• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl 19 with a bit of a surprise

173 posts in this topic

They are simply utilizing the time honored technique of exploitation to seduce white males that have a perversion for voyeurism into buying their pulp.

If those two pages had been written to excite perverts they might have been entertaining.

Seinfeld had a good 2 or 3 more years left in it...missing your point entirely of course.

You think they could've kept up that quality for 50 years?

Name something that has.

Month after month, year after year for 50 years.

Or 40.

Or 30.

Try 20.

They'd either repeat ideas or find something else to add to it.

Odds are what they would add would be topical.

If that didn't work, topical and controversial.

. . . Dammit PointFive, this doesn't fit the narrative some people are trying to establish! It's all just a ruse, didn't you know? Truly there can't be any honest rationale to create this type of background for the character!

You can't separate sexual politics from the author's lexicon of 'LGBTQ'.

QED!

They are simply utilizing the time honored technique of exploitation to seduce white males that have a perversion for voyeurism into buying their pulp.

If those two pages had been written to excite perverts they might have been entertaining.

Can't speak for the pages you are referring too. I'm making a generalization of the title in its entirety.

If I was reading a novel and a character in it revealed themselves to be transgendered, I wouldn't think anything of it except for how it might fit within the context of the story.

Why limit yourself in comics to the type of stories you can tell and characters you can use? Mainstream Comics are limited enough as it is.

Really, other than an obsessive collecting habit, I just can't imagine still reading Amazing Spider-man now at my age. I read it for 20 years. 20 years after I can't possibly believe they've done anything really worth my time to go back and read. It's limited in what stories it's going to tell. There's only so much that can be done.

That's why death became a big thing comics. Where else can you go?

Alternative Universe stories. Elseworlds. Where else can you go?

Unknown offspring of characters, and rediscovered clones. Where else can you go?

What is it people want? We have this corporate PROPERTY that we can't change, what can we do to make it seem exciting?

If Seinfeld never ended and was still putting out 22 episodes a year and none of the characters had changed would it still be worth watching?

You can't sustain that level of creativity by churning it out month after month, year after year.

Comics are just searching for something, anything to be relevant. To tell stories they haven't told before.

Even if they were still doing the same stories they were doing in the 70's, most of us wouldn't be reading them now anyway.

Exactly. (thumbs u

I love the characters I grew up with. I like occasionally picking up statues or art or video games or other merchandise related to those characters because of the nostalgia associated with them, but I can't imagine picking up ASM or Batman every month to read. I have no interest, not because I don't love the characters, but because there are only so many ways these stories can be told.

It's ironic: adults lament the passing of "good stories" in their Marvel and DC books, but it's their stubborn refusal to let go, and acknowledge that these books are no longer for them that necessitate pushing the envelope, because these companies are marketing to them.

Seinfeld had a good 2 or 3 more years left in it...missing your point entirely of course.

Name something that has.

Or 40.

Or 30.

Try 20.

Gunsmoke did pretty well, nice transition from radio also.

. . . Dammit PointFive, this doesn't fit the narrative some people are trying to establish! It's all just a ruse, didn't you know? Truly there can't be any honest rationale to create this type of background for the character!

You can't separate sexual politics from the author's lexicon of 'LGBTQ'.

QED!

I know plenty of members of the LGBTQ community who have no interest in politics (sexual orientation, gender identification, marriage, gun control, international tarrifs, etc) ... and yet they are still either L, G, B, T or maybe even just Q at the moment...

so yeah I think you can separate politics from people, I didnt see anything political in the context of the two-three page story thats been posted showing the reveal.

Name something that has.

Or 40.

Or 30.

Try 20.

Gunsmoke did pretty well, nice transition from radio also.

There were some differences in the characters from the radio to TV show.

So that's one that hit the 20 year mark.

Nowhere near 50.

Can't speak for the pages you are referring too. I'm making a generalization of the title in its entirety.

So you've taken the time to respond in this thread 5 times giving opinons but havent taken the 2 minutes to actually read the pages in question?

Let me make it easier...

(and I'll be good and put it in a spoiler in case anyone doesnt want to see it till they read it)

OhejHHS.jpg

5fzoMGC.jpg

and in case you missed it

AafCrHw.png

Candid Camera ran for 55 years, lots of new material for that one...worked well on radio also.

I think Chucks point was that comic books by their longevity cannot stay static. The world around them isn't static, and they at least in part act as a reflection on that world. so a universe like DCs that has been around since the 30s could certainly benefit from exploring a range of topics.

If I was reading a novel and a character in it revealed themselves to be transgendered, I wouldn't think anything of it except for how it might fit within the context of the story.

Why limit yourself in comics to the type of stories you can tell and characters you can use? Mainstream Comics are limited enough as it is.

Really, other than an obsessive collecting habit, I just can't imagine still reading Amazing Spider-man now at my age. I read it for 20 years. 20 years after I can't possibly believe they've done anything really worth my time to go back and read. It's limited in what stories it's going to tell. There's only so much that can be done.

That's why death became a big thing comics. Where else can you go?

Alternative Universe stories. Elseworlds. Where else can you go?

Unknown offspring of characters, and rediscovered clones. Where else can you go?

What is it people want? We have this corporate PROPERTY that we can't change, what can we do to make it seem exciting?

If Seinfeld never ended and was still putting out 22 episodes a year and none of the characters had changed would it still be worth watching?

You can't sustain that level of creativity by churning it out month after month, year after year.

Comics are just searching for something, anything to be relevant. To tell stories they haven't told before.

Even if they were still doing the same stories they were doing in the 70's, most of us wouldn't be reading them now anyway.

Exactly. (thumbs u

I love the characters I grew up with. I like occasionally picking up statues or art or video games or other merchandise related to those characters because of the nostalgia associated with them, but I can't imagine picking up ASM or Batman every month to read. I have no interest, not because I don't love the characters, but because there are only so many ways these stories can be told.

It's ironic: adults lament the passing of "good stories" in their Marvel and DC books, but it's their stubborn refusal to let go, and acknowledge that these books are no longer for them that necessitate pushing the envelope, because these companies are marketing to them.

+1

Candid Camera ran for 55 years, lots of new material for that one...worked well on radio also.

I think Chucks point was that comic books by their longevity cannot stay static. The world around them isn't static, and they at least in part act as a reflection on that world. so a universe like DCs that has been around since the 30s could certainly benefit from exploring a range of topics.

I suppose....ok, I was just having fun finding long running tv shows that didn't jump the shark too often.

I won't buy anything that Simone writes. I don't need her left wing agenda shoved down my throat.

Same reason I don't watch Fox News.

but do you think that the inclusion of a character constitutes shoving an agenda down someones orifice?

I dont see in the couple of released pages anything about politics (re: your "left wing" comment).

uh oh..

JmDip2u.jpg

So you've taken the time to respond in this thread 5 times giving opinons but havent taken the 2 minutes to actually read the pages in question?

Let me make it easier...

(and I'll be good and put it in a spoiler in case anyone doesnt want to see it till they read it)

OhejHHS.jpg

5fzoMGC.jpg

and in case you missed it

AafCrHw.png

Thanks for the link (thumbs u

The sexual politics of the less than 1% has made it big time in popular culture. :whatev: