• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigreed copies or not? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

43 posts in this topic

[font:Times New Roman]While checking out the Cookeville Collection thread recently it occurred to me that there are a lot of books around with distinguishing marks of one kind or another which have either been unintentionally overlooked or remain officially unrecognized as pedigrees. This seems like an important issue given the value placed on provenance regardless of how many times books are bought and sold after acquisition from an original owner's collection.

To start things off, I'll open this thread up for discussion with scans of five books from my own collection which have curious unidentified markings that haven't been recognized as pedigreed books. Others are invited to do the same. Perhaps we'll elicit opinions from the forum's brain-trust that will allow us to better assess the histories of these books. Whether we'll discover any overlooked pedigrees or learn any earth-shattering revelations about why certain collections haven't been recognized is open to debate, but it should be a fun in either case.

First, the penciled "L" or check mark. I have two high grade books with almost exactly the same marking in a similar location on the first letter of the book's title, upper left:

95ffa3e6-3871-4ad1-b23c-516857a202bd_zps1ecd2bf5.jpgf719677f-f6c1-448c-86f4-ef406187c31d_zps40178a8b.jpg

Does it mean anything? Maybe. Who knows. (shrug)

Next, penciled notation with arrival or purchase date in different locations, both apparently unrelated...

a9c979f1-b019-435a-bfb7-817b1fdddf8c_zpsfe83945f.jpg90d262cc-0ae8-4d27-8ebc-a3a59394e4c3_zpsb2d3cb7b.jpg

Finally, the grease pencil or crayon mark. Is this a numerical "59", the Cookeville "SN" or something else entirely (...I sure as heck can't tell)? [/font] hm

CA74-1A_zpsea43d665.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Now it's your turn. Post your own examples and/or share your insights, the mic is officially on...[/font] :grin:

"Int" books are known for being a generally high grade collection of books from the late 30's and early 40's. Here's an example:

[font:Times New Roman]Ah! That's very interesting. I have one of those (I think)...[/font] hm

1db03b54-878b-4d26-87ba-a4230417b91c_zps5ce4da9c.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]Peter, do you know anything more about that collection?[/font] >>>>> :hi:

I call these "grease pencil S" books...there are quite a few of them floating around...

wonderworld7.jpg

amf2-11.jpg

:gossip: New Hampshire

The Thrilling has a fairly distinctive marking. The USQ nothing really unusual but for the grade.

thrillingcomics75cgc85ow-w_zpse60797a2.jpg

From the A collection ? It all looks like scribble to me. (shrug)

superman2cgc6.5.jpg

That is one sweet book :applause:

:o The "One Sweet Book" Pedigree?

:gossip: New Hampshire

The Thrilling has a fairly distinctive marking.

Danke. :)

bitte schön

http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#NEW_HAMPSHIRE