• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting GPA Current?

265 posts in this topic

Appreciate the input so far.........

1) a few dealers do report their private sales to GPA - so why not try to encourage more?

2) people continue to offer responses saying (and i'll use an analogy to paraphrase) "we'll never get 100% of the DNA in our brains functional, so let's not worry whether we're 3% or 5% today"

(of course, this is extreme and unrealistic- but you see my point? why wouldn't we push for more data, so that the "gap" was atleast smaller?

Frankly, i'm really surprised this isn't more important on the thread list......

By the way, i didn't know some groups had been banned from submitting their sales data (now that's a shame); are the circumstances documented somewhere

Frankly, I'm getting rather annoyed at your signature wall of nice comics. It makes me too jealous :signofftopic:lol:cloud9:

What about the 100's of thousands of dollars of CGC books that these boards sell that aren't reported? Surely our information would help the accuracy of GPA greatly.

Welcome back sir :hi:

Presumably there is some selection in what gets reported

Not from one source, there shouldn't be. Whether you're an auction house or dealer, you need to report every sale you make.

I couldn't agree more...just seems from what I've gathered in discussions that this doesn't happen as much as desired.

Case in point, the X-men 5.0 you offered me. I want to pay the low end and you want the high end.

Routlette wants the high end? NOOOOO! That's can't be true. :o

:facepalm: When you ASSume.......

Bio-rupp isn't talking about me.....wasn't my x-men 1 5.0 (not that it matters).

And the whole point of the thread, Marc, is that GPA data isn't telling the whole story (or even a decent chunk of the story) so we should enhance the data.

If GPA range is $1,000 to $2,000 and the seller wants $3,000.......still a bargain if the reality of the last few sales is they've been $4,000.......

Case in point, the X-men 5.0 you offered me. I want to pay the low end and you want the high end.

Bio-rupp isn't talking about me.....wasn't my x-men 1 5.0 (not that it matters).

And the whole point of the thread, Marc, is that GPA data isn't telling the whole story (or even a decent chunk of the story) so we should enhance the data.

If GPA range is $1,000 to $2,000 and the seller wants $3,000.......still a bargain if the reality of the last few sales is they've been $4,000.......

GPA is telling the best story it can with the data it is provided. No secondary data source can be 100% accurate. The best way to arrive at a value is to triangulate other data points out there.

Er... yes sir... it was you. And it wasn't for a # 1. Never said it was. It was for a # 94. Here is the thread. I was willing to pay $130ish based on low GPA from the last year and you priced it at a fair price of $175 plus ship which is on the high end (even tho the last two sales reported were like $180 or so).

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=293661&Number=6561004#Post6561004

I'm assuming it was the one you had on ebay for $399.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-94-CGC-5-0-OW-W-Bronze-Age-Key-Marvel-Comic-New-X-men-Begin-Awesome-L-K-/300883232118?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item460e09c576

Perhaps part of the problem with GPA inconsistencies is the high prices posted on ebay sales threads in hopes of getting that noobie collector to jump and pay that much is skewering the prices in terms of data.

I mean if you sold that copy at $399 or a little less and current GPA average is around $180... does that stabilize the market for that grade of book or throw it into a flux?

Now I'm not saying a dealer can't sell for whatever price he chooses... but that may be part of the problem.

Er... yes sir... it was you. And it wasn't for a # 1. Never said it was. It was for a # 94. Here is the thread. I was willing to pay $130ish based on low GPA from the last year and you priced it at a fair price of $175 plus ship which is on the high end (even tho the last two sales reported were like $180 or so).

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=293661&Number=6561004#Post6561004

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-94-CGC-5-0-OW-W-Bronze-Age-Key-Marvel-Comic-New-X-men-Begin-Awesome-L-K-/300883232118?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item460e09c576

Perhaps part of the problem with GPA inconsistencies is the high prices posted on ebay sales threads in hopes of getting that noobie collector to jump and pay that much is skewering the prices in terms of data.

I mean if you sold that copy at $399 or a little less and current GPA average is around $180... does that stabilize the market for that grade of book or throw it into a flux?

Now I'm not saying a dealer can't sell for whatever price he chooses... but that may be part of the problem.

:popcorn:

But if all eBay sales are there and all Heritage sales are there and ... then market prices are in GPA. A sale in a widely-followed auction effectively is the market price.

If you are looking at a book where there are no recent sales in GPA, it would be nice to know that there was an unrecorded CLink sale the month before. But if it's a low-dollar book, then overpaying a bit isn't a disaster. If it's a high-dollar book, it's on you for not monitoring the major auction sites.

I sure wish GPA had CLink sales recorded but it's still a great source of pricing data. If there were a feasible way to increase the amount of sound data included on the site, I'm sure he would already be doing it.

GPA is telling the best story it can with the data it is provided. No secondary data source can be 100% accurate. The best way to arrive at a value is to triangulate other data points out there.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I ASSume you are correct :grin:

Whoops, my bad - i completely forgot about your thread for x-men 94s..... I assumed #1, because that was a one-off situation for me.

My copy sold for $250 - last week - which seems to be in the middle of the range, not that it matters

This is getting a little tiring, because it seems we're aruging for the sake of arguing.......let's focus for a moment:

All I am asking is:

1) Is GPA better off now, having the selection effect that it does?

- Dealer x reports when (s)he feels like it

- Dealer y reports religiously

- Dealer z never reports

If you think the answer is yes, so be it. If you think no, like I do....then,

2) Should we, the most informed group out there, look for a way to improve the reporting, to benefit the integrity of the hobby.

Thanks,

Joey

The answer is obvious. Of course we want better accounting of all the data. Reality squashes that hope because it isn't possible and won't happen.

GPA is the best we have and I'm sure the owner is doing his best to provide those of us who subscribe to it.

I understand what you are shooting for here Joey.

Problem is it would take something the scope of Soundscan that they started using in the early 90's to track retail music sales with.

It might work tracking Action Comics # 1 with its 60 total numbered slabs... but when dealing with a book like X-Men #94 and its over 3500 slabbed examples spread out all over the world... its going to be too much of a mammoth undertaking to try to top what GPA is doing right now.

In reality though, the same technology that lets us scan barcodes with our data phones could be used to scan the CGC label and report a sales price. Now all you have to worry about is the honesty of the reporting.

Another scenario, Boscoe calls me and sells me his 94 cause he needs baby formula... I doubt if he will take the time to report what he got out of it.

Besides how could he prove that price... since he is a scallywag :)

What about the 100's of thousands of dollars of CGC books that these boards sell that aren't reported? Surely our information would help the accuracy of lower GPA greatly because everyone here is a cheap azz.

Fixed that for ya. (thumbs u