• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men 101 9.8!

79 posts in this topic

Any one esle watching this one on ebay? Now I think I have seen 9.4s in the $200 range and 9.6s around $500 to $600 - but over $3000 for a 9.8 with several hours to go? I guess some people are banking on a surge of Phoenix demand prior to the 3rd X-men or a few people just like spending money. Talk about wishful thinking and out of control speculation! But it looks like 9.8s are approaching the lev el of selling for 10X what cgc 9.4s sell for - which is exactly what some dealers are hoping for. Happy bidding!

When's the last time you saw a 9.8 available publicly on that issue? This is the first I've ever seen myself...I figure that's what's driving the price up. People don't know when the next time they'll see one again will be.

You know, I used to worry about this type of overt, speculator stupidity, but no more. I'm looking out for Number 1, so let the drunken sailors continue spending.

Go insufficiently_thoughtful_person Specs, Go!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You know, I used to worry about this type of overt, speculator stupidity, but no more. I'm looking out for Number 1, so let the drunken sailors continue spending.

Losing faith just because your prediction of the graded market crashing and burning in 2004 hasn't come to pass yet? DON'T LOSE THAT MARKET PESSIMISM!!! thumbsup2.gif

I agree. its the 1st to market (or at least the first in a looooong time)and a very cool key. That said, as loony as I am, i wouldn't shell out more than $1500ish for it.

As for speculation Rob, nope... the high bidder is a good customer who is a serious collector as far as I can tell. I just offered him $1K+ profit on a $3K key he bought from me 2 years ago and he was not at all interested in selling.

He's a doctor who is rewarding himself "for his success" he told me on the phone some time ago. He's just buying the comics he cherished when he was younger. Not every freespending 9.8 buyer is a speculator... or at least as much of one as people think. a little loony maybe... but who among us has never been?

grin.gifhi.gif

not that I put a lot of faith in the census - but there are over 100 issues graded 9.4 to 9.6 right now! My point is, why would you pay over $3000 more for a 9.8 in this issue over the 9.4 price. It may end up costing $3000 more than a 9.6! And the first time in this grade on ebay factor is probably playing in - I guess we will have to wait until the 4th and 5th in 9.8 pop up as dealers resubmit their 9.6s to to get that .2 better.

Losing faith just because your prediction of the graded market crashing and burning in 2004 hasn't come to pass yet?

I have no lost faith, as a downturn is a market reality, and it's only a matter of when. If you think CGC comics will continue to rise in value, for decades to come, and with no drop, then... insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

What I have stopped doing is worrying about what will happen to insufficiently_thoughtful_person specs when the Reaper comes calling, how this speculative bubble burst will affect longtime dealers, and whether comic book collecting will ever recover.

I say let the chips fall where they may, and the foolish get exactly what they deserve. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for speculation Rob, nope... the high bidder is a good customer who is a serious collector as far as I can tell.

Come on, for every "longtime collector" willing to pay big bucks, there are 10 insufficiently_thoughtful_person speculators bidding to drive him into the stratosphere.

What I have stopped doing is worrying about what will happen to insufficiently_thoughtful_person specs when the Reaper comes calling, how this speculative bubble burst will affect longtime dealers, and whether comic book collecting will ever recover.

So you've grown weary of the doomsaying, or are you scaling back your estimate on how cataclysmically hobby-ending it will be?

So you've grown weary of the doomsaying, or are you scaling back your estimate on how cataclysmically hobby-ending it will be?

Okay, since you're obviously not seeing it, I'll spell it out:

I used to "doomsay" because I truly wanted to help people who obviously have more money (or credit cards) than brains, but I have since decided that fools always get exactly what they deserve.

Or to put it a different way:

What good is it telling sheep that the farmer is gonna shear them but good? They just baa and go back to eating grass. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ah, you've grown weary of it. HALLELUJUAH!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Your audience was always on the EBay and ComicsPriceGuide.com boards anyway...never understood why you didn't take the evangelism over where it was needed, if evangelism was truly the primary motivation. Which I never believed it was. blush.gif

Your audience was always on the EBay and ComicsPriceGuide.com boards anyway...never understood why you didn't take the evangelism over where it was needed

Believe me, there are more "newbie speculators" on here than you could possibly imagine.

As a Jean Grey fan I would pay loads for that book too, if I had it.

What the heck does that statement mean? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think in that case 'it' referred to loads of Money....

Ok then - I will poke fun at him for an entirely different reason then. Got to love those folks who "have to have it at any cost" and they are often described by dealers as "very good customers" surprisingly.

Probably the best (and most truthful) statement I have seen on these boards in a long time.

thumbsup2.gif

Regarding paying a boat load for this book, there are really two sides to the theory:

1) The person who wants the best, NOW, and will pay what it takes. Can't blame them as long as they can afford it.

2) The fact that there is really no guarantee that this 9.8 is any better than some of the 9.6's.

I'm much more into the #2 theory.

Everytime I see this disproportionate value between 9.6 and a 9.8, I can't help but think of the Spinal Tap line "but mine goes to 11".

The

As a Jean Grey fan I would pay loads for that book too, if I had it.

What the heck does that statement mean? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think in that case 'it' referred to loads of Money....

I know, but you can't spend what you don't have, and throwing around Monopoly money adds little to the discussion. Oh, if wishes were fishes.... 893frustrated.gif

You either lay down the cold hard cash or you don't. End of story.