• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 Blue 1.5 on ComicConnect next month...any guesses as to the sale price?

132 posts in this topic

Well, my question is since Comic Connect knew (or maybe encouraged) having this work done on the book shouldn't they give full disclosure in the auction description about this? The fact that after showcase22gr1959 informed Comic Connect about this article and then it was removed makes you wonder.

I posted the link to the article in question, and this raises a few questions of my own, does all the work done to the book affect the value or not? do we consider this book truly unrestorded ? or unrestored with an asterix******? , and why as a previous post states, was the article removed when CC was informed about it ? was a call then made to CGC to remove the article? was there an attempt to hide precious details about this book, fearing it would hurt the auction price? this smells of collusion, no matter which way you look at it.

If the owner wish not to have the book shown before it was slabbed...it's the owner wish to have the linked removed. If CGC wants to remove it, it's their discretion. The book look fantastic now and CS did a great job with non restorative work. Keeping in mind, their are folks who would obtain single page from the Action 1 to own a piece of history. Anytime Action 1 surface, it makes headlines.

I posted the link to the article in question, and this raises a few questions of my own, does all the work done to the book affect the value or not? do we consider this book truly unrestorded ? or unrestored with an asterix******? , and why as a previous post states, was the article removed when CC was informed about it ? was a call then made to CGC to remove the article? was there an attempt to hide precious details about this book, fearing it would hurt the auction price? this smells of collusion, no matter which way you look at it.

If the owner wish not to have the book shown before it was slabbed...it's the owner wish to have the linked removed. If CGC wants to remove it, it's their discretion. The book look fantastic now and CS did a great job with non restorative work. Keeping in mind, their are folks who would obtain single page from the Action 1 to own a piece of history. Anytime Action 1 surface, it makes headlines.

I am not even remotely a buyer/bidder for this book, but I am going to throw my two cents anyway.

I think this book will do really, really well. First, the fact that it's an Action 1. The fact that it's got good eye appeal for the grade and defects.

The other thing that I think will add bidders is the fact that Comic Connect is should be upfront about the cleaning and pressing. Matt did do a wonderful job and it's something he should be proud. Putting more information out there about what was done, who did it and scans (before/after) I think adds value to the book. Why ?

Because if I am a bidder and I know all the details, there isn't hesitation about bidding. You don't have people saying "Hmm...I can't be sure what's been done, so I will wait for another copy."

This gives collectors piece of mind.

I am not even remotely a buyer/bidder for this book, but I am going to throw my two cents anyway.

I think this book will do really, really well. First, the fact that it's an Action 1. The fact that it's got good eye appeal for the grade and defects.

The other thing that I think will add bidders is the fact that Comic Connect is should be upfront about the cleaning and pressing. Matt did do a wonderful job and it's something he should be proud. Putting more information out there about what was done, who did it and scans (before/after) I think adds value to the book. Why ?

Because if I am a bidder and I know all the details, there isn't hesitation about bidding. You don't have people saying "Hmm...I can't be sure what's been done, so I will wait for another copy."

You made some good points on having full disclosure on the book. I too would feel more confident about bidding knowing what was done to the book

I think if you're in the market for a 1.5 blue action #1 with a detached cover , you shouldn't be too worried about if its been pressed or dry clean or any more confident with knowing the info...

The work done on this book, is not considered restoration, and yet, the before and after clearly shows this book, looks like two completely different copies,

Matt did a superb job, and the book looks fantastic, but to see it in its before stages, make me, wonder, hmmm....

"I guess the integrity of the book is the same/better, ??"

I will never know, but I'll assume its never taken out of the CGC case,

Who cares, right??

B

The work done on this book, is not considered restoration, and yet, the before and after clearly shows this book, looks like two completely different copies,

Matt did a superb job, and the book looks fantastic, but to see it in its before stages, make me, wonder, hmmm....

"I guess the integrity of the book is the same/better, ??"

I will never know, but I'll assume its never taken out of the CGC case,

Who cares, right??

B

:preach::juggle:

I wonder from an investment standpoint if someone was to buy this book now and then hold it for re-sale later what if any ramifications there would be because of this information that has now come to light? While Matt did do great work it is clear that Comic Connect did not want this information getting out there. If they had no problem with it getting out there they would have given full disclosure about the work done in the auction description and not have had the link removed, It all looks "fishy" to me. I was excited to bid on this book, but sadly no longer.

That's the thing though. If a few people already saw the before pix, it would make sense that the pictures would spread around to other potential buyers. Having said that it would be better off just to have the before pictures up as well to prevent any suspiciousness.

Mike, I understand your point. It's always welcome to know more info which is vital to collectors and buyers. If one wish to disclose or not disclose, it's there preference and I respect that. The market accepts pressing and cleaning in a non restorative manner, so this is the norm. If one feels not content with the before pictures and cannot accept it, don't buy it. For me, I don't like Signature books or trimmed books, so I don't buy it.

Its like selling real estate 50 years ago, one page contract, done, now its a 15 page contract, with tons of disclaimers,

Like any high dollar purchase, the bigger the sales numbers on certain books, at some point

THE SELLER OR AGENT WILL HAVE TO DISCLOSE ANY AND ALL PERTINANT FACTS PERTAINING TO THE BOOK, THAT HE OR SHE IS AWARE OF,

its coming and or here upon us, now,

BB

True Bunky. At six figures, I would want to know everything that was done to improve the appeal of a home I'm parking into; same with a six figure book. But, I will say its still exciting to look at a book that was found in the walls of a home after all these years. :) truly a cool find.

Shouldn't it be noted on the slab label that there are tears on multiple pages? I would not have known that if not for that article. Rick is right, this is a weak 1.5, and seems more like a 1.0 or 0.5. If it was any other book, it would probably not have graded this high.

Having seen my share of actual 0.5's I can tell you that there's no way this is a 0.5. Not in any universe.

Shouldn't it be noted on the slab label that there are tears on multiple pages? I would not have known that if not for that article. Rick is right, this is a weak 1.5, and seems more like a 1.0 or 0.5. If it was any other book, it would probably not have graded this high.

Having seen my share of actual 0.5's I can tell you that there's no way this is a 0.5. Not in any universe.

Agreed...1.0 maybe, but no way a .5.

Its like selling real estate 50 years ago, one page contract, done, now its a 15 page contract, with tons of disclaimers,

BB

And let's not even get into the vagaries of an insurance policy...... :baiting::rulez:

I believe this book was at Megacon?-Rick?

Nice book I have no problem with the grade, no pieces out minor rust. I do think it's total the tears to the pages and back cover are not noted on the label.

James G

There is no responsibility for a seller or auction house to describe a comic being presently offered for what it is was, . They have a great responsibilty to give a detailed and accurate description of what IT IS NOW.....when it is about to be sold in its "as is" condition. Would it be nice to know everything possible about condition altering recent changes to a high dollar potential purchase such as a six figure Action #1 ? Of course! :makepoint: .....but there is a difference between responsibilty / accurate description, and "what would be nice".

We don't live in that "would be nice" world :boo: ........which would be nice if we did :cloud9::rulez: