• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to sell a Modern collection of about 4,000 comics in Charlotte, NC?

29 posts in this topic

I have a huge dilemma. :ohnoez:

Short Version: I'm trying to sell (get rid of) 3,000-4,000 modern age, mostly 9.6 to 9.8 grade or better, comics from the 02-06 era. Mostly Marvel and DC but runs the gambit of many publishers. And the comics are in Charlotte, NC.

What is the best way to sell or get rid of them?

Long Version: So my brother and I amassed a (ridiculous doh! ) collection of about 3,000-4,000, if I've done my math correctly, modern comics back in 02 to roughly 06. This was back in our "younger" days. About 90%+ of these books are absolutely pristine (roughly 9.8+). They were bought through a local mile high comics store in Colorado via diamond direct subscriptions and were immediately bagged and boarded. This modern "hyper" collecting was a fad for us and my brother has fallen away from comics completely. I of course still collect comics but stay mostly in the GA. When we moved away from Colorado we had the shipments forwarded from our local mile high store to our new address (it was actually cost effective and we liked our comic shop dealer). Somewhere along the line (about 2005) we both lost interest but still kept receiving the comics in shipping boxes from diamond/milehigh for about a year that we've never opened. Yes there are factory sealed pristine comics in about 12+ unopened boxes. We got a month's worth of comics in each box and they are big. from This collection of about 25-30 short boxes is now at our parents house in Charlotte, NC. I'm currently trying to consolidate it and get it out of there house when I'm around.

We need to get rid of them and I'm trying to find the best option possible. I'm not looking to make any money on them, it would be nice to salvage some value, but also not sure if I should just donate them to like the salvation army? It will take some work (time none of the family has) to sell these if I wanted to go that route.

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this?

And again its currently in Charlotte, NC. My parents are new to that area and I'm currently in town, I'm also not familiar with the area. And it is a little embarrassing going around to comic shops saying "hey I have about 4,000 comics at my parents house, some in unopened factory condition diamond direct boxes, I'm trying to sell!" lol

Short Version: I'm trying to sell (get rid of) 3,000-4,000 modern age, mostly 9.6 to 9.8 grade or better, comics from the 02-06 era. Mostly Marvel and DC but runs the gambit of many publishers. And the comics are in Charlotte, NC.

Long Version: So my brother and I amassed a (ridiculous doh! ) collection of about 3,000-4,000, if I've done my math correctly, modern comics back in 02 to roughly 06. This was back in our "younger" days. About 90%+ of these books are absolutely pristine (roughly 9.8+). They were bought through a local mile high comics store in Colorado via diamond direct subscriptions and were immediately bagged and boarded. This modern "hyper" collecting was a fad for us and my brother has fallen away from comics completely. I of course still collect comics but stay mostly in the GA. When we moved away from Colorado we had the shipments forwarded from our local mile high store to our new address (it was actually cost effective and we liked our comic shop dealer). Somewhere along the line (about 2005) we both lost interest but still kept receiving the comics in shipping boxes from diamond/milehigh for about a year that we've never opened. Yes there are factory sealed pristine comics in about 12+ unopened boxes. We got a month's worth of comics in each box and they are big. from This collection of about 25-30 short boxes is now at our parents house in Charlotte, NC. I'm currently trying to consolidate it and get it out of there house when I'm around.

We need to get rid of them and I'm trying to find the best option possible. I'm not looking to make any money on them, it would be nice to salvage some value, but also not sure if I should just donate them to like the salvation army? It will take some work (time none of the family has) to sell these if I wanted to go that route.

And again its currently in Charlotte, NC. My parents are new to that area and I'm currently in town, I'm also not familiar with the area. And it is a little embarrassing going around to comic shops saying "hey I have about 4,000 comics at my parents house, some in unopened factory condition diamond direct boxes, I'm trying to sell!" lol

I have a feeling if you got them in this manner, and you were to actually start looking at them more closely today you will see that a bunch of these are not 9.8s or better. Why do I say this, because unless you where getting 10+ of each copy in this manner of which 1 or 2 may be 9.8s or better then you have a ton of books with spine ticks, corner wear and who knows what else.

The reason I say this is because I got a lot of books back around this time also in this manner and with how Diamond shipped them out a lot of them had wear on them that would keep them out of 9.9 and 10.0 for the most part and were very hit or miss on 9.8s.

I have a feeling if you got them in this manner, and you were to actually start looking at them more closely today you will see that a bunch of these are not 9.8s or better. Why do I say this, because unless you where getting 10+ of each copy in this manner of which 1 or 2 may be 9.8s or better then you have a ton of books with spine ticks, corner wear and who knows what else.

The reason I say this is because I got a lot of books back around this time also in this manner and with how Diamond shipped them out a lot of them had wear on them that would keep them out of 9.9 and 10.0 for the most part and were very hit or miss on 9.8s.

It has been years since I've gone through them all. And that could be true. If I was selling I would probably advertise my collection as on average low end possible VF and high end possible NM or better" to save myself. I know eBayers get in trouble for that. lol

But I did get my books through the store and not as an individual diamonds direct buyer. I had an account with diamond through the store so they came in with the store's books. Back then, or at least in my area (I don't want to start a debate on the boards with possible passionate members :insane: ) but diamond would ship the comic dealer's books in a much better fashion than they would individual buyers books. I can't recall all the details. But I was extremely particular about the books I would get and can safely say most were in very high end shape. Not 9.9/10.0 but at least 9.4 or so on average, as I remember anyway. But I would have to check.

That's why getting rid of a decade old modern collection is tough. :ohnoez:

If there are walking dead books in there, get them out quickly. They're toxic and will be hazardous to your family. For proper disposal, you need to send them to a facility that is set up to deal with this type of waste. PM me for the location.

What do to want for them? I'm local and would be interested in them.

Pm me if you want. References are available as to my non-psycho disposition as well lol

Arex is as legit as they come. (thumbs u

Thanks Pat :hail:

There are no shortcuts in selling comic books in order to maximize gain.. What works for you is that you (hopefully) bought runs, which means that you're looking at about 10-15 days of intense labor to post them all on eBay and make the most. If most of those are mutants and spidey books its well worth the effort. If its a bunch of obscure titles that never picked steam, I'd craigslist them to death untl I get around 50-100 bucks a long box of 300 books.