• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men 101 9.8!

79 posts in this topic

Well if 5k isn't in the wallet it basically negates the "when you've got to open your wallet for almost $5K"

Or are you saying that only monied people have the right to an opinion?

Yes, if your opinion is that $5K is more than a fair price, and something you'd easily buy. That's not an opinion, but a actionable statement.

Otherwise, it's a bunch of kids talking about what sports cars they'd buy if they found a million dollars. Pure fantasy with even a hint of reality. foreheadslap.gif

No - it is a freaking opinion. Even someone with the ready cash to buy the book is only doing it on opinion. I mean, how many people have you trashed on ebay for paying amounts you feel are ridiculous? Well, they HAD the reayd money. Doesn't that make them right in this context?

And that I don't have the money right now doesn't discredit my opinion.

Of course it does. foreheadslap.gif

Anyone can spend Monopoly Money, but it changes significantly when you've got to open your wallet for almost $5K for a Bronze Age comic.

Open your wallet and you've got a point. Otherwise....

I said if I HAD the money I WOULD pay for that book because I LOVE Jean Grey. Unless you feel for some reason that you would like to express that I would NOT pay for that book if I had the money, then it's not open for your dismissal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that I don't have the money right now doesn't discredit my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course it does.

Anyone can spend Monopoly Money, but it changes significantly when you've got to open your wallet for almost $5K for a Bronze Age comic.

Open your wallet and you've got a point. Otherwise....

JC's right on this one.

As someone who use to analysis stocks with play money, and then had $100k's of real money in the market, the decisions you make are quite different. I still have a hard time bidding on books that are worth more than several hundred dollars (though I won a $1K book on eBay today). wink.gif

The more dollars I have to shell out, the more I want to know that I am not "the greater fool". In other words, I want to buy at prices that look like record LOWS not record HIGHS. blush.gif

Lots of talk about me! Wow! I normally don't post on this board, but since I noticed my name being mentioned, I might as well comment on the previous posts.

No matter whether you agree with what I did or not, I can at least say that I have a 9.8 copy now. Granted, I might be able to find a 9.6 that might look better, but for me to validate this, I would have to resubmit a better looking 9.6 to be regraded to a 9.8. There is no guarantee that would occur.

Although I can tell the difference between a 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8 modern age book, I find that bronze and silver age books tend to be graded by a different standard. Also, as someone else had mentioned, a 9.8 to someone, may be a 9.6 to another person, and vice versa.

Nevertheless, since CGC is a 3rd party organization, they are the ones who validate the grade. CGC is considered the authority on comic book grading even though they are not perfect. If they were not considered the authority, there wouldn't be so many people buying and selling CGC graded comic books (look at eBay, Heritage comics, GPAnalysis, ComicLink, Metropolis Comics, Colossus Comics, etc...). Whether the validation by CGC is true or perceived is determined by the current market and the public. Just like a professional having licences and certificates are validated in what they do, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are always right, perfect, or experts in their respective fields. I can name numerous physicians that are board certified in their field, whom I think are incompetent and other physicians who are yet to be board certified who are very competent. Nevertheless, it is the perception of the validation that makes something (or someone) valuable or trustworthy.

As for buying without inspecting physically, I can say that I usually buy with credit card to prevent fraud. This I learned after being conned by a former ebay seller years ago, and most recently by a presumably reputable comic book dealer. I also have a lawyer whom I occasionally use to retaliate against those who try to screw me over. Likewise, having been to conventions all over the US, I have not had much luck in finding the comics I want in CGC 9.8 grades.

Unlike many people who buy and sell 3rd party graded comics (CGC, 3PG, CGG), I upgrade my collection regularly because I enjoy my collection. And after I upgrade specific issues, I sell my downgraded copies to clear up space. I don't buy and sell comics for a living since profitting regularly in this field is not stable and requires a lot of time. If I did, I'd run my own comic book store on the side. There are easier ways to earn money in a stable manner i.e. real estate.

Anyway, my 2 cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

BUT: you (or the buyers) are assuming GRADING IS AN EXACT SCIENCE. And that's where I disagree.

That's why my post was started with the mantra of buy the book, not the label. thumbsup2.gif

My point is not that this CGC 9.8 is better than that CGC 9.6 or that the average collector can even tell the difference between slabbed copies, but rather that the prices paid for incrementally better copies (where "better" may be defined by CGC, the buyer, or the seller) are not surprising, given the history of price spreads in this hobby as well as the large price spreads seen in other collectibles.

One question Doc:

Why in the world did you bid like that, and allow a low-feedback, shill-like bidder to artificially inflate your final total like that?

Why not snipe or at least bid very late and not allow this type of (potential) manipulation?

Yeah amazing. Since BB was involved I imagine he couldn't dial the numbers quick enough to get the doctor over here to try to explain this or whatever his posting was meant to do. BB has a habit of stuff like that. Anyway, you must give Dr.PF points for bravery I guess for coming on to enlighten us - we never heard from JGreen about his Showcase purchases the other year so this way, we at least know the rest of the story. My main reason for this particular post though is to let Dr PF know that there is an X-men 105 9.8 with a stunning Phoenix cover ending in about 12 hours today. I think the opening bid is $750, so if you put in like 3 bids now at let's say $1000, $2000 and $3000, I bet you would have a good shot at taking it home.