• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

for the love of god..WHY??

25 posts in this topic

I could never figure it out, so will someone here kindly do the honors and explain to me why is it that when someone bids on an auction it doesnt show as the "real" figure? Example: I just had someone that placed a bid on my auction and it showed as 0.99, then he retracted and I could see in the Bid retraction history section that he actually placed a bid for 19.00.. Why would ebay not show the full amount as a general rule???

Furthermore, sometimes I would see my auction go from .99 straight to a higher amount.. Why is doing it sometimes and others it would increase in small increments???

ugh!

The bid that is shown is the highest bid that will win the auction. There is no need to for the bid to jump all the way to 10.99 if a 0.99c bid will win.

This incentivizes buyer participation in auctions. Not good for the seller but better for buyers.

I could never figure it out, so will someone here kindly do the honors and explain to me why is it that when someone bids on an auction it doesnt show as the "real" figure? Example: I just had someone that placed a bid on my auction and it showed as 0.99, then he retracted and I could see in the Bid retraction history section that he actually placed a bid for 19.00.. Why would ebay not show the full amount as a general rule???

Furthermore, sometimes I would see my auction go from .99 straight to a higher amount.. Why is doing it sometimes and others it would increase in small increments???

ugh!

When you are selling in an auction you are selling to the highest bidder.

The price is determined by the second highest bidder's best offer to purchase.

That second highest bidders best offer plus "one bid increment" will be your selling price.

Yeah, what they said.

If you don't care for sniping at the last second the best you can do is make your first bid your best bid, and if no one else bids higher you win.

And you win at one bid above all other bidders' highest bids.

Example:

You like that Tales of Suspense 57 in VG and bid $50 day one of the auction.

Bidder B comes along and bids $10, you'll win at $10.50

But if bidder C comes along and bids $20 you'll win at $20.50

Then bidder D comes along and bids $55.00, you lose.

However, if you cancel your bid after Bidder B, then it'll show the cancelled bid at $50.

Or so I understand it.

Yeah, what they said.

If you don't care for sniping at the last second the best you can do is make your first bid your best bid, and if no one else bids higher you win.

And you win at one bid above all other bidders' highest bids.

Example:

You like that Tales of Suspense 57 in VG and bid $50 day one of the auction.

Bidder B comes along and bids $10, you'll win at $10.50

But if bidder C comes along and bids $20 you'll win at $20.50

Then bidder D comes along and bids $55.00, you lose.

However, if you cancel your bid after Bidder B, then it'll show the cancelled bid at $50.

Or so I understand it.

Also, as the winning bid amount goes up, the increment of the next bid goes up as well.

Current price..................Bid increment

$ 0.01 - $ 0.99................$ 0.05

$ 1.00 - $ 4.99................$ 0.25

$ 5.00 - $ 24.99..............$ 0.50

$ 25.00 - $ 99.99............$ 1.00

$ 100.00 - $ 249.99........$ 2.50

$ 250.00 - $ 499.99........$ 5.00

$ 500.00 - $ 999.99........$ 10.00

$ 1000.00 - $ 2499.99....$ 25.00

$ 2500.00 - $ 4999.99....$ 50.00

$ 5000.00 and up............$ 100.00

Of course, when someone enters an off amount, such as $21.83, that throws off some of the figures. The increment will remain the same, even though the amount may not show it.

For more information:

Automatic Bidding

and

Bid Increments

The only way an auction will show the actual top bid is when there is a reserve.

Ebay charges a not insignificant fee based on the reserve for this option, and many potential buyers shy away from such auctions as frequently such reserves are beyond what anyone us willing to bid. As a result there aren't that many reserve auctions on ebay

This is still very confusing to me, it always has been, I fail to see a reason why eBay would like to make things so complicated.. If I wanna nickle and dime a seller ill just add .5/.15/.35 a bid, who cares? Its not like every auction you post is a _____ (enter your key book here). In fact, those are the hardest books for me to move (not the key issues).

I had a wolverine (1988) #2 auction that started at .99 and within the 2nd or 3rd bid jumped to 12.00 (and closed at 25!) and I had an amazing spiderman 148 that had 5-6 bids that climbed in increments of .20 cents.. and closed at 4.75!!

It just doesnt make any sense!!!

This is still very confusing to me, it always has been, I fail to see a reason why eBay would like to make things so complicated.. If I wanna nickle and dime a seller ill just add .5/.15/.35 a bid, who cares? Its not like every auction you post is a _____ (enter your key book here). In fact, those are the hardest books for me to move (not the key issues).

I had a wolverine (1988) #2 auction that started at .99 and within the 2nd or 3rd bid jumped to 12.00 (and closed at 25!) and I had an amazing spiderman 148 that had 5-6 bids that climbed in increments of .20 cents.. and closed at 4.75!!

It just doesnt make any sense!!!

Why doesn't it make sense? This is how blind auctions work - not just on eBay, but everywhere else as well.

User A bids $20.00

User B bids $10.00

The price is now at $10.50 - which is the highest bid from User A that'll beat the bid from User B.

If User B bids $50, the price will jump to $20.50 - which is the highest bid from User B that'll beat the bid from User A.

It seems to me you don't understand how online auctions work.

Incremental bidding

Everyone wants to win, but only at the right price. Although we suggest that you bid the maximum amount that you're willing to pay for an item, you could pay less. As the listing proceeds, we compare your bid to those of other bidders. When you're outbid, we automatically bid on your behalf up to your maximum bid. We increase your bid by increments only as much as necessary to maintain your position as highest bidder.