• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl 19 with a bit of a surprise

173 posts in this topic

WaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitWAIT!!!

Barbara Gordon can walk again?

-slym

Apparently.

nu52 is supposed to be younger, earlier in their careers. Yet they're referencing Killing Joke.

Maybe Joker shot her when she was 12 in the nu52. (shrug)

'Forced scenarios'?

Somebody is writing this, therefore everything is 'forced'.

Maybe "artificial" or "strained" would've been a better choice of words than "forced".

Could be the two pages accompanying the article. Barbara Gordon is all blah blah Joker-shot-me, paralysis, her brother, some cat...

Response: "I'm transgender, Barbara."

Seemed... forced. (shrug)

Totally forced imho. A big strrrrrrrrrrrrrretch to garnish some press, some sales, some being we are edgy pioneering writers over here.

As for "accurately portraying the make-up of of our general population"............According to the Williams Institute of the UCLA School of Law, in America - April 2011 there were around 0.3% Americans were transgender.

So is percent of a percent enough to justify a decent sample our general population? Not imho, but doesn't matter.

I find it also interesting that DC premiered this in a "T" comic.

According to DC: "T TEEN Appropriate for readers age 12 and older. May contain mild violence, language and/or suggestive themes."

Is this really a needed topic/theme for this age group? Maybe it is. I just would think T+ would have been a more viable option.

Maybe next is Batman handing out ribbons to all the bad guys for just showing up and giving it their best. And a special colored ribbon for the Joker, since he ends up in last place and we mustn't exclude him or hurt his feelings. That would not be very nice if we didn't.

'Forced scenarios'?

Maybe "artificial" or "strained" would've been a better choice of words than "forced".

Could be the two pages accompanying the article. Barbara Gordon is all blah blah Joker-shot-me, paralysis, her brother, some cat...

Totally forced imho. A big strrrrrrrrrrrrrretch to garnish some press, some sales, some being we are edgy pioneering writers over here.

As for "accurately portraying the make-up of of our general population"............According to the Williams Institute of the UCLA School of Law, in America - April 2011 there were around 0.3% Americans were transgender.

So is percent of a percent enough to justify a decent sample our general population? Not imho, but doesn't matter.

According to DC: "T TEEN Appropriate for readers age 12 and older. May contain mild violence, language and/or suggestive themes."

Is this really a needed topic/theme for this age group? Maybe it is. I just would think T+ would have been a more viable option.

Maybe next is Batman handing out ribbons to all the bad guys for just showing up and giving it their best. And a special colored ribbon for the Joker, since he ends up in last place and we mustn't exclude him or hurt his feelings. That would not be very nice if we didn't.

Dang, that is one well made point! (thumbs u

'Forced scenarios'?

So I did the math. As of five seconds ago, there were 315,658,423 people in the United States.. 0.3% of that number is 946,975 - so almost a million people in the United States clasifiy themselves as "transgender". That's more than the population of San Jose, California, just as a barometer.

Estimated sales of Batgirl 18 were 51,677 copies.

If 1% of the transgender population in the United States - one percent! - picks up a copy of Batgirl 19, that's a 20% increase in sales of the book.

Why wouldn't they try it? Its Batgirl. If it doesn't work, it will get put back in a box and forgotten about.

'Forced scenarios'?

So I did the math. As of five seconds ago, there were 315,658,423 people in the United States.. 0.3% of that number is 946,975 - so almost a million people in the United States clasifiy themselves as "transgender". That's more than the population of San Jose, California, just as a barometer.

If 1% of the transgender population in the United States - one percent! - picks up a copy of Batgirl 19, that's a 20% increase in sales of the book.

Why wouldn't they try it? Its Batgirl. If it doesn't work, it will get put back in a box and forgotten about.

Well done, good point.

Perhaps 99% arent comic readers/buyers and than we will await your 1% to boost sales theory and see if it is enough for the powers that be to tip their hats.

Or should have "Batgirl jumping the shark" really have won the vote by show of hands in their coffee room?

I just feel it was a peculiar marketing strategy, that was very poorly executed and by doing such - they will not get the return (in many aspects of the word) they originally thunk.

(shrug) who cares... they make the money... or not... didn't much like this book anyways~

I agree on the "who cares".

But the three issues that were over "Death of the Family" were some of the strongest I've read from DC in the past year.

I've worked with two transgendered male-to-female women, and I live in the fairly-conservative Southern state of Virginia. One I knew used to be a man within about 0.3 seconds of seeing her. I'm vaguely fascinated by the men who choose to do it who were born with fairly feminine (i.e. small) frames to begin with, but if you were born 6' and 180 pounds like this guy was, you're only ever going to look like a REALLY ugly girl. :eek: Not because of the height, but the density of your bones--it was the width of the legs, wrists, and ankles that immediately screamed "WTF?" to me when I saw my transgendered co-worker for the first time. You'd have to be built like a D.J. Qualls (pic below) at only around 120 pounds to be 6' and pull off a convincing transgender transition...it'd be tough to tell Qualls used to be a man if he switched genders. :blush:

DJ%20Qualls-AES-084010.jpg

I've worked with two transgendered male-to-female women, and I live in the fairly-conservative Southern state of Virginia. One I knew used to be a man within about 0.3 seconds of seeing her. I'm vaguely fascinated by the men who choose to do it who were born with fairly feminine (i.e. small) frames to begin with, but if you were born 6' and 180 pounds like this guy was, you're only ever going to look like a REALLY ugly girl. :eek: Not because of the height, but the density of your bones--it was the width of the legs, wrists, and ankles that immediately screamed "WTF?" to me when I saw my transgendered co-worker for the first time. You'd have to be built like a D.J. Qualls (pic below) at only around 120 pounds to be 6' and pull off a convincing transgender transition...it'd be tough to tell Qualls used to be a man if he switched genders. :blush:

DJ%20Qualls-AES-084010.jpg

Sifting through the physical analysis, long story short - you got a crush?

:baiting:

136838.jpg.bdee3bc28a15e18415b74c065dce9cfe.jpg

So far, the only thing in this thread that came as a "bit of a surprise" to me is this statistic...

I mean...Batgirl? Even if a large percentage of those copies go un-sold and end up in 50-cent boxes, that's still A LOT more than I would have guessed...