• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men 101 9.8!

79 posts in this topic

My point is not that this CGC 9.8 is better than that CGC 9.6 or that the average collector can even tell the difference between slabbed copies, but rather that the prices paid for incrementally better copies (where "better" may be defined by CGC, the buyer, or the seller) are not surprising, given the history of price spreads in this hobby as well as the large price spreads seen in other collectibles.

Once again, I do not disagree that spreads have widen (regardless if you are looking at 1974 to 2004 or 1994 to 2004).

That said, the spreads have taken a DRAMATIC jump over the past few years because of CGC.

And it is my opinion that the spreads have widen to QUICKLY, and at some point will shrink back a bit. While that might sound foolish, remember there are lots of high-grade books that sold for recorded prices in 2001/2002 that have not reached those level again. It's not that the books are really valued less, as much as a few sales are more like "apparitions" of the real value.

And as the good drpainfree said, he wanted a 9.8. Clearly, buy the label mentality.

It's his money so he can do whatever he wants.

thumbsup2.gif

I love it when forum members talk about other people or their actions (whether it be directly or indirectly) and then those people post!

me too. Its cool to get the other side straight fronm the horsies mouth. However, after the Jay Parrino guest post, Im always wary of believing surprise guest posts like this. I never heard of the Dr before this thread So I have no idea if this was him or a shill for whatever reason. or if Im sounding stupid for even questioning it. I looked up to read his other 4 posts, but was surprised to see only one listed. How is that possible??

But--- I really liked his defense of his purchase. He clearly recognizes that he is buying the label and is cool with that, respecting and trusting in the CGC authority to define grading at this point in time. He's right. A 9.8 may be equal to. better than, ot worse than a 9.6, but heck - - its says 9.8 dont it??

I do think his cpmparisons of CGC to the AMA and other professional certification boards is apt, but too simplistic. CGC's future is not a given. Its too new. But nothing's going to come along and challenge or replace those other far larger more established certifying authorities. So relying on CGC's word may be , well, not so reliable, for all of us.

>>> If you think CGC comics will continue to rise in value, for

>>> decades to come

Depends on the books. For modern books, I agree with you. It's a weird

market right now, and it's hard to understand people paying the prices we're

seeing.

But my counter example is golden age books -- I do think that there are some

CGC graded golden age books (and a few silver age) that will continue to rise in

value for decades to come, or at least will hold their value.

That doesn't mean prices won't occasionally stagnate or dip, even for years

at a time. But for SOME books, the general trend is up. That's not to say

they're a good investment compared to a mutual fund, but I don't think they'll

crash either.

gozer

---------------------------

Ladies and Gentleman, I've been to Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

And I can say without hyperbole that this is a million times worse

than all of them put together.

Yeah amazing. Since BB was involved I imagine he couldn't dial the numbers quick enough to get the doctor over here to try to explain this or whatever his posting was meant to do. BB has a habit of stuff like that. Anyway, you must give Dr.PF points for bravery I guess for coming on to enlighten us - we never heard from JGreen about his Showcase purchases the other year so this way, we at least know the rest of the story. My main reason for this particular post though is to let Dr PF know that there is an X-men 105 9.8 with a stunning Phoenix cover ending in about 12 hours today. I think the opening bid is $750, so if you put in like 3 bids now at let's say $1000, $2000 and $3000, I bet you would have a good shot at taking it home.

Rob... confused-smiley-013.gif actually, you have a "habit" of making puzzling "out of the blue" unsubstantiated statements about me and finding out later that you were mistaken... like last time with the Silver Surfer guy. Remember?... when you came up with some bizzare idea that I was doing wrong by my friend Ricky who I in fact helped a great deal... along with the seller who turned out not to be a scammer?

So, please keep your predictions in check (at least when they involve me) as you're wrong again. Not that what you said is any big deal, but come on give me a break already with that stuff. I'm not involved in any way, nor did I find the thread alarming/important enough to call/email anyone. I believe Charles has been a lurker for quite some time... he just showed up on his own.

Keep in mind, I also found the buy price a bit "loony" and said so, but I'm not judging anyone... especially with my bidding track-record. cool.gif

But the real question I have on this auction is whether the underbidder (feedback of 2) is a shill.

I wondered the same thing when "wocw" bid up the CGC 9.8 Bronze X-Men auctions of Lauterbach and Ewert about two weeks ago. I felt almost sure that he was a shill, but now that he's been seen to bid on lots of people's auctions selling the same types of books, I'm leaning towards the possibility that he's a legit bidder.

