• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 501 review sums things up well (possible spoilers)

13 posts in this topic

I'll give Oeming credit for Thor, people are talking about and seem to be enjoying it.

But Avengers #500 was not very good, and what I've seen of Avengers 501 is even worse. I liked that review because it pretty much summed up a lot of my own impressions of Bendis' take on the Avengers.

I think that in order to get to the type of Avengers book that Bendis wanted to write he had to destroy the kind of Avengers book we've had for the last couple of decades. He had to do it brutally and not give it a lot of thought or respect. He had to reduce characters and plotlines that have been developed for months and years by other writers to mere cliches or just ignore them entirely. It's clear that Bendis hasn't read the Avengers in years, and didn't really want to. He's got an idea for taking the concept to another level... only problem is... who wanted the old one destroyed?

Avengers had been one of the few Marvel books that has been consistant and enjoyable since it's relaunch back in 1999.

Having not read comics for a great many years until recently, I have to admit I liked this enough to want to purchase all the Dis- books.

Now, I know I would be in the minority here, but I wonder if other "new" readers might view it the same way, or if I'm simply going to be one of the few.

"Basically, almost every page of this book misses the point of the Avengers by a mile, which would be fine if it weren't the foundation upon which Bendis was resting his understanding of the team and the direction of his story."

I really want to like this run as I am a fan of Bendis' Daredevil work. But the above quote from the fourthrail site hits the button for his Avengers. #500 & #501 has been written totally out of character pretty much for each Avenger. So far he could have just changed the name of each character and it would have made as much sense as how he has these established heroes acting.

Of course they are being manipulated for dramatic effect but it is coming off more like the "Team Beyonder" train wreck than good writing.

#501 does echo my current sig line fairly good though. grin.gif

Of course they are being manipulated for dramatic effect but it is coming off more like the "Team Beyonder" train wreck than good writing.

"Them's fightin' words!"

<3 Beyonder & Chrisco

hill2.jpg

Allright now...don't make me call in my Team BOSS captain(Osborn_France)..cause he'll get the UN involved 27_laughing.gif and it'll be a mess of 893censored-thumb.gif then.

The mixture of your avatar and that photo has me humming the Deliverance tune 893whatthe.gif

Who's got a squealing pig icon?

Having not read comics for a great many years until recently, I have to admit I liked this enough to want to purchase all the Dis- books.

Now, I know I would be in the minority here, but I wonder if other "new" readers might view it the same way, or if I'm simply going to be one of the few.

I Stand with you too. I like to see suff hit the fan. I look at this as what it is COMICS...

So it's not what YOU want, read something else.It's cool that things change,it's not your father's

Avengers any more. 27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

"Them's fightin' words!"

<3 Beyonder & Chrisco

hill2.jpg

Allright now...don't make me call in my Team BOSS captain(Osborn_France)..cause he'll get the UN involved 27_laughing.gif and it'll be a mess of 893censored-thumb.gif then.

The mixture of your avatar and that photo has me humming the Deliverance tune 893whatthe.gif

Who's got a squealing pig icon?

Or Monty Python's "I'm a lumberjack".

"Them's fightin' words!"

<3 Beyonder & Chrisco

hill2.jpg

Hey! We may suck, but we certainly aren't scared of France! shocked.gifwink.giftongue.gif

Avengers 501 was pretty uneventful, but more typically Bendis than the previous issue. Lots of characters standing around and talking (completely out of character). Can't say that I enjoyed it at all.

To Bendis' credit I thought Ultimate Spider-Man 65, which also came out this week was very good.