• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why all the Image love right now?

60 posts in this topic

DC is good for a few titles like Batman, Swamp Thing, Talon.

Marvel I have tried titles I thought I could jump in on at the first issue, Gambit being one of them but it really didn't do anything for me so I cancelled it. I think I will also be cancelling Morbius as its not really that good either. Marvel offer nothing but their own superhero titles and that is where Image comes in.

Image offer a lot of varied titles, a lot of them are well written and cross many genres.

IDW is good for certain titles but they also put out a lot of drek and want you to pay $4 an issue for it. I have cancelled more IDW books then I have Image.

Dark Horse has a few nice titles and I think Dynamite are overlooked for the relaunch of a lot of the pulp heroes.

I've been enjoying the recent Valliant efforts as well.

Another thread here, along with a discussion we were having at the shop today, prompts this thread.

Why is everyone so fascinated with anything put out by Image comics right now?

Granted, they have a few books that a really good (sage, WD, Invincible, etc...), but they have put out some real turds as well, but it doesnt seem to matter as everyone just seems to gush over whatever the latest Image #1 is.

There are other publishers out there putting out some excellent material right now that i feel is getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop due to the love for all things Image.

IDW is doing good things right now with the GI Joe and Transformers titles and the new Ghostbusters is actually a really great read.

Terry Moore is putting out two amazing books in Rachel Rising and Echo.

Valiant is pire gold right now as i don't think they have a bad title in print at this time.

Dark Horse is rocking it with things like Mind MGMT, Star Wars and the Black Beetle.

Just hate to see other top notch titles get bumped for shelf space because of the new OMG GOTTA HAVE IT IMAGE #1 that is out this week.

Ok.....off the soapbox now

who still read these "GI Joe and Transformers titles and the new Ghostbusters", I thought we all grow out them.

Question:

Are Marvel and DC offering any title that - in your opinion - is meant to compete directly with the look, feel, story, etc., of an Image title.

If so, what is it and why do you think it qualifies in this category?

(this is just a conversation piece since we are talking about things in this theme).

The Vertigo Crime imprint, but it's mostly graphic novels.

Is it really so far fetched to believe that it could happen without something from Image, Marvel or DC?

I think it almost can't happen within those publishers. Marvel and DC haven't been putting out anything legitimately "new" in a long time. Very few new character introductions, and when there are they just join the same old teams. Because pretty much every speculator is buying ten copies of every new Image title "just in case" there will always be plenty of supply when a comic catches on. I think the next big thing is coming either from Dark Horse or will be the result of a self publishing effort. Possibly something on Kickstarter.

I was 99% collector for many years. Now i'm avidly reading all sorts of stuff. Not necessarily all Image but all the heat they are receiving is justified to me.

sixth gun, northlanders, peter panzer, morning glories, manhattan projects, revival, walking dead

and I still haven't even gotten to saga, nowhere men, five ghosts, mind mgmt...

I cant imagine spidey and wolverine are up to anything as interesting as these books.

Question:

Are Marvel and DC offering any title that - in your opinion - is meant to compete directly with the look, feel, story, etc., of an Image title.

If so, what is it and why do you think it qualifies in this category?

(this is just a conversation piece since we are talking about things in this theme).

I actually like Superior Spider-Man,was well prepared to hate it.

very exciting to have something that happens in one book matter in another book.

That's actually a dealbreaker for me. I won't read comics like that. Dropped TMNT and never looked back for it.

lol

Stay away from Valiant, then. EVERYTHING actually matters. :cloud9:

Another thread here, along with a discussion we were having at the shop today, prompts this thread.

Granted, they have a few books that a really good (sage, WD, Invincible, etc...), but they have put out some real turds as well, but it doesnt seem to matter as everyone just seems to gush over whatever the latest Image #1 is.

There are other publishers out there putting out some excellent material right now that i feel is getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop due to the love for all things Image.

IDW is doing good things right now with the GI Joe and Transformers titles and the new Ghostbusters is actually a really great read.

Valiant is pire gold right now as i don't think they have a bad title in print at this time.

Dark Horse is rocking it with things like Mind MGMT, Star Wars and the Black Beetle.

Just hate to see other top notch titles get bumped for shelf space because of the new OMG GOTTA HAVE IT IMAGE #1 that is out this week.

who still read these "GI Joe and Transformers titles and the new Ghostbusters", I thought we all grow out them.

I do still collection toys & statues & such as well go figure ... mainly just tf for the most part but i read ghost busters

Brubaker is probably my favourite writer. I read Fatale #1 and thought it was just okay so I shelved it. Was buying to many monthly's at the time.

I did pick up the TPB though and have been meaning to read it.

I think my generation does not care about nostalgia. I pretended I was a Ghostbuster when I was a kid and I had a few G.I. Joe toys, but I have no desire to go and read anything about those characters.

Ghostbusters and G.I. Joe toys aren’t reading material. Seeing if nostalglia is a positive element is related to reading.

I think Image will continue to have success as long as they don't get greedy on publishing variants. Notice many of the books that are garnering attention have few if any variants. Also, continuing series are getting the attention/love over mini-series.

It feels to me like people are looking for comics that are:

1. Fun to read

2. More challenging than superheroes punching each other in the face (or the reverse, standing around talking)

3. Ongoing

4. Not going to break the bank on variants

5. Self contained

Right now, Image is filling that sweet spot for many comic readers.

Rachel Rising is getting some love right now and it would fit right in with what makes a successful Image title.