Still, wocw's bidding illustrates perfectly Joe's point in the question he posted to DrPainFree...why would he not snipe this book? We can see that wocw just kept incrementally bidding until he passed or got close to Dr's bids, so if Dr had a much lower bid--or didn't bid at all until the end--he probably wouldn't have had to pay so much.

My main reason for this particular post though is to let Dr PF know that there is an X-men 105 9.8 with a stunning Phoenix cover ending in about 12 hours today. I think the opening bid is $750, so if you put in like 3 bids now at let's say $1000, $2000 and $3000, I bet you would have a good shot at taking it home.

27_laughing.gif Great advice!!! tongue.gif

To answer the question about the posts since I last posted:

1) My somewhat haphazard bidding was the only way for me to guarantee that I would win, since I cannot always predict when I will be on the internet. Believe me, if my job would allow me, I would be on the computer 24 hours a day and bid only at the last minute. As such, my schedule is unpredictable and can only bid when I get the chance to access my computer.

As a side note:

sign-rantpost.gif

I don't think you would appreciate it if I was your treating physician, but decided to bid on ebay rather than take care of your medical problems. Granted there is some deserving criticism against physicians, but there is also a lot of undeserving criticism against physicians, and I don't want to add to it by doing something unprofessional or unethical.

2) I would not even have known about the posts except for the fact that BB informed me that he noticed my bidding. If he noticed, then I am sure that other CGC collectors would have noticed and posted messages to express their disdain about my bidding method. I just wanted to explain my side of the story.

3) I don't always bid as aggressively as I did with the X-Men 101 CGC 9.8. If you had noticed all the recent X-Men CGC 9.8 comics that ejaenter and other auctioned on ebay within the last two months, I backed off on some major Byrne X-Men issues. As much as I would like to have an X-Men 109 CGC 9.8, I am not willing to pay over $1000, especially with all of the recent Byrne bashing on the internet. sign-offtopic.gif Don't know if Byrne deserves the slander against him or not, but even though he is my favorite artist, with all the slander going about, any Byrne issue could possible be hurt by it. Hey if it could happen to Kobe, it certainly could happen to Byrne.

4) I rarely post any messages because usually I post my want lists. If I do, I either get no response from people or the offers are ridiculously overpriced. As such, I usually only deal with people that I have first interacted with through eBay or through the conventions that I go to. Another reason I usually don't post is because some of you guys are overly harsh on some people, making accusations without proper proof or evidence. I already see the [!@#%^&^] accusations that goes on in the medical field. Why would I want to deal with similar [!@#%^&^] in my hobby?

Anyway, I am not upset at anyone. I just would like people to gather as much information as possible before making their own decisions or actions. After all, speculation caused most people to lose money in the stock market these last few years. It also will probably cause a lot of people to lose money in the real estate market. Speculation definitely encourages people to make bad medical decisions.

Finally, whether you agree with my actions/beliefs or not, inform yourselves before you act! PLEASE! 893frustrated.gif

Don't know if Byrne deserves the slander against him or not, but even though he is my favorite artist, with all the slander going about, any Byrne issue could possible be hurt by it.

Wait a minute.... earlier you stated that you bid such ludicrous amounts because of your love for the hobby and to "buy the best", but now you're talking like some newbie speculator. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I mention the Byrne controversy because I don't want to pay a lot for something that could potentially drop in value later. If in fact something does drop in value, I would rather buy an item for the lesser price. It is speculative on my part, but it is not for investment. It is for what I perceive my wallet can handle.

After all, would you pay $4 for a Coke in a Hotel Honor bar or go down the street to the convenience store near the hotel to pay $1.50? No matter what I or anyone else wants or desires, if supply is higher than expected demand, why would anyone pay more if he/she thinks they can get it at a lower price whether for personal or business reasons?

893blahblah.gifI refer you again to the real estate market. In Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas, the market is still more demand than supply, whereas in some other parts of the US (Michigan, midwest, south, rural or economically dying areas, etc...), the market is now more supply than demand. Even though the sellers are trying to get the most for their homes, with the rising interest rate, increased loss of jobs, and decreased spending power of the dollar, eventually, the sellers will either have to decrease their asking prices or take their homes off the market. But in any case, a buyer may buy a home right away if he/she needs a home or perceives that the home they are looking for will never be easy to find no matter what the market situation. On the other hand a buyer may perceive that similar quality homes may pop up as the market stumbles. It all comes down to what the rarity and value of the item is to the interested buyer.

Anyway, I need to go to work. It's for reasons like these continuous postings that I try to avoid posting. Thanks for your time. tonofbricks.gifforeheadslap.gif