• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Downey Jr. ready to leave the Iron-Man franchise?!

45 posts in this topic

Jon Hamm in the Iron Man suit?

hm

-slym

I see him as Mr.Fantastic than Tony Stark.

Jon Hamm in Mad Men is brilliant, but have you ever checked him out in other stuff?

Not nearly as impressive

hm

The Town?

He had a great role in that (opposite Hawkeye and Daredevil even). :shrug:

hm

-slym

Jon Hamm in Mad Men is brilliant, but have you ever checked him out in other stuff?

Not nearly as impressive

hm

The Town?

He had a great role in that (opposite Hawkeye and Daredevil even). :shrug:

based on his Don Draper character, he's got the alcoholic side of Tony Stark down pat

If ever they were going to reboot the IM franchise, or wanted a younger replacement for Tony Stark, I'd vote for Travis Fimmel.

He's been very impressive as a thinking man's barbarian in History's the Vikings, and, at least according to my wife, would insure any female movie-goer would get her money's worth.

hm

Not nearly as impressive

He's actually fantastic in comedy. Not that it helps the IM argument.

30 Rock.

I could see him being a serviceable replacement actually.

He seems to have that certain arrogant prickishness that Tony Stark has.

-slym

hm

-slym

Not nearly as impressive

Blasphemy

The Town and almost every appearance on 30 Rock and SNL

He is SNL's future Alec Baldwin.

If I'm reading it right, he says he doesn't see doing it past another three years. My guess is that they'll get him for one more Iron Man and likely two more avenger movies. Seems like that would be enough to run the course anyway.
:wishluck: Hopefully he is on board atleast that long.

As cryptic as that whole thing was that was basically what I got out of it too...3 years. He got a bum ankle in a stunt and didn't like that so he's thinking he's pushing his luck the longer he does it.

Wow... I was gonna say, "he is getting a little long in the tooth," but he's only 48.

He has been around forever, and let's face it, looks a good bit older than that.

-slym

Really? I thought he looked good for his age, despite all the living he's err, done.

Anyone know how many films RDJ is currently contracted for?

The Avengers 2 (announced)

Tony Stark (rumored) / Iron Man (rumored)

2014 The Judge (pre-production)

????/II Pinocchio (pre-production)

Gepetto (voice) (rumored)

2013 Iron Man 3

Tony Stark / Iron Man

This isn't a criticism, but Robert Downey Junior is playing Robert Downey Junior in the Iron Man films, not Tony Stark. Stark from the comics is a serious guy, so someone like Hamm would be closer to what Stark has always been. Having said that, I prefer Robert Downey Junior just as everybody else does...a more-serious Stark would be hard to take having seen Downey make the guy so likable.

This isn't a criticism, but Robert Downey Junior is playing Robert Downey Junior in the Iron Man films, not Tony Stark. Stark from the comics is a serious guy, so someone like Hamm would be closer to what Stark has always been. Having said that, I prefer Robert Downey Junior just as everybody else does...a more-serious Stark would be hard to take having seen Downey make the guy so likable.

Have you read any of the Iron Man appearances in Avengers since 'Disassembled' by Bendis? I also thought Shooter wrote Iron Man in his bronze Avengers run with a bit of a wise arse, superiority complex.

Robert Downey Jr. is just playing the game. I think what he's trying to do is to have the film studios to offer him more money and perks. He knows nothing last forever, so he's probably trying to milk this as much as possible.

Have you read any of the Iron Man appearances in Avengers since 'Disassembled' by Bendis? I also thought Shooter wrote Iron Man in his bronze Avengers run with a bit of a wise arse, superiority complex.

No, haven't read the Shooter Iron Mans or recent ones, just the Stan Lee issues and a few years from the 80s. And I've read him in the 60s, 80s, and 2000s in the Avengers. Every time he's next to a jokey character like Spider-Man he's a straight man.