I guess most is due to speculation (re: New book X is the best book of the moment :facepalm:) as others have said but Image do output a lot of good books consistently and there's a lot of variety in genres compared to the big two, so if you want something different from the superhero stories, you have loads of choices.

As a reader coming back into the hobby, the fact you can just buy one book to get a complete story and they don't do lots of crossovers or have multiple books of the same core character is part of the attraction. That's due to how Image is setup with creator ownership and how well they actually advertise their current and forthcoming releases.

Price is a factor too, I'm about to severely drop most of the $3.99 titles from Marvel, DC and Valiant and switch to trades. I believe the majority of Image books are $2.99, the ones I read monthly are anyway beside PP.