• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the boards, I have a question!

22 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I just got back into comic collecting after a few years away from it.

I am trying to slowly buildup my collection, specially focusing on Daredevil, Iron Man and Avengers. I am not focusing yet on the quality of those comics, I am just trying to complete the collection for now, and as I progress, invest in better quality issues.

A question I have for you is, what would be the best way to learn about grading comics, and where can I find that information (where to buy books at good price, etc).

Another question I have is the following. I am on a fairly limited monthly budget for comics, but I own a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man white, as well as a copy of Astonishing X-Men #4. Those 2 are in really good shape, and I'd love to keep them, but I was wondering if I should send them to get graded, and try to sell them on EBay while the market is fairly hot, and use that money to try to buy older issues and try to buildup my collection.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Happy collecting!

what would be the best way to learn about grading comics, and where can I find that information (where to buy books at good price, etc).

Start by picking up the Overstreet Grading Guide. Invaluable. You can pick it up at any comic shop.

Also, if you can get past some of our 'in-fighting', this forum is the best place on the net to talk about comics/grading. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Someone will be able to answer you.

I am on a fairly limited monthly budget for comics, but I own a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man white, as well as a copy of Astonishing X-Men #4. Those 2 are in really good shape, and I'd love to keep them, but I was wondering if I should send them to get graded, and try to sell them on EBay while the market is fairly hot, and use that money to try to buy older issues and try to buildup my collection.

Don't bother slabbing the X-book. The USM-white is a book that, if you want to sell it, you should slab it. If it hits 9.6 or better, you can make some good money. Even raw, you could get a good price for it.

Welcome to the boards! smile.gif

what would be the best way to learn about grading comics, and where can I find that information (where to buy books at good price, etc).

Start by picking up the Overstreet Grading Guide. Invaluable. You can pick it up at any comic shop.

Also, if you can get past some of our 'in-fighting', this forum is the best place on the net to talk about comics/grading. Don't be afraid to ask any questions. Someone will be able to answer you.

I am on a fairly limited monthly budget for comics, but I own a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man white, as well as a copy of Astonishing X-Men #4. Those 2 are in really good shape, and I'd love to keep them, but I was wondering if I should send them to get graded, and try to sell them on EBay while the market is fairly hot, and use that money to try to buy older issues and try to buildup my collection.

Don't bother slabbing the X-book. The USM-white is a book that, if you want to sell it, you should slab it. If it hits 9.6 or better, you can make some good money. Even raw, you could get a good price for it.

Hi Alberto,

The first thing you should know about this place is that "Chrisco37" is actually a morbidly obese, schizophrenic, 83-year-old woman in Singapore who posts here simply because "The Good Lord Steve McQueen" tells her to.

Other than that, slab the USM white, keep the AXM 4, and good luck and happy hunting!

Hi Alberto, and welcome to the boards, from a fairly new newbie. I hope you find them as informative and entertaining as I have so far.

Purchase the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide as well as the Overstreet Grading Guide. Both can be ordered from your local comic shop, bookstore, or from Gemstone Publishing:

Gemstone Publishing Web site

There are other great publications that can help give you info about comics, new and old, and their "hotness". For example, Comics Buyers Guide is a great publication that covers comic topics and gives sales data. Wizard: The Guide to Comics also publishes articles of interest and some price-guide information. And of course, there are numerous web sites that sell comics. As you peruse these boards, you'll see that many of the board participants are comic dealers as well as collectors.

As far as what to buy and sell, that is up to you, and only after you've absorbed some info from the above-mentioned sources will you make that decision. We can make recommendations, but ultimately you've got to make the call. It all depends on what is most important to you: Ultimate Spider-Man or back issues of the titles you want to collect.

Welcome!!!

Hi Alberto,

The first thing you should know about this place is that "Chrisco37" is actually a morbidly obese, schizophrenic, 83-year-old woman in Singapore who posts here simply because "The Good Lord Steve McQueen" tells her to.

Other than that, slab the USM white, keep the AXM 4, and good luck and happy hunting!

Don't listen to her, Alberto. She is a liar and is insanely jealous of me. We were once good friends (and even college roommates, if you believe the legend), now we are bitter enemies (and teammates in the Grading Contest).

I love the fact that I never have to play corporate shill because everyone here is so quick to recommend the Grading Guide and Price Guide before me smile.gif. Not that I wouldn't agree even if I weren't involved with them, I just think it's a pleasant thing.

Arnold

Hi Alberto,

(Alberto, Major Khaos is a known trouble maker , best to turn and run away if you see him)

27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gif

Hi Alberto,

Don't listen to her, Alberto. She is a liar and is insanely jealous of me. We were once good friends (and even college roommates, if you believe the legend), now we are bitter enemies (and teammates in the Grading Contest).

'berto (may I call you "'berto"?),

Clearly, Mrs. Wong is off her meds again. Feel free to use the "Ignore This Boozer" function, as it will make your board surfing both more enjoyable and much, much safer.

She once told me that she was Hercules. She drew me close to her ear and said, "Would you like to know the SECRET of Hercules?"

I, near tears, told her that would be agreeable, and she drew me CLOSER STILL, and whispered: "A lightbulb."

Try not to think too hard about it; as down that road, madness awaits.

Hi Alberto,

'berto (may I call you "'berto"?),

Clearly, Mrs. Wong is off her meds again. Feel free to use the "Ignore This Boozer" function, as it will make your board surfing both more enjoyable and much, much safer.

She once told me that she was Hercules. She drew me close to her ear and said, "Would you like to know the SECRET of Hercules?"

I, near tears, told her that would be agreeable, and she drew me CLOSER STILL, and whispered: "A lightbulb."

Try not to think too hard about it; as down that road, madness awaits.

down the road madness awaits, truer word's have never been spoken, run , run now . 27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the welcome!

I know this is going to take some time.

When I mentioned Astonishing X-Men 4, I was referring to the variant edition, with Colossus' face on it. I saw it go on EBay for 25, so I thought that maybe if I can get a 9.8 for it, I might be able to sell it for some money.

I don't really worry about variants as much yet, I want to try to complete some runs and start focusing on silver and bronze age issues, so getting rid of USM white and Astonishing variant would not be that much of a concern, if that can get me a few hundred bucks to buy 20-30 books or more.

I'll get the Grading Guide next wednesday when I go pick up my new issues.

Thanks for the advice and help!

I've seen people post scanned images of their comics to try to get an estimated grade. Does that give enough detail for you guys to give a ballpark grade?

I've seen people post scanned images of their comics to try to get an estimated grade. Does that give enough detail for you guys to give a ballpark grade?

There are lots of people who would be happy to assist you that way. Some are actually very good at it (see "Team Beyonder" in the Grading Forum).

Try to make the scans as large as possible. The forum can give a pretty close estimate on what the grade is. Of course, we're far from perfect and have been off many times.

There are lots of people who would be happy to assist you that way. Some are actually very good at it (see "Team Beyonder" in the Grading Forum).

Try to make the scans as large as possible. The forum can give a pretty close estimate on what the grade is. Of course, we're far from perfect and have been off many times.

What he said....

BTW-

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!