• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl 19 with a bit of a surprise

173 posts in this topic

I think threads are only on the path to doom once the meme's start to flow.

No apostrophe in the word "memes."

(tsk) :lol: ;)

-slym

What? Now memes can't use a possessive? Why can't memes own property?

What are you afraid of? :frustrated:

Whoever said I don't like them?

Shall I use this space to show off all the ones I used to block you from getting the last post in the now-poofed thread???

:devil:

-slym

Fixed.

Wasn't talking to you.

Big baby. :)

One of the best comic book stories I've read in the last decade was Greg Rucka's "Half a Life" (Gotham Central # 6-10).

It dealt with the public outing of Officer Montoya (whom I only knew from the Batman Animated Series cartoon) as a lesbian and the harrassment (and blackmail) she received as a result, both within and without the police dept.

It wasn't done for shock value and turned but instead made for a really good story.

Thanks for the recommend, that actually sounds pretty cool. I'll keep an eye out for it. (thumbs u

It sounds like some folks posting here have not read the interview with writer Gail Simone that Dan/Donut provided. Here are some excerpts:

GS: Well, yeah, I want to do this right, representation is important. No one wants stereotypes or tokens. We want believable characters we can care about, that we want to know more about. The nice thing is, with Alysia, she’s been in the book since issue one, readers already know her and care about her. They’ve been asking for more of her story, so I think they are already rooting for her. It makes me happy—I have met so many trans readers over the years. I hope they love Alysia as much as we do.

... But there’s a large LGBTQ readership in comics, the audience is hugely diverse. It’s wonderful. Our common language is nerdhood. I love that. We may come from different continents, but dammit, we can recite the Green Lantern Oath!

... Absolutely, I have been speaking with trans writers and bloggers and friends about this for quite some time, and they’ve been keeping it confidential, for which I’m eternally grateful. I can’t thank them enough for their generosity and kindness and insight, particularly blogger Natalie Reed, who is a hardcore comics fan and a wonderful writer, who gave endlessly of her time to help us get this right.

Dammit PointFive, this doesn't fit the narrative some people are trying to establish! It's all just a ruse, didn't you know? Truly there can't be any honest rationale to create this type of background for the character!

It's true, I am such a non-supporter of narratives. My wife's always going on about that. :(

One of the best comic book stories I've read in the last decade was Greg Rucka's "Half a Life" (Gotham Central # 6-10).

It dealt with the public outing of Officer Montoya (whom I only knew from the Batman Animated Series cartoon) as a lesbian and the harrassment (and blackmail) she received as a result, both within and without the police dept.

It wasn't done for shock value and turned but instead made for a really good story.

Thanks for the recommend, that actually sounds pretty cool. I'll keep an eye out for it. (thumbs u

That really does sound interesting. The DCAU introduced some great characters, Montoya being one of them, and I've read many times that Gotham Central was exceptionally well written.

Worth seeking out. Appreciate the recommendation. (thumbs u