• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams vs John Byrne

42 posts in this topic

JB kicks butt!! thumbsup2.gif

JB kicks butt!! thumbsup2.gif

By disrespecting The Master?

Bad move, JB.

mad.gifsumo.gif

I didnt actually have time to read the postings...I was talking about his artwork! thumbsup2.gif

Yikes!

Unfortuantley that sounds exactly like stories I've heard about Neal. Too bad -- every time I hear one of stories I lose a little more respect for him as a person (not his talent).

I had dinner with Julie Schwarts (and others) one night and Neal Adams came up. To avoid Neal coming on here and verbally [!@#%^&^]-slapping me I will say nothing more than this... the concensus at the table (Julie included) was that Neal's ego was just as great as his talent. That seems to shine thru in that little exchange.

I've met John Byrne and spent several hours talking to him. He is a wonderful guy to talk to but he can be a bit confrontational at times. However, in this case I don't see where he was out of line at all.

I think that Neal's oversized ego is matched if not exceeded by JBs... Neal just showed up and chastised JB for passing along a statement from another professional. Of course in his typical condescending God like fashion it came across as a cold rebuke, which left JB, ego in hand, his only recourse ; to backpeddle w/o conceding any wrongdoing. He certainly wasnt going to apologize to Neal, nor did he want to insult an artist whose work he admires.

Just replying to me - but just because people draw comics famously and very well doesn't mean their digestive process won't create the same thing out of a cheeseburger as ours digestive processes will!

I honestly don't see anything there that even BEGINS to approach some of the fine scruffs we have had on these threads right here! You betcha! thumbsup2.gif

All comics are printed in cmyk. And beyond what Dice says about the inferior quality of recycled black ink, that would be most noticieable only in those ares that are printed in ONLY black ink. However, nearly all black areas on comics backgrounds are composed of black ink PLUS cyan (and depending on the printer) Magenta and yellow in order to achieve a blacker black. Just black ink tends to appear light an dgreyish unless its slapped on top of cyan and the other inks.

Dice can correct me if Im talking about magazines etc and not the cheaper SA comics back then.

All comics are printed in cmyk. And beyond what Dice says about the inferior quality of recycled black ink, that would be most noticieable only in those ares that are printed in ONLY black ink. However, nearly all black areas on comics backgrounds are composed of black ink PLUS cyan (and depending on the printer) Magenta and yellow in order to achieve a blacker black. Just black ink tends to appear light an dgreyish unless its slapped on top of cyan and the other inks.

Dice can correct me if Im talking about magazines etc and not the cheaper SA comics back then.

Correct. A screen of 60% cyan behind the black makes it more vibrant.

They may or may not have been doing this on comics, back in the day.

Saved money on cyan ink if they didn't.

If you have a book with a black background, have a close look at it where the black touches another color. You can see the other color printing behind the black, and makes it deep and vibrant.

In the other areas, the black is not as vibrant.

Using that as reference, I'd say there is no other colors behind the black.

sumo.gif

If you have a book with a black background, have a close look at it where the black touches another color. You can see the other color printing behind the black, and makes it deep and vibrant.

sumo.gif

Aren't you guys replying in the wrong thread? foreheadslap.gif

sumo.gif

Aren't you guys replying in the wrong thread? foreheadslap.gif

that's ok i just posted in the other thread devil.gif

I think that Neal's oversized ego is matched if not exceeded by JBs... Neal just showed up and chastised JB for passing along a statement from another professional. Of course in his typical condescending God like fashion it came across as a cold rebuke, which left JB, ego in hand, his only recourse ; to backpeddle w/o conceding any wrongdoing. He certainly wasnt going to apologize to Neal, nor did he want to insult an artist whose work he admires.

JB did not come off that way to me. He seemed a bit cocky but not rude. I can definitely see where the two of them would rub each other the wrong way. I haven't met Neal (on my list of things to do) but I'm sure he is cordial and pleasant to speak with. If he's like many really talented people it's only when he feels challenged that his god complex sprouts -- "You don't like the way I do it? Let's see what you've got tough guy."

I'd probably also agree that their egos match their talent. Although words were eloquently written, this probably would've been a better exchange if kept private between the two. Although not an artist myself, I can understand the passion involved. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just love their work--both of 'em need to stop cruising forums and start producing some more great art!