• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did this seller renege on a deal?

25 posts in this topic

Hi FF and welcome to the boards.

It's a bummer that you haven't received your book.

It's impossible to say for sure what has occurred, but I would personally give the seller the benefit of the doubt and hope that the book turns up and you receive an email to that effect and can pay him or her again.

That seems like a frank exchange, with the seller (IMO) doing the right thing by refunding money until the book can be located. This is very clean in the event that the book doesn't turn up in their inventory.

Depending on the seller's stock levels it could be the proverbial needle in a haystack.

:wishluck: for you.

It's possible that the seller has seller's remorse but it's also quite possible that the seller is telling the truth and can't find the book. The seller did the right thing by issuing you a refund until he locates the book.

He says that he knows he has it somewhere. I'd continue to remind him that I still wanted it and if it never appears I'd probably avoid him in the future.

And while this is the finest group of comic collectors I know, there are a few respected or high post count boardies that I wouldn't buy from. Every community has it's Pee Wee Hermans

And welcome to the boards.

Let me get this straight.

You've had an excellent experience with this seller prior to this transaction.

The seller couldn't find the book and refunded your money.

Earlier today you told him you'd wait 2-3 weeks for him to find it.

You then immediately started this thread about him.

Did I get that right?

If you've done business with him in the past and were happy, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

With that said, now that you've come on here and questioned his integrity, perhaps he will choose not to have any more transactions with you.

--am I just paranoid or is there something nefarious going on here? If so, what can I do?

This has happened to so many collector's. While it's a pain, you're out nothing but your hopes for the book.

What can you do? You could start a thread about it, but the seller might see it :gossip:

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I just had a smiliar experience myself . I got a want list from someone . The first book I found for him . I scanned the book,sent pictures a description and we agreed on a price. I told him i would check to see what else I could find for him. I also told him I was looking at a new collection soon, and there may be something in there he needed .

Over the next few weeks I looked for other books from his list . Came up with a few more, we agreed on a price for everything . I looked for the initial book and I couldnt find it . I went thru piles of books . I knew it couldnt be too far away. Surely I put it somewhere for safe keeping. But I forgot where that great hiding spot was . Well sitting right in front of me is my all in one scanner/printer . It started showing a line in all my pictures a few months back. So now I just use it to print labels . I opened it up and sure enough I left the book snuggly in a mylar and on top of the glass . Safe and sound . It only took me about an hour to find .

If this dealer you purchased the book from has alot of stock. Books can be easily misplaced and Im sure he really feels bad to lose a sale . Good luck

If the book is really lost I think his conduct is appropriate.

If he is lying due to seller's remorse he is a spoon.

You have no way of telling which is the case.

And since you should "[n]ever attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." I would give the seller the benifit of the doubt.

I would take the seller at his word. If he said he could not locate the book, chances are he couldn't. I've had that happen to me before with a book I purchased and paid for, and when the board seller said he couldn't find it, I was fine with the refund. No harm, no foul. It is good that he answered your messages quickly and was apologetic and polite each time.

It is difficult to keep absolute track of a large inventory. When folks make purchases, my first statement is, "let me check to make sure everything is still there."

Sad, but true.

Comics are easy to misplace. I lost my ASM 14 for nearly a year. Looked through all my comics multiple times. Thought it was gone forever but hoped I'd just hidden it from myself really well. Later found it in a stack of empty mylars/boards.

Comics are easy to misplace. I lost my ASM 14 for nearly a year. Looked through all my comics multiple times. Thought it was gone forever but hoped I'd just hidden it from myself really well. Later found it in a stack of empty mylars/boards.
:lol: My Conans (1-24) have been misplaced for going on six years now...., :sorry:

However, it will be a happy reunion once I find them! :foryou:

Deleted

One post and it's been deleted. Boy, if only a certain BOARDIE who's near 10,000 POSTS might have opted to immortalize himeself IN THIS WAY...

Let me get this straight.

You've had an excellent experience with this seller prior to this transaction.

The seller couldn't find the book and refunded your money.

Earlier today you told him you'd wait 2-3 weeks for him to find it.

You then immediately started this thread about him.

Did I get that right?